Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters play at Thetford Forest, July 13 '13

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.thetfordandbrandontimes.co.u ... witterfeed

Elvis Costello and The Imposters to play at Thetford Forest

Monday, March 18, 2013
9:55 AM

Elvis Costello and The Imposters will be heading to Thetford Forest this summer.

This is the sixth and final headline act confirmed to appear in Thetford Forest as part of Forest Live, the Forestry Commission’s annual concert series.

Elvis Costello, whose career has spanned more than 35 years, is considered to be one of the most important singer-songwriters to surface from the punk/New Wave era.

With absorbing lyrics and memorable tunes set to his distinctive vocal, he has generated a songbook of classic material including ‘Alison’, ‘Pump It Up’, ‘Oliver’s Army’ and ‘Veronica’ as well as his timeless cover of ‘Good Year For The Roses’.

He will be performing at High Lodge on Saturday, July 13.

Forest Live is an independent programme organised by the Forestry Commission bringing music to new audiences without commercial branding or sponsorship. Income generated from ticket sales is spent on improving the local forests for both people and wildlife.

Other acts playing at Thetford Forest include Blondie, Paloma Faith, James and The Script.

Tickets £39 go on sale at 9am on Friday, March 22, from the Forestry Commission box office on 03000 680400 or http://www.forestry.gov.uk/music.

Tickets
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-95TE7J
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play at Thetford Forest, July 13

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:Other acts playing at Thetford Forest include Blondie, Paloma Faith, James and The Script.
And Paul Weller is there on Friday 12th July.

What a great weekend that will be. Shame Elvis has wiped out my funds! I can't see this being a Spectacular Spinning Songbook show either.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
krm

Post by krm »

official webpage says "Elvis Costello and The Imposters leave the Wheel behind for summer shows and play a host of European dates"!
no spinning insanities for the newly added shows!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hah, and there I am taking my entire family to Westport Co. Mayo to see him outdoors two weeks before, and Thetford is only up the road from here! Ah well, never seen him in Ireland before so that will be a real experience, and I have lots of in-laws in the area, and although the Thetford date happens to be on my 49th birthday, it looks like I'll be celebrating it playing with my band on the south coast at the wedding of a reasonably well-known journalist, so am not free to go to this. Would have enjoyed seeing James again, almost 30 years exactly after seeing them support New Order at the Tower Ballroom, Birmingham when they were unknown. How I loved their first release, the Forest Fire EP.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I am going to try and make this. Does anyone know what the attendance is for this. I noticed Weller and Paloma Faith are sold out.

i like to do one outdoor event a year
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

6000 according to the UEA ticket website:

http://www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk/venu ... rest1.aspx

Seen Crowded House and the Beach Boys (without Brian) in other years - pretty good outdoor venue in the Forest. A Saturday gig would allow a walk first.

Otis - James tickets are still on sale on UEA website.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sheeptotheslaughter

Fishfinger king wrote:6000 according to the UEA ticket website:

http://www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk/venu ... rest1.aspx

Seen Crowded House and the Beach Boys (without Brian) in other years - pretty good outdoor venue in the Forest. A Saturday gig would allow a walk first.

Otis - James tickets are still on sale on UEA website.
Mrs Sheep would like to make a weekend of this and sadly neither of us drive. At the risk of making you the official tour guide. Is there anywhere near by we could stay and have reasonable access via transport be it by cab, train or bus.

The youngest Sheep also wants us out of the way so she can have a party.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Premier Inn?

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/HotelsNear ... gland.html

There is a Center Parc nearby in Elveden Forest!

http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/villages/elveden/index.jsp

Hope your house survives!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Sod theElvis gig, I'll persuade VG to be my getaway driver and we'll ransack Sheep's house for Costello stuff and alcohol :lol:
verbal gymnastics

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:Mrs Sheep would like to make a weekend of this and sadly neither of us drive. At the risk of making you the official tour guide. Is there anywhere near by we could stay and have reasonable access via transport be it by cab, train or bus.

The youngest Sheep also wants us out of the way so she can have a party.
sulky lad wrote:Sod theElvis gig, I'll persuade VG to be my getaway driver and we'll ransack Sheep's house for Costello stuff and alcohol :lol:
And lock up your daughter. Literally! :lol:

It'll be a second mortgage job if you stay at Center Parcs.

