Live At The El Mocambo to be re-released

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

Re: Live At The El Mocambo to be re-released

Post by docinwestchester »

dglenn wrote:Hi All,
I'm the "YEEEEEEEHAW" Guy.
My Avatar is a pic of me from around the time of the El Mo show. I think I was 20 years old. I wasn't then nor am I now a "YAHOO'.
I don't know if anyone submitting comments here would be looking back - I noticed this discussion dates back to 2008(?).

I'm really kind of embarrassed that I'm on and so prominent in this recording. Some seem to like my "YEEEEEEEHAWING" while others are quite annoyed by it. I'm in the annoyed camp. I can't listen to the album without turning a bright red. Why the "YEEEEEEEHAWING"? Well, I was really excited to be there and I hadn't yet developed the ability to whistle loudly. So, "YEEEEEEEHAWING" seemed my only option. Oh, also, I had no idea the show was being recorded.

Feel free to ask me anything you'd like about the show.
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

I used to hate you but now I love you. I can't explain why the change of heart, but it happened during the past year. Until then, I thought you pretty much ruined a classic recording. But now I truly believe you add something that makes it better. Less Than Zero is probably your best track.

Were you drinking just a wee bit?
macguffinman

Post by macguffinman »

That's a very brave admission on your part, "YEEEEEEEHAW" Guy. You have been an occasional topic of conversation, and consternation, among my fan friends for over 30 years (gulp). I was in the "annoyed" camp until the moment I read your post, but now it seems an about-face is in order.
Last edited by macguffinman on Fri May 13, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

The yee-hawing gives it the "live" texture that makes it an exciting listen. Never bothered me.
krm

Post by krm »

I just love it. It puts an extra dimension to a live recording!
Judge Holden

Post by Judge Holden »

Elvis has got to get you on stage, dglenn. Pure nostalgia but a hoot for one evening. Can we now not out the first Glaswegian who ever bellowed 'Psycho'? Any other memorable audience participants?
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

docinwestchester wrote:

Less Than Zero is probably your best track.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

My Avatar is a pic of me from around the time of the El Mo show. I think I was 20 years old. I wasn't then nor am I now a "YAHOO'.
I don't know if anyone submitting comments here would be looking back - I noticed this discussion dates back to 2008(?).

I'm really kind of embarrassed that I'm on and so prominent in this recording. Some seem to like my "YEEEEEEEHAWING" while others are quite annoyed by it. I'm in the annoyed camp. I can't listen to the album without turning a bright red. Why the "YEEEEEEEHAWING"? Well, I was really excited to be there and I hadn't yet developed the ability to whistle loudly. So, "YEEEEEEEHAWING" seemed my only option. Oh, also, I had no idea the show was being recorded.

You, sir, are a legend. I wrote a little blurb about you at the tail-end of my blog post here.

Thanks for the laughs, the "yee-haw"s and whatever's going on at the start of "Little Triggers".
dglenn

Post by dglenn »

the_platypus wrote:

You, sir, are a legend. I wrote a little blurb about you at the tail-end of my blog post here.

I am a legend!

Loved your blog.

I stated earlier that my avatar

Thanks for the laughs, the "yee-haw"s and whatever's going on at the start of "Little Triggers".

I am a legend!

Loved your blog.

I'll have to listen to 'Little Triggers' again and I'll come back here and let you know what was going on if I can.

I stated earlier that my avatar is a pic of me from the time of the show, but I see now that a pic of Elvis (not that one) has been inserted. If anyone can tell me what I've done wrong in uploading my pic, please let me know.

Dennis Glenn
dglenn

Post by dglenn »

dglenn wrote:
the_platypus wrote:

me low res.jpg
me low res.jpg (79.63 KiB) Viewed 19579 times
I am a legend!

Loved your blog.

I stated earlier that my avatar

I am a legend!

Loved your blog.

I'll have to listen to 'Little Triggers' again and I'll come back here and let you know what was going on if I can.

I stated earlier that my avatar is a pic of me from the time of the show, but I see now that a pic of Elvis (not that one) has been inserted. If anyone can tell me what I've done wrong in uploading my pic, please let me know.

