Getting "used" to Elvis' voice

Pretty self-explanatory
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

I'm glad the we're all special thing was defused, perhaps,perhaps not. Is special good, so far in my life no. He knows how to get his message across, see Clowntime is Over 2.
A rope leash

Somebody said we muffed that one...

Post by A rope leash »

Mr. Gorbachev came cap in hand

(20% amnesia)

from a bankrupt land to a bankrupt land

(20% amnesia)

Mr. Gorbachev and some other fella

(20% amnesia)

were taken to a show called "Cinderella"

(20% amnesia)

It wasn't an accident it wasn't a mystery

(20% amnesia)

It was calculated and the rest is history

(20% amnesia)

You don't have to listen to me
as I try to plot free will
there are promises to break
and dreams to kill

Give me strength or give me mercy
don't let me lose heart
from rage to anesthesia

(20% amnesia)

It's about what is convienently forgotten. It should be studied by all us intellexuals. Clowntime is for shooting pool. We should study that, too.

While others just talk and talk
somebody's watching where the others won't walk

Clown time is over!

Now, let's get serious...

It's not about production, it's about content. There's more in one Elvis song than in forty top-forty tunes.

"Love me when I'm gone".

Fuck you. I don't love you when you're here, and you're always here.

I do like that hip-hop "where is the love", though.

Why don't you practice what you preach? Why don't you turn the other cheek?
Last edited by A rope leash on Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
girl out of time

teenage angst

Post by girl out of time »

my best friend in the world hates costello´s voice. she says he sounds like a sexually frustrated teenager!!!!!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

the things i like about ec's voice are things most people complain about. i love it when the man is grasping at a note he can't reach. i love both his desperate and his sneering whines. i'll take his voice in any register he chooses. nine times out of ten he finds the correct voice to hit the words with.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I always liked Bob Dylan's voice so maybe I'm not one to comment here, but Elvis's voice struck me as gorgeous from the beginning. Obviously it's a very unique and distinct voice, but he has an unbelievable range, and great delivery.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

tokyo vogue wrote:oh, i love the way he sings in "20% Amnesia." you can practically hear the spit hitting the microphone.
I couldn't agree more.

Plus, his range is very similar to my own, which makes it very easy for me to sing along!

8)
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
MegJS

Post by MegJS »

20% Amnesia
I adore this song and the way he sings in it too! It's unique. "So they started burying the boogeyman...", "Mr Gorbachev and some other fella..." - just love it.
Sometimes it remindes me Dissolve, just a little bit...
Libraries filled up with failed ideas
There's nothing more for me there
I trust in tender ink and gentle airs
Pidgin

Post by Pidgin »

What I can't get used to is other people's voices trying to talk to me when Elvis's music is playing. I simply can't filter Elvis's unique and beautiful voice out!! I can become quite annoyed with whomever I'm with and show absolutely no concern for what they have to say! Especially in the car with a group of people. They have a hard time understanding this as they know I love Elvis but I always turn him off in their presence.

So I end up doing most of my listening when I can be alone and I rarely listen with my husband (who only likes Elvis's voice on certain songs. His favorite is Indoor Fireworks)

Somehow I manage. :D
Monkey Girl

Poor thing

Post by Monkey Girl »

Dearest Pidgin,

You poor thing.

Sounds like quite a problem.

Seems to me you should find yourself a friend that can listen along with you...no talking!

Hey, that's me!
Love,
Monkey Girl
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

No deep analysis here just a gut comment.

Elvis has advanced significantly as a vocalist since MAIT. In my opinion, he always had a great rock and roll voice, (Sneaky Feelings;Blame it on Cain;Mystery Dance) but his sensitive, crooner voice needed lot's of polish.

It's a funny thing that works for Elvis in much the same way as it works for Dylan, Waits, Tracy Capman, even Annie Lenox, and others...they have voices that polarize people...they either love them or hate them. But, their songs just don't cover well at all. When you hear someone cover "Lay Lady Lay" it sounds like a parody, regardless of the talent of the vocalist. Think of "The Piano has been Drinking" sung by someone other than Tom Waits and suddenly his voice is quite perfect, as I would argue for the others on this short list, and also for Elvis.

My wife doesn't like his country crooner or "North" Voice at all. I cannot be objective, because the songs have such an Elvis signature that his voice fits the songs like hand in glove. It is the perfect instrument for his writing.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I agree with Mr. Average. EC's ability as a singer HAS improved and continues to do so all the time. One may question his voice and say it's offbeat or grating at times for some people. But once you get hooked and the quirks of his voice then you love to hear them pop up.

Whatever you think of his voice, he is a great SINGER. He is always experimenting with his singing style and perfecting new sounds, different types of background vocal arrangements and pushing the envelope.

I'm a pretty good singer (or so I have been told) and I at times have sung a lot of EC's music, and done a pretty good job but I took a break of about 3 months. When I then tried to sing some of his stuff again, I fell incredibly short of matching Elvis. His material is tough to emulate.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I have always considered Elvis to be a great singer. He's got a pretty wide range.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I wouldn't say I've always considered Elvis to be a great singer but I do now. I think he has learned how to use his voice. He's also become very confident - you only need to see him sing Couldn't Call it Unexpected or any of the songs he sings away from the mike to know that.

I think in about 1998/99 he was guilty of over-singing but he seems to have got it right now.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Hey MegJS,

Were you locked up in prison for two years, or what?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
MegJS

Post by MegJS »

ice nine
to be precise for three
why?
Libraries filled up with failed ideas
There's nothing more for me there
I trust in tender ink and gentle airs
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Personally, I don't think his voice has ever sounded better than on MAIT. Of course, it's probably because it's very loud. In fact, all instruments on MAIT are unusually loud and raw, probably not all that well balanced, but that's what I love about it. Even though it's not my favourite album in terms of songs (although close), it certainly is in terms of sound.