Should we give Mel Gibson credence?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
newlacesleeves

Post by newlacesleeves »

Hey.. Christie Brinkley's husband cheated on her, and for some reason it's been headline news in NYC for the past month.. I mean CHRISTIE BRINKLEY!!.. She's about as relevant as a loaf of bread from 1986... I think Mel Gibson going on an anti-semitic tirade is at least just as newsworthy as that..
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

newlacesleeves wrote:Hey.. Christie Brinkley's husband cheated on her, and for some reason it's been headline news in NYC for the past month.. I mean CHRISTIE BRINKLEY!!.. She's about as relevant as a loaf of bread from 1986... I think Mel Gibson going on an anti-semitic tirade is at least just as newsworthy as that..
I guess it doesn't say much for the general public, but we already knew that. We're living in a culture (at least in Britain, Canada and the US) that has a very unhealthy obsession with celebrity. Our favorite story is of the (movie star, athlete, musician, celebrityfornoreason, politician) that gets humiliated - this week it's been Mel and Floyd Landis and Mr. Christie Brinkley.

Stories about the Congo just don't sell.

Hey - this is a two page Mel Gibson thread. I'm guessing it would get more responses than a Congo thread or even an Israel/Lebanon thread.

Is it just easier to have an opinion or to express an opinion on Mel than it is to talk about the Congo? Do we feel more passionate about what Mel said than we do about the conflict(s) in the mid-east?

I'm guessing in a way we do.

Anyway - Jodie Foster is sticking up for him. I'm already boycotting her shit; a downhill ride since "The Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane" -

"Is he an anti-Semite? Absolutely not," Foster told the newspaper for a story in Friday's editions. "But it's no secret that he has always fought a terrible battle with alcoholism."
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I think this is an important dialogue to have. It does not matter who the players are. Religion is a big part of what makes up a person's character.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Boy With A Problem wrote:
noiseradio wrote:I'm all done with Mel Gibson. And what makes it different than "The COlumbus Incident" is everything except the drink.
This is really interesting - what does it mean to be "done" with someone?
In this case, it means I will no longer contribute monetarily to Mel Gibson if it's at all avoidable. It means I'm very unlikely to go see one of his films (admittedly, I almost never do anyway). I do think the artist and the art can be evaluated separately, but while Mel Gibson is still collecting checks, I think I'll skip his stuff. I'll probably avoid his earlier films, too. Not too difficult (although I may occasionally be tempted by Road Warrior). Maybe in a few years, after real change is evident, I'll change my mind. Maybe there's some possible project he could become involved in that would be worthy of an exception. But right now, I don't want to see anything he's in or support him in any way.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I think everyone with a decent position in hollywood is an idiot. That includes Mel Gibson, jewish editors and christian editors. The way they have manipulated the masses is sick and wrong.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Extreme Honey wrote:I think everyone with a decent position in hollywood is an idiot.
LOL! Generalization could be the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

On one of our tours when the t-shirts had all but sold out and there was a week left so it was time to order some more our guitarist said "No XL shirts; we're going to Spain. Everyone's really short there." That's the first time we toured Spain, I don't think he'd been there before and I'm almost certain he based that statement on non-spaniard Andrew Sachs, who played Manuel in Fawlty Towers.
What this world needs is more silly men.