Dennis Glenn

Also, the reason I'm trying to upload a pic of me from back then is to show everyone that I didn't and still don't look like an ex-Marine. As someone here stated that that's how they picture me.
Last edited by dglenn on Sat May 14, 2011 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dglenn

Post by dglenn »

The imposter wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:

Less Than Zero is probably your best track.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, I worked hard on it.
dglenn

Post by dglenn »

macguffinman wrote:That's a very brave admission on your part, "YEEEEEEEHAW" Guy. You have been an occasional topic of conversation, and consternation, among my fan friends for over 30 years (gulp). I was in the "annoyed" camp until the moment I read your post, but now it seems an about-face is in order.

Thanks! Very generous of you. I know this reads sarcastic, it's not.
dglenn

Post by dglenn »

docinwestchester wrote:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

I used to hate you but now I love you. I can't explain why the change of heart, but it happened during the past year. Until then, I thought you pretty much ruined a classic recording. But now I truly believe you add something that makes it better. Less Than Zero is probably your best track.

Were you drinking just a wee bit?

I'm glad you're not angry (anymore).

I think I'd had a beer or two, but I wasn't drunk (just excited and having a lot of fun) - honest.
dglenn

Post by dglenn »

When it was a bootleg… El Mocambo was admired for its sound quality. Now it’s official, one must mention some serious drawbacks. The mix is trebly, the audience too loud. Steve Nieve is difficult to hear. This wouldn’t have mattered to Toronto radio listeners in 1978 but it matters now, because the Attractions featured Nieve’s organs as a lead instrument and sound rather lost without him. Much more irritating than that, however, are the constant whoops and yeehaws - often in the middle of songs – from an idiot in the audience who thinks he’s watching a stripper.

I didn't mean to ruin this for anyone. I had no idea the show was being recorded. I was just excited to be there and didn't know how to whistle.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Man, I just want to give you a big hug.
dglenn

Post by dglenn »

the_platypus wrote:Man, I just want to give you a big hug.

Right back atcha brother.
dglenn

Post by dglenn »

El Mocambo.jpg
El Mocambo.jpg (161.4 KiB) Viewed 19543 times
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

I got my copy from a CBS rep (one of 500 I understand) the same week it was released.

I zoomed home, put it on the turn table and went ape shit bouncing around the room.

Later I transferred it to cassette and that's when I noticed "YOU"!

I can understand why you have become a legend (I would even say I envy you) but you still bug the shit out of me every time I play it.

Oh well!
dglenn

Post by dglenn »

watercamp wrote:I got my copy from a CBS rep (one of 500 I understand) the same week it was released.

I zoomed home, put it on the turn table and went ape shit bouncing around the room.

Later I transferred it to cassette and that's when I noticed "YOU"!

I can understand why you have become a legend (I would even say I envy you) but you still bug the shit out of me every time I play it.

Oh well!

I bug the shit out of myself every time I play it - sorry about that.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Don't be upset - I wish I'd had your enthusiasm without the "stiff upper lip" Brit mentality which means I go "...pause, clap,clap...pause , oh, that's so very good !!" :oops: :lol: :roll:
dglenn

Post by dglenn »

sulky lad wrote:Don't be upset - I wish I'd had your enthusiasm without the "stiff upper lip" Brit mentality which means I go "...pause, clap,clap...pause , oh, that's so very good !!" :oops: :lol: :roll:
:lol:
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I don't know where this stereotype comes from, but I saw Elvis three times in England last year and the crowds were absolute dynamite - rowdy, raucous and as enthusiastic towards Slow Drag With Josephine as they were for Alison. At RFH they even did the BVs for Radio Sweetheart unprompted.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

You obviously haven't heard me and VG sing BVs, Jeremy ! :lol: :oops:
migdd

Post by migdd »

Between VG, Sulky and Yeeehaw Man on BV, I think we would have it covered. :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol:
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

Hey man,

no apologies necessary, you are featured prominently on an Elvis Costello record...while I'm only one of the thousands on the Tribute to Paul Simon tracks.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

migdd wrote:Between VG, Sulky and Yeeehaw Man on BV, I think we would have it covered. :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol:
I might stick with Jim Lauderdale, I think.