World Cup Fantasy League (Spoilers Ahoy!)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Loco gets my vote for Most Interesting Hairstyle.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Is that the fringe-y dreadlock job? Looks like something you would see on a window treatment.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

or maybe on the edge of a bedspread.

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mexico v Angola - worst match of the tournament so far, but couldn't spoil the brilliance of today's earlier matches.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Dull, but heroic stuff from Angola. They've done amazingly well for their first World Cup. Incredible goalie. 36 or something, not playing at a club, yet saved balls till the cows came home. Great strike by Marquez and even greater save. Nipped across in a gap between two meetings to catch Telvez's fabulous goal, finally just seen the highlights of all 6. Simply awesome. Just on fire. I was keen to put an Argy in and come close for this round, but then decided not to. Bit tricky in terms of who is or isn't playing with some of them, and Riquelme only got 3 points today I believe. Can't wait for Arg v Holl. Tomorrow is going to be good stufff too. Imagine a final of Brazil in full flow vs Arg. Braz demolished them something like 5-1 a year back, so they'll be keen for revenge! I love seeing El Diego going as mental on the stands as he ever did on the pitch.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yes! I've managed to convince Mrs. Sam that going to South Africa for the 2010 World Cup is a terrific idea! I'll start saving now.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

:lol: that's fab, sam! Talking Mr. Swung into going to a Crew game didn't take a whole lot of convincing because 1) they sell beer and 2) there are cheerleaders (I am told).
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Who Shot Sam? wrote: going to South Africa for the 2010 World Cup is a terrific idea
That *is* a terrific idea. Perhaps by then I'll have met some handsome wealthy footie fan who'll take me... that's certainly the only way I'd manage it! I'd love to see South Africa in any case.

Dang, Ghana scored-- sorry to those of you with Cech as your keeper...
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

How was the CZE-GHA match? I heard it was good.

Sorry US people, but I'm being forced to sing along to the Italian national anthem this year (well, not exactly forced, because I do like them, corruption and all, and their national anthem is just so damn great...). Although a USA win will certainly put the proverbial spanner in group E's works, which is GOOD THING. :D

Forza Azzurri! Forza Italia!
Mechanical Grace

Well I'm no expert but watching the CR-Ghana match was exciting as hell as far as I was concerned, if only for the upset factor, because it kept my teeth on edge the whole time. Ghana were on fire. And CR had two decent shots in stoppage time!

I'm sort of hedging my bets re the US-Italy-- if Italy smears us, I'll do well in FF, and if we do well, well, I'll be happy for our poor way over-hyped team! I can't really lose...
Mechanical Grace

Did I say I couldn't lose??? Eff-ing own goal...
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Wow, De Rossi, what a dirty bastard, thats one of the worst fouls Ive ever seen in a World Cup.
Mastroeni's was a bad tackle but no way was it a red card.

USA playing really well. Dempsey looking good.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Mastroeni's two footed attack was blatantly taking the man out. If there was no intent, he should no better. Clear red card incident, not obsecene in the way De Rossi's elbow was, but redcardable for sure.

I'm having a shite FF. If only I'd gone the Argy route... At least peerless Pirlo assisted.

Nice that we're down to 10 each, a more even fight. I predicted 4-0 to this one, so fucked that up, but I reckon a solid performance could give the azzurri 3-1. I love to see good Italian play. Still, they're a quarter of the team, on tonight's evidence, that Arg were yesterday. Will be interesting to see if Braz respond to some extent by raising their game against Oz.

Someone shoot David Pleat! Just because McBride was bleeding, he decided he worshipped him: 'pound for pound there's no striker in the Prem who's better'. For fuck's sake! There are 30 strikers in the Prem who are better! I'm beginning to hate ITV games. Apart from Sam Allardyce, it's all shite (and the novelty of blonde Gabby footie tottie has worn off).

Bring on the second half! Fuck!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

9 against 10!

This is getting interesting!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Pope's sending off even more of a load of bollocks.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just got in (mucho prior commitments today) - Tivo'd the match, so I'll watch it later, but sounds like we played much much better and the Italians up to their old tricks I see. At least the Ghana match will mean something. Well done boys!
Mechanical Grace

That fucking own goal by Zaccardo cost me 9 points.

That does it, I'm boycotting cappuccino! :x :lol:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

1. Allardyce is a big wanker (not as big a wanker as McCarthy though)
2. Only saw bits of the games today, Ghana looked class although I only saw the last half hour, where did Czechs go wrong?
3. Saw second half of Italie v America - the yanks looked much better. I expect they'll be whining about the ref though.
4. Sven should rest the carded players on Tuesday.
5. Argentina have peaked too early. I hope.
6. Mexico are big cheats.
7. Keep fucking up my choice as captain in FF, otherwise I'd be up there.
8. The yanks fill the bottom 5 in FF.
9. Africa starting to fight back, let's hope Ghana make the next round.
10. I hope Brazil fuck up
Last edited by so lacklustre on Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Mechanical Grace

so lacklustre wrote:
8. The yanks fill the bottom 5 in FF.
For the first time in the Cup so far-- wait til tomorrow!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I replaced Ljungberg with Rosicky for this round. Wasn't it a brilliant move ? :x
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote: I expect they'll be whining about the ref though.
Fucking right we will. Imagine if that had been England v Italy rather than us. Wonder how much the eyeties paid him.

As for FF, let's count our chips at the end, shall we? England have played the ugliest football of the tournament so far. If that's entertainment, I want no part of it. Thought the Americans fought hard for the full 90 minutes today, showed they have some cojones, and very well could have won it.

Hope the Limeys gets dumped out in the next round. We don't need that shit polluting the airwaves.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

USA did amazingly well, considering. Fascinating how that group's turned out, and heaven knows what will happen next. Ghana to top the group? On today's showing, yes. Ghana and US to qualify? Could be! Italy and Czechs both v different to opening games. Apart from De Rossi's awful elbow, I don't think the Italians were dirtier than US. I recall seeing fouls committed: US 15 Italians 7. I think that was first half, not sure about second.

It's shaping into an interesting tournament. Always fun to have some surprises.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Go Australia!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I don't think the Italians were dirtier than US. I recall seeing fouls committed: US 15 Italians 7. I think that was first half, not sure about second.
Didn't help that the Italians were doing their usual Greg Louganis impression. What a bunch of sissies. To me, the performance today was as impressive as the matches against Germany and Mexico in 2002. Ghana is going to be a real mountain to climb, but I'd rather lose to them and the Czechs than Italy. I don't like our chances - we don't create many opportunities - but you never know.

With tomorrow being Father's Day and all (and what a farking father I am, foregoing the World Cup today to take my daughter to see "Garfield, A Tail of Two Kitties" :shock:) I will hopefully get a chance to veg in front of the TV and enjoy tomorrow's games.

Will be pulling for the Aussies tomorrow to be sure. Lots of friends down there.
Otis Westinghouse

I've got a one month policy going, more or less, of 'It's only once every four years'. It still sounds convincing 9 days into it, though there have been some, um, tense moments. So far I've pulled out of a neighbours' camping weekend on the 30th as I refuse to miss any of the quarter finals. And my teenage son's school decided to hold the first ever parent-subject teacher consultations in two years at the school guess when? Yep, 5-7pm last Thursday! Needless to say not many parents showed and only about 2 dads. That's what comes of having an Irish headteacher. My mum-in-law (Irish) tells me the Irish are getting behind the Poles. Catholic solidarity, but interesting too in terms of bonding with the generally denigrated immigrants.

Am praying that Adriano and Ronaldinho hammer a few in today. Sorry 'Boo. I wonder which Brazil will turn up.