Rolling Stone : The Immortals of Rock

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
johnfoyle

Rolling Stone : The Immortals of Rock

Post by johnfoyle »

From the same feature that has Elvis writing about The Beatles ; some interesting writing .

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/co ... p?pid=2846

The Immortals are the greatest rock & roll artists of all time. They are also more than that. The fifty men, women and bands celebrated in the following pages (and in an exclusive photo gallery) are the singers, songwriters, record makers and performers who are continually in the music -- as pioneers, teachers and stars; touching our souls and pulling us to our feet, on a daily basis -- even when they are no longer with us. And this is not just a list.

1) The Beatles by Elvis Costello

2) Bob Dylan by Robbie Robertson

3) Elvis Presley by Bono

4) The Rolling Stones by Steven Van Zandt

5) Chuck Berry by Joe Perry

6) Jimi Hendrix by John Mayer

7) James Brown by Rick Rubin

8) Little Richard by Little Richard

9) Aretha Franklin by Jerry Wexler

10) Ray Charles by Van Morrison
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

thanks john... but why´s Dylan always in the second place? Behind the Beatles????? I mean, This ONE man wrote much more masterpieces than the Beatles (both as a group or in their poor individual careers)
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Yikes I think that's a bit overboard, B&C. I think it's pretty well accepted that the Beatles had a much broader range and a much larger impact on what popular music actually is. Such ratings are pretty dumb, I think, but if pressed I'd make the same choice. As it is, these lists almost always reflect white culture, whihc is a huge limitation in itself...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The Beatles influenced Dylan as much as Dylan influenced The Beatles. Any documentary or book on the history of rock 'n' roll will tell you so. If it weren't for Dylan, The Beatles wouldn't have started writing more interesting lyrics and pushing the envelope, but it wasn't for The Beatles, Dylan wouldn't have gone electric.

I'm not sure that list is supposed to be in order anyway, but it looks like a very interesting read. I'll have to check that out at some point.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Bob And Charlotte

BlueChair wrote:The Beatles influenced Dylan as much as Dylan influenced The Beatles. Any documentary or book on the history of rock 'n' roll will tell you so. If it weren't for Dylan, The Beatles wouldn't have started writing more interesting lyrics and pushing the envelope, but it wasn't for The Beatles, Dylan wouldn't have gone electric.

I'm not sure that list is supposed to be in order anyway, but it looks like a very interesting read. I'll have to check that out at some point.

Not sure about that 'Dylan went electric becouse of the Beatles' stuff Blue...
Any documentary or book on the history of rock´n´roll will tell you that Dylan only started listening folk when he was a grown teenage. And he listened to Buddy Holy, Elvis, Chuck Berry, etc etc before that.
It was a natural step. BTW, as MacCartney said, Dylan was a hero for them. And i can´t see how Lennon could write such songs as I´m A Loser, Hide Your Love Away or I´m The Walrus without Dylan. MacCartney said that he even bought a hat - after seeing Dylans debut album cover.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Nor can I imaginge "Like a Rolling Stone" or many other songs from his electric period without the Beatles influence on Dylan. (I can't imagine Eleanor Rigby without thinking of Dylan. It cuts both ways).

You're a Dylan fan, and that's cool. But the Beatles did more to change the face of modern music than any other artist or group, hands down.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Bob, I'm not denying Dylan's influence on The Beatles. It was profound. An album like Rubber Sould could have never happened without Dylan. He also introduced the Beatles to marijuana.

BUT,

You can't underscore the influence The Beatles had on Dylan. It may have not been immediate, but it was there. Sure, Dylan never tried to do anything psychedelic or orchestral, but it was after his exposure to The Beatles that he started moving away from the whole protest thing. I remember an associate who was close with Dylan saying that it was because of Lennon that Dylan went out and purchased an electric guitar. That alone speaks volumes, as it would shape two and a half of Dylan's pivotal mid-60's albums: Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde. It's also widely known that "Fourth Time Around" is heavily inspired by "Norwegian Wood."

As for noise's comment:
noiseradio wrote: You're a Dylan fan, and that's cool. But the Beatles did more to change the face of modern music than any other artist or group, hands down.
I agree with you, although one could argue that without Dylan's influence, The Beatles wouldn't have become innovative. But you could also say that about a lot of different influences.

I dunno, for me it's hard to imagine popular music, or any form of music without The Beatles or Bob Dylan having ever existed. Both are extremely important to the development of music as we know it.

The Beatles and Dylan both pushed the limits when it came to genre... The Beatles can't simply be called a pop band, and Dylan can't simply be called a folk artist.

Both Lennon/McCartney and Dylan, and even Harrison had groundbreaking songwriting methods that would influence generations upon generations of songwriters.

The Beatles (thanks in part to George Martin) used ground-breaking and production techniques in the studio, which led to many future classics of the 70's, 80's, 90's, and today.

In the case of Dylan, he proved that you didn't have to have a conventional "good" voice in order to be an effective singer/songwriter.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Methinks we have a chicken and egg situation here.
Bob And Charlotte

Alright guys... i agree with you all... Dylan´s the best!

.... 'nothing is better nothing is best' ....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

pophead,

true dat.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I can't wait til ten years from now when someone's kid finds this back issue and says "who the hell is this John Mayer guy who wrote about Hendrix?"
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I too will relish that moment, PH2K.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

okay, fine, i'm gonna get thumped. go ahead, y'all.

dylan does nothing for me. i've got blonde on blonde on tape, i can't listen to it.

i ADORE the beatles. if i had to ditch all my elvis or my beatles, i'd pitch elvis. i'd be quite unhappy about it, but the beatles are the best, for me.

is there something else i shoud try by dylan? i know he's great and all that, fine, but what i've heard has not grabbed me at all.

come on, educate poor widdle me.

(but am i a goner if i dislike blonde on blonde?)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

It's okay, Poppet. Come hang out with me and Gilli and gethappier's girlfriend...
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

as Yoko would have said: "Beatles rock"!
corruptio optimi pessima
gethappier

Dylan+Beatles=Elvis

Post by gethappier »

miss buenos aires wrote:It's okay, Poppet. Come hang out with me and Gilli and gethappier's girlfriend...
If you smashed Dylan and the beatles together and drugged the offspring with methamphetamine and beer, then you would have ELvis Costello and the Attractions...

This is why I don't understand Elvis fans that are indifferent to the Beatles or Dylan..
Poppet

Re: Dylan+Beatles=Elvis

Post by Poppet »

i'm okay w/ the speed and beer, as long as i don't hafta do the speed, (can i have single malt instead maybe?) and i did say i love the beatles. i just don't get dylan.

so WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I BE LISTENING TO PEOPLE???

or, is the only thing you have to say "Listen to Blonde on Blonde, it'll hook ya!" ???

hey, whatever, i need more cd's to buy like, well, nothing.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Poppet, in my opinion you should listen to Blood on the Tracks and New Morning. You're almost bound to find something to like on one or the other, and once Bob gets a foothold, he'll reel ya in.

If you don't have an objection to live albums, Before the Flood is a real good intro. It includes some inspired performances of quite a few of his great early songs, and the Band do kick some serious ass!
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

HS, thank you. i've added those to my running list of things to find to listen to, or procure cheap from the used store.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Rolling Stone Sucks

Madonna by Britney Spears - Wow, cant wait to read that - must rush out and buy a copy.

And this is not just a list. - Oh yeah? And why is that then? Because you say so? Because you are ROLLING STONE? Bite me. :roll:
Pov

Post by Pov »

To this day, the Beatles are just much more ingrained in our culture. Pick any person off the street. Ask them to name 5 Beatles songs, then ask them to name 5 Dylan songs. I suspect that most people would have an easier time with the Beatles songs.

My teenage niece went to summer camp with a very diverse group of people. She told me the one thing that brought them all together was when someone took out a guitar and started playing Beatles songs. Everyone knew the words, regardless of what country they were from, ethnic backgrounds or socio-economic classes.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Bob And Charlotte wrote: It was a natural step. BTW, as MacCartney said, Dylan was a hero for them. And i can´t see how Lennon could write such songs as I´m A Loser, Hide Your Love Away or I´m The Walrus without Dylan. MacCartney said that he even bought a hat - after seeing Dylans debut album cover.
One could argue that Dylan probably would not have been where is is today without the inspiration of the likes of Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger.

I for one would not classify Dylan as an immortal of "Rock" as he had (imho) very little influence on the direction that rock music took. The Beatles on the other hand have had a profound influence...and that influence is still being felt over 30 years after their demise.

Oh, and if Dylan can rank #2 on this list as a major influence on rock, then why isn't Robert Johnson in position #1? ;)
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Dylan was actually instrumental in bringing the Beatles and the rest of the rock world back to earth after the psychedelic "kitchen sink" productions of Sgt Pepper and its ilk by showing along with the Band that the way foward actually lay in a stripped back approach ala John Wesley Harding.
This is obviously apart from his infuence in showing the world that the you could actually use words in other ways and say things other than "She loves you yeah yeah yeah" in a rock n roll song. I read once how Dylan used to laugh at how eveyone screamed and shouted at the Beatles shows - he took great pride in saying that at his shows eveyone would shut up and try to catch to every word.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Hey! Hey! Everyone....

.... lets all give John Mayer some credit here.

:lol:

<3,
s.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

and what about the undoubted influence of Bryan Adams??
corruptio optimi pessima