July 17, 2013
Berlin, Germany Tempodrom
Elvis Costello & The Imposters

Tickets on sale 19th March
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis Costello & The Imposters play Berlin, July 17, 201

Post by Man out of Time »

Preview at http://www.berlinatnight.de/newsdetail/ ... odrom.html

Der Punk und die New-Wave-Bewegung haben ihn Ende der siebziger Jahre berühmt gemacht: Den Briten Declan Patrick Aloysius MacManus, der vielen besser bekannt ist unter seinem Künstlernamen ELVIS COSTELLO. Heute kann der 1954 in London geborene Sänger und Songwriter auf eine beispielhafte Karriere zurückblicken, die in durch die verschiedenen Musikrichtungen geführt und schließlich als Rock-, Folk- und Jazzmusiker zu internationalem Ruhm verholfen hat. Mit ELVIS COSTELLO und seiner Band THE IMPOSTERS wird der ohnehin schon heiße Konzertsommer 2013 jetzt also noch einmal um einige Grad heißer.

Denn mit ELVIS COSTELLO kommt im Juli einer der interessantesten, außergewöhnlichsten und facettenreichsten Künstler nach Deutschland, der alles gewonnen hat, was man im internationalen Musikgeschäft an Auszeichnungen gewinnen kann.

Dazu zählt der Grammy, den er bislang 13 Mal erhalten hat. Erstmalig wurde ELVIS COSTELLO 1979 mit dem beliebten Preis als “bester neuer Künstler ausgezeichnet“. Zuletzt erhielt er die begehrte Grammy-Trophäe im Jahr 2010 für „Secret, Profane & Sugarcane“ und damit für das beste Folk-Album.

Hinsichtlich seiner Alben ist der Ausnahmekünstler jedoch ohnehin erfolgsverwöhnt. Denn eine Vielzahl dieser wurde mit Gold und Platin veredelt und taucht auch in der Aufstellung der besten Alben aller Zeiten immer wieder auf.

2003 dann erhielt ELVIS COSTELLO für die Musik zu “Broke Back Mountain“ den Academy Award für die beste Filmmusik. Und auch sein Song „She“, der zum Soundtrack des Films “Notting Hill“ mit Julia Roberts und Hugh Grant gehört, ist auch ohne Oscar-Auszeichnung bestens bekannt. Gleiches gilt für die musikalische Note, die ELVIS COSTELLO dem Film “The Big Lebowski“ verlieh.

Somit ist es ein Fakt: An dem allseits präsenten und irgendwie überall mitwirkenden ELVIS COSTELLO kommt man einfach nicht vorbei – und ganz ehrlich: Man möchte es auch gar nicht. Denn ELVIS COSTELLO ist nicht nur durch seine Optik mit der großen Brille und der strubbeligen Frisur ein echtes Unikat, sondern auch unglaublich talentiert, engagiert und motiviert. Allem voran aber sehr inspirierend – sowohl für als auch in der Zusammenarbeit mit anderen Künstlern. So wurde er im Jahr 2003 gemeinsam mit seiner Band The Attractions in die Hall of Fame des Rock and Roll und in den europäischen Walk of Fame in Rotterdamm aufgenommen und war auch in einigen Filmen und Serien als Schauspieler zu erleben, so beispielsweise in dem Serien-Hit “Two and a half Men“, in dem er sich mit vier anderen Musikern zu einer Art Selbsthilfegruppe zusammenrottete und über das Leben als alternder Rockstar sinnierte.

Jetzt also kommt der Tausendsassa mit seiner Band THE IMPOSTERS, mit der er 2002 das erste von bisher fünf gemeinsamen Alben aufgenommen hat, für drei exklusive Konzerte nach Deutschland – ins Capitol nach Offenbach, ins Tempodrom nach Berlin und in die Tonhalle nach Düsseldorf. In allen drei Hallen werden ELVIS COSTELLO und THE IMPOSTERS, bestehend aus Steve Nieve am Keyboard, Pete Thomas an den Drums und Davey Faragher am Bass, wieder einmal beweisen, wie gut handgemachter Rock sein kann und die Hallen bis auf die Grundmauern mit herausragendem Sound zum Beben bringen.

Nicht verpassen: Elvis Costello - 17.7.2013 im Tempodrom

Or in English (nearly)

Elvis Costello - 17.07.2013 in Tempodrom

The punk and the New Wave movement have made ​​him late seventies famous: The British Declan Patrick Aloysius MacManus, who is better known by his stage name ELVIS COSTELLO. Today, the London-born singer and songwriter in 1954, can look back on an exemplary career that has taken through the various genres and eventually helped as rock, folk and jazz musicians to international fame. With Elvis Costello and his band The Imposters, the already hot concert Summer 2013 is now so once again hot to some degree.

Because with ELVIS COSTELLO comes in July, one of the most interesting, unusual and diverse artists to Germany, who won everything you could in the can win awards at international music business. These include the Grammy, he has received so far 13 times. ELVIS COSTELLO for the first time in 1979 "awarded Best New Artist" award as the popular.

Most recently, he received the coveted Grammy Trophy in 2010 for "Secret, Profane & Sugarcane" and so for the best folk album. however, regards his albums except artist is already accustomed to success. Because a large number of these were refined with gold and platinum and also appears in the list of the best albums of all time and again.

Then in 2003 ELVIS COSTELLO received for the music to "Broke Back Mountain," the Academy Award for Best Film Music. And his song "She", part of the soundtrack of the film "Notting Hill" with Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant, is well known even without Oscar award.

The same applies to the musical note, ELVIS COSTELLO the movie "The Big Lebowski" lent. Accordingly, it is a fact: On the omnipresent everywhere and somehow participating ELVIS COSTELLO you simply can not ignore - and to be honest: You also want to do it does not.

Because ELVIS COSTELLO is not only because of its appearance with the large glasses and tousled hairstyle really unique, but also incredibly talented, committed and motivated. But above all very inspiring - both for and in collaboration with other artists. He was admitted in 2003 together with his band The Attractions in the Hall of Fame Rock and Roll and the European Walk of Fame in Rotterdam and was experiencing in some films and series as an actor, such as in the series hit "Two and a Half Men," in which he joined with four other musicians to make a kind of self-help group and mused about life as an aging rock star.

So now the trades comes with his band The Imposters, with which he 2002, the first of so far common has recorded five albums, for three exclusive concerts in Germany - the Capitol Offenbach, the Tempodrom in Berlin and to the Tonhalle Dusseldorf. In all three halls are Elvis Costello and The Imposters, consisting of Steve Nieve on keyboards, prove Pete Thomas on drums and Davey Faragher on bass, once again, how good handmade skirt can be and the halls down to the ground with outstanding sound for bring quake. 's Day:

Elvis Costello - 17.07.2013 in Tempodrom TEMPODROM Möckernstr. 10 10963 Berlin

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone going?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Mueller?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.bz-berlin.de/kultur/musik/el ... 09793.html

Elvis costello im kleinen ganz gross

Nur rund 300 Fans waren zum Konzert von Elvis Costello gekommen, doch die bereuten es nicht.

Es ist ein bewusst kleines Club-Konzert. Doch Elvis Costello scherzt in der kleinen Arena des Tempodrom vor vielleicht 300 begeisterten Fans. "Meine Säle werden immer kleiner in Berlin. Das nächste Mal spiele ich wohl in einer Schuhschachtel." Der Brite rockt und schmachtet, was nur geht. Seine Anzugweste ist nach dem dritten Song durchgeschwitzt.

Zu seinem größten Hit "She" verlässt er die Bühne und wandelt im roten Spot durchs Publikum, klatscht mit den Herren ab und tanzt mit den Damen. "Spielt heute nicht Leonard Cohen in Berlin - was machen wir noch hier? Hauen wir ab", witzelt der Brite.

Natürlich geht keiner. Ja was machen wir hier? Ein kleines, aber ganz großes Konzert erleben.
----------------------------------------
Google translation:

Elvis costello in little very large

Only about 300 fans came to the concert by Elvis Costello, but did not regret it.

