Costello absent on star-studded McCartney tribute album

Pretty self-explanatory
cwr

Costello absent on star-studded McCartney tribute album

Post by cwr »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20140909

GEEZ, this seems like a lost opportunity. I realize that most of these names are bigger than Costello, but as someone who actually has written an album's worth of songs with Macca-- a few of which remain unreleased, like "Tommy's Coming Home"-- he would be a no-brainer for inclusion on this, at least as a BONUS track, right??

I wonder why EC didn't make the cut. We know he'd be down for it. It's just such a shame for Costello not to be included on this, considering how much attention it's going to get, when EC is not just a collaborator and friend but a huge Paul FAN. I just don't get how EC makes the cut for the White House tribute but not this...
Jack of All Parades

Re: Costello absent on star-studded McCartney tribute album

Post by Jack of All Parades »

If Alice Cooper and Kiss can make the cut and EC is absent I can only take that as a 'diss' of EC- they could not find room for one cut by him. I am with you- suitably stumped by his omission. :shock:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Wouldn't it be safe to say that Elvis holds his own as a songwriter. Where is his comp? And, someday in the NEAR future, we'll all be paying Paul McCartney prices to see EC perform. I shelled out $300 to see Paul at Candlestick. Well worth it!
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

But several of those names are of inferior commercial stature to EC, aren't they? Owl City? The Airborne Toxic Event? I wonder if the decisions were calculated to appeal to a range of very well-defined demographics, and that EC was made redundant because they only had a certain number of slots for performers who captured whatever his demographic is.

It's a stumper, all right. EC's omission aside, the album looks like a real mess - a small number of truly great talents (Wanda Jackson, Allen Toussaint, Willie Nelson, etc.) amidst a whole heap of garbage. I'll pass, thanks.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
cwr

Post by cwr »

It just seems like SO many acts were invited to participate in this-- to the point where there is even an absurd number of BONUS tracks-- that EC's exclusion here seems like a calculated insult by the person putting this together.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

An egregious omission!

Here's your tribute right here: