Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv -

Was asking an old girlfriend who's in sales for Oracle in Dallas
what she thought of Elvis's opening gig for The Police. She said he
was too loud and distorted, but that she got to see him in Vegas
recently at Oracle's yearly kickoff and he was "Great!" Turns out
he's also playing for Oracle's "Open World Appreciation Event"
September 24 beneath the San Francisco Bay Bridge on Treasure Island

- site of the 1939 World's Fair. Also on the bill: UB40, Seal, Alan Jackson.

SF details here: http://www.oracle.com/openworld/2008/appreciation.html

Lang
stormwarning

Re: Elvis doing corporate show, San Fran,24 Sept. 08

Post by stormwarning »

Now that's bizarre. Oracle are paying my flight and hotel to attend this conference, had no idea EC was part of the package . I'm getting a similar jolly from IBM too, but all that's on offer is Martin Short, EW&F and The Village People.
Where's North from 'ere?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Cool. I've already lined up a pass to this show. Although, I think each band is given a 30 minute set or something short like that. I heard when Elton John played (two years ago?) he extended his time to an one or hour. Maybe E.C. could do the same. One thing that is certain about this show and the event - dudes galore - international action, too.

The IBM gig sounds OK. Martin Short is cool. EW&F... not so bad. That's crashable. V.P., no thanks.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

"Rounding out our world tour will be an all-American boardwalk carnival complete with an arcade midway, thrill rides, and down-home cuisine. Rising over the many games of chance and skill will be multiple Ferris wheels to take you high above the spectacle and dazzle you with breathtaking views of the San Francisco Bay Area."

Do you think Elvis will dig out The Comedians?
stormwarning wrote:Now that's bizarre. Oracle are paying my flight and hotel to attend this conference, had no idea EC was part of the package.
That's pretty lucky then Storm!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

So, who's going to this?
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

johnfoyle wrote:So, who's going to this?
I thought that I may have an inside shot -- but it looks like that's not going to happen.
It won't kill me to miss it, I suppose.
Solo set -- 45 minutes, I would think.
Anything otherwise -- it may kill me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 131HLO.DTL

San Francisco Chronicle

Sunday, September 21, 2008

This year's attraction: It's party time in San Francisco again, with high-tech giant Oracle taking over Moscone Center and the surrounding streets.

As usual, the hottest wristband will be for "Oracle appreciation night" - a combination high-tech boardwalk and pop fest being held out at Treasure Island on Wednesday featuring Elvis Costello, Seal, UB40, the Gin Blossoms, the Psychedelic Furs and, for country fans, Alan Jackson.

About 25,000 of the 46,000 conventiongoers will get into the event, which is being held at one of the old hangars and an adjacent pier out on the island - with the Bay Bridge as the backdrop.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Didn't realize that it was that big.
Somebody will tape it, I'd imagine.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I wonder if any of those 46,000 people will actually buy a copy of an Elvis CD after seeing him live for the first time.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Oracle IRM, the official blog

- be still my beating heart..........

http://blogs.oracle.com/irm/2008/09/irm ... _2008.html
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Has the date on this changed or is this some sort of scam?

http://sonicliving.com/event/1016825/El ... an_Jackson

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

25,000 - wow.

I wonder if there'll be a further few thousand who weren't able to get in!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Blog coverage that may , after this evening, feature E.C.-

http://blogs.oracle.com/oracleopenworld/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Is Elvis on first or last? And ' dedicated fans on every continent' ? Are they seething with revenge and guilt in the Villa Las Estrellas(located in the Chilean Antarctic base of Frei Montalva, in King George Island) ? If so, do let us know!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Las_Estrellas

http://www.oracle.com/openworld/2008/appreciation.html

Oracle OpenWorld Appreciation Event

In appreciation of our customers, partners, and prospects, the Oracle team produces one particularly legendary celebration every year: the Oracle OpenWorld Appreciation Event. In 2008, we intend to exceed your wildest expectations for this always-extravagant gala.

This year starts with a truly unique location that has hosted one of the world's most spectacular events—namely the 1939 World's Fair. Treasure Island is a man-made atoll located smack in the middle of San Francisco Bay and just beneath another engineering marvel, the San Francisco Bay Bridge. On this small patch of land, we will conclude Oracle OpenWorld 2008 by making some serious noise.