It is a deliberately small club gig. But Elvis Costello kids in the small arena in front of the Tempodrom maybe 300 enthusiastic fans. "My rooms are getting smaller in Berlin. Next time I play well in a shoe box." The Brit rocks and pines, which just goes. His suit jacket is soaked with sweat by the third song.

His biggest hit "She", he leaves the stage and walks in the red spot through the audience, clapping and dancing with the men from the women. "Does not Leonard Cohen today in Berlin - what we do here Let's get out," joked the Briton.

Of course, no one goes. So what are we doing here? Experience a small but very big concert.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -17_Berlin

approximate setlist, not in exact order

01. One Bell Ringing
02. Clubland
03. Beyond Belief
04. Green Shirt
05. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
06. A Slow Drag With Josephine
07. Radio, Radio
08. Watching The Detectives
09. New Lace Sleeves
10. My All Time Doll
11. Poisoned Rose
12. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
13. Stella Hurt
14. She
15. Almost Blue
16. Shipbuilding
17. Oliver's Army
18. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
19. I Want You
Encore 1
20. Heart Of The City
21. Mystery Dance
22. Pump It Up
23. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
24. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis's humorous response , on Facebook, to the tiny Berlin venue
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

How I'd love to see an Elvis show where there's only 300 fans.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

verbal gymnastics wrote:How I'd love to see an Elvis show where there's only 300 fans.
Berlin is your spot then- I smell a train trip 8)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

verbal gymnastics wrote:How I'd love to see an Elvis show where there's only 300 fans.
And he opens with One Bell Ringing?! That's a special moment.
verbal gymnastics

Funnily enough Andy the Roofdog asked me if I fancied going to Berlin. I'd love to have gone but there was absolutely no chance given my 8 gigs us my bonus Hyde Park gig. I said to Andy that he should go. Shane that be didn't.

One bell ringing from the post shows the songs ambiguously as not being the exact order. It could just be the songs played or it could be somebody's recollection. It would have been great if he opened with it.

By the way I don't use FaceBook. Does Elvis actually use it himself?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The wiki setlist is based on e-mails , one of which included this -

They definitely started with One Bell Ringing and closed the show with Peace, Love and Understanding. The encore (only one unfortunately) started with Heart of the City, then Mystery Dance, Pump it up...

The Facebook posts seem, at the very least, to be authorized by Elvis. The drawings are a nice touch. The are certainly Elvis' work, being just like the work credited to him on the WIWC sleeve and other stuff from that time, including this -

verbal gymnastics

Thanks John.

What a great opener.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

sweetest punch wrote: "Does not Leonard Cohen today in Berlin - what we do here Let's get out," joked the Briton.
They don't call him the wittiest man in beat music for nothing.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Longer review in Der Tagesspiegel is here:

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/laerm ... 16912.html

Lärmrausch und Seelenheil

19.07.2013 von Jörg Wunder

Intensiv: Elvis Costello im Berliner Tempodrom.

„Nächstes Mal spielen wir in einem Schuhkarton“ – Elvis Costello nimmt es mit Humor, dass es mit dem Vorverkauf nicht so gut gelaufen ist. Vor zwei Jahren hatte er solo das Berliner Tempodrom gefüllt, deshalb lag es nahe, für seine Tour mit den Imposters wieder dieselbe Location zu buchen. Da sich die vielleicht 300 Zuschauer im weiten Rund etwas jämmerlich ausmachen würden, ist man auf die Nebenbühne ausgewichen, wo sonst eher Kleinkunstveranstaltungen laufen. Der Grund für den Zuschauerschwund ist aber nicht etwa in einem plötzlichen Popularitätseinbruch zu suchen. Sondern in der Tatsache, dass die Ticketpreise jenseits von Gut und Böse lagen.

Und dass zudem ein paar Kilometer weiter ein Konzert des großen Leonard Cohen stattfindet. Auch dazu hat der 58-Jährige ein Sprüchlein parat: „Cohen spielt in der Stadt? Was zum Teufel tun wir dann hier? Lasst uns abhauen.“

Aber es gibt durchaus Gründe, genau hier mit einem verschworenen Häuflein von Fans dem energischen Vortrag des Mannes mit der Buddy-Holly-Brille und dem wie festgetackert wirkenden Hütchen zu lauschen. Mit bebend intensivem Gesang und überraschend aggressivem Gitarrenspiel stürzt er sich in seine Songs. Vor allem die älteren Stücke legen die schwarzen Wurzeln des britischen New Wave frei. Soul, Reggae und Rhythm & Blues spielen bei Elvis Costello eine so wichtige Rolle wie sonst nur bei Paul Weller. So federn der famose Bassist Davey Faragher und der hünenhafte Drummer Pete Thomas im lässigen Offbeat durch Klassiker wie „Watching The Detectives“, während Steve Nieve mit perlendem Piano melodische Schnörkel streut. Costello parliert sich in Rampensaulaune und scharwenzelt zu „She“ flirtend und neckend durch die Reihen.

Es gibt einen heiklen Moment während des zweistündigen Auftritts, ausgerechnet beim schönstem Stück: Die Anti-Falklandkrieg-Ballade „Shipbuilding“ erstrahlte 1983 auf Platte durch ein herzzerreißendes Trompetensolo von Chet Baker, und als Endzwanziger sang Costello wie ein junger Gott. An diesem Abend klingt es schauderhaft, denn der Sänger trifft kaum einen Ton. Doch er macht es wett mit seiner anderen großen Ballade, „I Want You“. Das dramatische Lamento über das Nichtloslassenkönnen beginnt leidend, jammernd fast, und steigert sich in einen kathartischen Lärmrausch, bei dem man nicht nur um Costellos Seelenheil fürchtet, sondern auch um seine Finger, so rabiat rupft er kreischende Akkorde aus der Elektrischen.

Die Zugabe wird zur Best-Of-Pause mit gedrückter Vorlauftaste. Große Party, alles hüpft, am Schluss noch ein nachdenklicher Ton mit „(What’s So Funny About) Peace, Love & Understanding“. Ja, was eigentlich? Jörg Wunder

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

Noise noise and salvation

Intensive: Elvis Costello Tempodrom in Berlin.

"Next time we play in a shoebox" - Elvis Costello takes it with humor that it did not go so well with the pre-sale. Two years ago, playing solo he had filled the Berlin Tempodrom, so it made sense to book the same location for his tour with the Imposters again. As the perhaps 300 people would make something pathetic in the wide circle, you moved to the side stage where cabaret events are usually staged . The reason for the loss of viewers is not to look around in a sudden popularity slump. But in the fact that the ticket prices were beyond good and evil.

And that is also a few miles there will be a concert of the great Leonard Cohen. Also the 58-year-old has a little speech ready: "Cohen playing in the city? What the hell are we doing here then? Let's get out of here. "

But there are still reasons right here with a small group of conspirators fans the energetic presentation of the man with the Buddy Holly glasses and the hat acting as stapled to listen. Trembling with intense vocals and surprisingly aggressive guitar playing, he throws himself into his songs. Especially the older pieces expose the black roots of the British New Wave. Soul, reggae and R & B Elvis Costello play such an important role as only with Paul Weller. Thus, the splendid bassist Davey Faragher and drummer Pete Thomas gigantic feather in casual Offbeat through classics like "Watching The Detectives", while Steve Nieve piano interspersed with sparkling melodic flourishes. Costello converses in Rampensaulaune and fawns to "She" flirting and teasing through the ranks.

There is a delicate moment during the two-hour presentation, of all the most beautiful part: The anti-Falklands War ballad "Shipbuilding" lit up in 1983 to drive through a heartbreaking trumpet solo by Chet Baker, and as late twenties sang Costello like a young god. That evening, it sounds horrible, because the singer is barely superior sound. But he makes up for it with his other great ballad, "I Want You". The dramatic lament about the Nichtloslassenkönnen starts suffering, almost wailing, and increases in a cathartic noise noise, in which one fears not only about Costello's salvation, but also to his fingers, so he ruthlessly plucked chords from the screaming electric.

The addition is to the best of break-forward button pressed. Great party, all hops, nor at the end of a thoughtful tone with "(What's So Funny About) Peace, Love & Understanding". So, what exactly?" Jörg Wunder

Apparently even Google Translate baulks at some German words.

MOOT