On an unrelated note Thetford Forest is, according to Channel 4, a good area for dogging :shock:
sheeptotheslaughter

If you can bear a load of 17 and 18 year olds 'partying' to crap music you are all more than welcome. Plus they will need me to buy the alcohol so they will be going 'dry'

Thanks for the advice on where to stay.

I may give the dogging a miss
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

verbal gymnastics

Mrs VG is now away that weekend so I'm definitely out.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bring the kids - let them play in the forest - seems reasonable to me!
verbal gymnastics

We could play a 3 hour game of hide and seek :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

VG wrote
Mrs VG is now away that weekend so I'm definitely out.
But not dogging ! :wink:
Think the two miniVGs would rather not be dragged around the Forest when suddenly VG says, "Oh, what's that noise over there where all these people are standing ". How convenient!
verbal gymnastics

Mind you, having them in tow would give me a better chance of getting on stage (SSS or not!).

I'll save the money for a trip to New York to see EC and the Roots.

I wonder if I could book them for my 50th birthday party. They could use it as a rehearsal. And there'll be a buffet :lol:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i sure hope all that can swing it...VG, Sulky, King Foyle and maybe Mr. A Mace & more will ALL make it to NYC when the inevitable run of NEW YORK shows are announced. for the UK contingency, i have a little hunch to share. about thirty minutes outside of NYC in Westchester County, they have recently re-opened a LEGENDARY concert hall from the 1970's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Th ... _New_York) you should see the listing of some of the double/triple bills back in those days!!! for an example...FACES opening for BLACK SABBATH! YES opening for HUMBLE PIE! and LOADS more.

anyway, this past September was the reopening after years of inactivity and if memory is correct, i think THE ROOTS did a three night stand around New Year's Eve. hence, i got a feeling that this might indeed be the place for the shows or at least 1 or 2 with another 1 or 2 at the Apollo or Beacon in NYC! so, if i am correct, do not be intimidated as it is actually within walking distance from the trains that begin in Manhattan that do head up to the suburbs and i believe would be quite easy for all tourists to get to if indeed staying in the Big Apple! AND as the Capitol Theatre in neighboring New Jersey was my FIRST EC show in 1979. i sure would dig seeing him at this GREAT sister venue. two ACE theatres, so sad the one in Passaic, NJ is gone, goodbye. Razed i do believe. but, trust me...this remaining one is a gem, both visually and acoustically.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Pars

Post by Pars »

Weather's looking mighty fine for Thetford on Saturday.Not a fan of outdoor gigs usually but looking forward to this one.17 year old and 15 year old seeing EC for the first time too.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Now being Tweeted by Elvis as being his 'last UK appearance in 2013'.
verbal gymnastics

Maybe Meadowlark, the support act, will drop out and the tickets will be free. It could happen...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Twitter
Another cracking gig at Thetford Forest. 2 hours of classic Elvis Costello. Brilliant weather, great music, what's not to like?
Nobody does sinister like Elvis Costello. Superb at Thetford Forest tonight
Enjoyed #elviscostello but i have no voice left and am sooo tired. He can still wail. Thanks for singing #alison for me x
Hmmm....
when seeing elvis costello there was a sea of middle-aged drunken adults, and then me

https://twitter.com/kjh21122112/status/ ... 9459718144

https://twitter.com/jocelaaar/status/356184534020153344

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

More from Twitter:
My god Elvis Costello. Elvis Costello my god. My Elvis Costello god. Elvis my god Costello. ‪#goodgigthen‬ ‪#thetfordforest‬
He did lots of early stuff from My aim is True and This Year's Model, along with the big hits and finished on Tramp the Dirt down!
Pars

Post by Pars »

Special show for a number of reasons.First time in over 30 years that I have seen EC play outdoors.My 17 year old and 15 year old were at their first EC gig and loved it.Superb weather.We were right at the front.Enthusiastic crowd around us but can't speak for the picnic hamper/deck chair crowd behind us.Set list was good.Obviously EC still pushing a "Best of" selection.Alan Partridge would have loved it."Tramp the Dirt Down" has never been my fave EC song but EC finished the show with a blistering version.Pure vitriol.Even I was surprised by the ferocity of this performance.