Once you arrive on Treasure Island, get ready to rock to some of today's hottest international concert performers, in an unforgettable outdoor setting. Joining us from around the globe for the Oracle OpenWorld 2008 Appreciation Event are (drum roll please):

* Elvis Costello: A master of weaving many musical genres, including pub rock, punk rock, and new wave, this consummate performer has dedicated fans on every continent.
* Seal: A singer-songwriter from England of Nigerian and Afro-Caribbean ancestry, Seal smoothly delivers rhythm and blues, soul, funk, house, and dance.
* UB40: This reggae band has featured the same eight members since 1978 and boasts more than 50 singles that have connected with fans in the U.K and beyond.
* Alan Jackson: Balancing the global lineup is Alan Jackson, a country western sensation from the United States. This award-winning singer-songwriter blends honky-tonk with mainstream country sounds.
* The Psychedelic Furs: From the late 1970s into the 90s, the Psychedelic Furs earned tremendous respect from critics and fans alike for their music's mix of punk rock, poetic lyricism, and seductive rhythmic hooks.
* The Gin Blossoms: An alternative rock band formed in 1987, the band today is considered to have a wide influence on modern rock, due to its consolidation of melodic rock, folk, and country elements.

And there's more!

Rounding out our world tour will be an all-American boardwalk carnival complete with an arcade midway, thrill rides, and down-home cuisine. Rising over the many games of chance and skill will be multiple Ferris wheels to take you high above the spectacle and dazzle you with breathtaking views of the San Francisco Bay Area.

It's our way of saying thanks for being such an important part of the greater Oracle community.

* When: Wednesday, September 24, 8:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
* Where: Treasure Island, San Francisco Bay
* Attire: We suggest that you bring a light jacket. Treasure Island can be chilly even during the warmest seasons.
* Who: The Oracle OpenWorld Appreciation Event is free to registered full-conference attendees. All other registered conference attendees may purchase as many as three tickets to the Appreciation Event for $350 per ticket, on a first-come, first-served basis.*

*Tickets are limited and are available on a first-come, first-served basis to registered attendees (including full-conference attendees wishing to purchase additional tickets) who choose this as an add-on during the registration process or who update their profile with this add-on by logging on to My Oracle OpenWorld Reg. Tickets may not be resold and will be available for pickup at Materials Pickup locations in Moscone South Lobby and Moscone West, Lobby Level 2. All ticket holders must have Appreciation Event Wristbands to board Appreciation Event shuttles and to attend the event. For safety reasons, those under 21 years of age are not allowed at any Oracle OpenWorld special event.
slobin

Post by slobin »

I've managed to get myself a ticket for this through work - can't wait.
For those in town, there seem to be some tickets available on Craigslist. The prices are coming down since I checked the other day. "Official" price (for conference attendees who want to bring a friend) is $350; they're going for ~$75-100. There's probably free food and drink included, so that's not too bad.
According to the brochure that came with my wristband, Elvis (& Impostors) go on last at 10:45 tonight, and the event ends at midnight so hopefully we'll get at least an hour set. There are 2 stages (indoors/out), Elvis is playing on the outdoor one.
Josh
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

The Gin Blossoms? Really? Talk about a blast from the past--New Miserable Experience was definitely one of the first CDs I ever bought...
slobin

Post by slobin »

Quick recap:
Great show, played about 1 hr 20 minutes but it felt much more substantial than the Police gigs. No pause between songs - they managed to squeeze a lot in.
Band was Imposters minus Steve plus Austin + John from Clover! Took them a few songs to get warmed up, but after that they were very tight.
Lots of old stuff (inc. at least half of the 1st album), a few covers, one song I didn't recognize (something new, maybe?)
Elvis was in mostly very good voice, and good mood. Can't wait to see him again at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass.
Now, to sleep.
Josh
migdd

Post by migdd »

Thanks for the recap! Did you get the setlist?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I managed to score a pass to this show. Great show! Free food, free drinks (not the best selection). The event had a "boardwalk/amusement park" theme, so they had a bunch of rides and games. I'd say the scariest thing about the whole event was seeing adult men caring stuffed unicorns as they watched the performers on stage. I hope they were bringing them home for their daughters.

Highlights: I Don't Wanna Go Home and Radio Sweetheart... Less than Zero was pretty good, too. They were in fine form. They did all the popular Elvis tunes as well - Pump it Up, Alison, PLU, Watching the Detectives.

I look forward to the HSB gig. Something tells me that was EC's High Whines and Spirits (super)group. Maybe they will throw in Bill Kirchen, too.

off to the beach.. later.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

migdd

Post by migdd »

Elvis looks like he's trying to win an award for Best Robert Crumb lookalike! 8)
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Does anyone have the official set list to this show? I think they played Love is Gone, too. It seems like the set list was in line w/ the gig E.C. did last year at GAMH.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Indeed!

http://idioticthoughtsofamadman.blogspo ... house.html

'Idiotic thoughts of a MadMan' blog -

(extract)

Elvis Costello
was terrible. He was out of tune, off timing and looked like he was 3 sheets to the wind.