Screen Villains

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Screen Villains

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Reading about "once Upon A TIme In THe West" on the dvd thread inspired this post - Movie Villains -

here are five of my favorites (no order) -

Frank (Henry Fonda) - Once Upon A Tme In THe West
Liberty Valance (Lee Marvin) - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Gregory Powell (James Woods) - The Onion Field
Szell (Laurence Olivier) - Marathon Man
Rico (Edward G Robinson) - Little Caesar
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Sir Anthony Hopkins) - Silence Of The Lambs
Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) - Psycho
HAL 9000 - 2001: A Space Oddysey
Frank Booth (Dennis Hopper) - Blue Velvet
Auric Goldfinger (Gert Frobe) - Goldfinger
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

The two Franks (Booth and, er, Fonda) are definitely in my Satanic pantheon...Here are some favorite performances, as is Lecter from Silence.

Angela Lansbury/Mrs. Iselin -- The Manchurian Candidate
Alan Rickman/Hans Gruber -- Die Hard
Jean Hagen/Lena Lamont -- Singin' in the Rain
Faye Dunaway - Network
John Vernon/Dean Wormer -- Animal House
Walter Matthau -- Fail Safe
Walter Brennan as Judge Roy Bean -- The Westerner
Christopher Lee/Lord Sumersisle -- The Wicker Man
Kenneth Branagh/Iago -- Othello
Claude Reins -- Notorious/The Adventures of Robin Hood
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Boy, you've forgotten Dr. Smith of LOST IN SPACE. Oh wait that's TV. I wonder what made me think of him????
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Blue, the HAL - 9000 is probably my favorite movie villain. I love that you end up feeling more for a computer than for the human beings.

I do anyway . . . maybe its just me.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Dai.... sy, daiiiiiii s eeeeeeee......

so sad...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

pip_52 wrote:Blue, the HAL - 9000 is probably my favorite movie villain. I love that you end up feeling more for a computer than for the human beings.

I do anyway . . . maybe its just me.
I think for most great villains (and heroes for that matter) you end up feeling mixed emotions about them. Are they really that bad? Are they really that good? Though I don't think there is a moment in Blue Velvet where I think Frank Booth is redeemable :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
A rope leash

Destiny

Post by A rope leash »

Yes, I often feel empathy for Dr Evil, because he's only doing what he was born to do. He's just being himself.

If I can feel sympathy for HAL, then why is it I have trouble feeling anything for the little boyborg in Artificial Intelligence?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Incredible choices! Lee Marvin was a cold bastard as Liberty Valance, wasn't he?

(in no particular order)

1. Bruce The Shark - Jaws
2. Christopher Walken - At Close Range
3. Ben Kingsley - Sexy Beast
4. Joseph Cotten - Shadow of A Doubt
5. Robert Mitchum - The Night of The Hunter
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

El Vez wrote:1. Bruce The Shark - Jaws
Was he really named Bruce? :lol:
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Lee Marvin was a cold bastard as Liberty Valance, wasn't he?
Plus he started the whole "dude" thing.
Boy, you've forgotten Dr. Smith of LOST IN SPACE
Dr. Smith was the hero of that show, not the villain - Don West is the bad guy. By the way, the entire first season is slated for DVD release in either January of February. 8)
bobster

Post by bobster »

[/quote]I think for most great villains (and heroes for that matter) you end up feeling mixed emotions about them. Are they really that bad? Are they really that good? Though I don't think there is a moment in Blue Velvet where I think Frank Booth is redeemable :lol:[/quote]

I think great villains come in two basic flavors -- the sympathetic ones that are fairly easy to relate to like HAL (who, after all, is only fighting for his own survival -- and he's the most human character in the whole film!), and those who are entirely unsympathetic and vile, but have some attractive or relatable qualities that make them compelling -- if only as a sort of evil wish fulfillment.

The two Franks, etc. are fascinating partly because of their self confidence and because they seem to revel in cruelty -- it almost looks fun to be that revolting. Then, we might hate them even more when we recognize that feeling in ourselves. It's sort of the same phenomenon as Lawrence of Arabia realizing he enjoyed killing and becoming upset and disgusted -- but not entirely giving up the joy of murder.

Hannibal Lecter is even more so -- because, as one mildly psychotic friend of mine said, he's just got one bad habit. Entirely self-aware of his evil -- which probably never or rarely happens in real life, even with pure psychopaths -- but otherwise a thoroughly well-adjusted, charming guy. As played by Hopkins with such humor and almost chivalric nobility, he's actually kind of a combination of the two kinds of villains, which is why he's such a compelling figure, I think.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

Glenn Close as Alex Forrest in Fatal Attraction
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....