bad gifts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

bad gifts

Post by mood swung »

you've given...

I gave my mom one of these a few years ago. I think she loved it.

My dad did not.

this year she's getting one of these for her cabin!

Last edited by mood swung on Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Mine gets another gift certificate to Home Depot. Several years in a row now, but he keeps asking for it.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I bought my brother an album once. It didn't mean a thing.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

My father and my sister have birthdays at around the same time, so sometimes we do a joint party. When I was ten, I looked for hours for the two of them, and finally came home with what I thought were perfect presents. My dad, ever gracious, hung the "BARTMAN" poster in his bedroom until we moved. My sister, having moved out of the house by this time, was under no similar obligation regarding her identical BARTMAN poster...
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Oh crap, you know I must have been drinking when I saw this thread the first time. I thought Moody posted about giving "dad gifts" - boy, do I feel silly now.

He really likes the gift certificate thing.

Ya'll carry on. :roll:
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Wehn I was 22, my mother gave me a pair of slacks that were sky blue and had an elastic waist. It was 1994. I have no idea what she might have been thinking, but thankfully they still had tags.

The worst gift I ever gave was probably a King Creole & the Coconuts CD. It had a song on it by Prince, and I figured my brother would like it. It was utter crap, which I discovered when he regifted it to me the following year.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
alexv

Post by alexv »

Noise, the record may have been crap, but I must note that back in 82 or 83 (the dates are fuzzy way back then), I spent New Year's Eve in the old Ritz in the company of the Kid and his merry band and it was the best party I ever attended. So, the records may have been crap, but they was funky.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

No, I liked Kid Creole & the Coconuts. "Endicott" and "My Male Curiosity" are great tunes. But this album was the one with which they jumped the shark. It was 1988, if that helps explain anything.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
alexv

Post by alexv »

Yes, I do remember those tunes. There was also one about Gina or was it Tina and the ski instructor. Great stuff. Campy but funky. The other day i got this old documentary starring Basquiat about downtown NYC in the 80s and lo and behold there's footage of the Cocoanuts doing their thing. Totally unexpected and frighteningly nostalgic. Sadly, everyone jumps the shark, Noise.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Do you know Coati Mundi's brilliant 'Me No Pop Eye'? Lovely. Loved the first KC&theCs LP too, and the second up to a point.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
alexv

Post by alexv »

Yes I do, Otis. Great name, Coati's.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Any kind of 'humorous' pet book....ooh wow, a version of a 'lad's mag' except it's for cats, and features cat things. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha..... :shock: