Going to shows alone.

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

Rock 'n Rolling Alone:

Poll ended at Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:28 pm

I've never gone to a live show by myself and I hope I never will have to
14%
I do it/would do it if I wanted to see the show but had no one to go with
71%
I sometimes go alone for the sake of going alone
14%

Total votes: 21

selfmademug

Going to shows alone.

Post by selfmademug »

I am curious as to how many other board folks go out to hear live music by themselves, and why, and whether they enjoy it.

I've gone out alone from the time I was going out, period. I crave it to a degree, but there are times when I do it by necessity rather than choice, and in those cases, I have the comfort level (cause it's something I've done many many times) but I can get miserable and feel far more alone than if I'd curled up in bed with a book. So I'd say I have a love-hate relationship with myself as a date.

What about other people?
Last edited by selfmademug on Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Quite happy to at a sit-down gig, or a big one, e.g. Bowie or Costello, and in a way it's a more intense experience when you only have your own thoughts to concentrate on, but I wouldn't like to do it at a smaller stand up venue where you want to get drinks and have drinks bought, etc. I'd feel more self-conscious there. It's funny, cos at Josh Rouse, one of the gang I was with deliberately stood well apart from the rest of us, he's a big fan and was rapt with attention, and it made me think that maybe it's fine for all gigs, but of course arriving and leaving alone is never as much fun. When I was younger, I used to go to the cinema alone loads of times, now I almost never do that. It's silly, but living in a small town, you have a fear of being viewed a 'billy-no-mates' if others spot you solo at the cinema. I think I would rather do anything alone than with company I genuinely didn't want to share, though.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

I would like to go to shows alone for all of those reasons, but I dont have my driver's lisence yet and live 60 miles from the closest reasonably sized venue.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Your time will come, I promise! You need to go to college somewhere with a vibrant music scene within walking/public transport distance-- Boston, for instance! 8)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:Your time will come, I promise! You need to go to college somewhere with a vibrant music scene within walking/public transport distance-- Boston, for instance! 8)
According to Ian Faith, it's not much of a college town! :lol:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I often go to shows by myself because then it's just me and the artist and I won't have to worry about what the others are doing.

I'm glad I went to see Nick Lowe alone but seeing for example Iron Maiden or U2 with friends was alot of fun.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

selfmademug wrote:Your time will come, I promise! You need to go to college somewhere with a vibrant music scene within walking/public transport distance-- Boston, for instance! 8)
I dont have the money to go out of state yet, so its Michigan State for now. Not bad really, quite a few good acts show up at the Breslin.

I agree that it depends entirely on the act. I would've enjoyed Bowie much more if I'd been alone, but Prince requires the whole family (and a couple of strangers, if you can manage it.)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm happy to go to concerts on my own. I've seen Elvis on my own a few times now (although that wouldn't happen these days thanks to my EC mate and fellow board members).

On occasions when I've been on my own I've struck up conversations with people I don't know (and not just ladies either :wink: ). When you're at a concert, in general you've got something in common with a stranger so you've got at least one thing in common to begin with.

I would suspect it's more difficult for a female to go to a concert on her own though. Over here many women won'f, for example, go to a bar on their own. A friend of mine years ago would sit outside the pub in her car until she recognised someone who she could go in the pub with.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I have to say, vg, that is weird. Why didn't she just call up a friend if she wanted to go to the pub so badly?

In Paris I used to go to shows by myself all the time. I think it's a lot easier to do if you feel like you have a legitimate reason for not having company. My legitimate reason was that all my friends in Paris had shitty taste in music. Also, I always went to see EC by myself, until I met pip! But now she's gone again...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

miss buenos aires wrote:I have to say, vg, that is weird. Why didn't she just call up a friend if she wanted to go to the pub so badly?
We were always already there so she would wait in the car and hope she would see someone going in who she knew when she was outside the pub. But you're right - it does seem weird now! This was also well before the days of mobile/cell phones and email.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

alone? what is that? I haven't been to the bathroom by myself in 20 years.

Sure, I'd go alone. The befores and afters are more fun with friends - I probably wouldn't do them alone (I had a hard time convincing myself that it was ok to have a beer at the ballpark the other night being that I was the only adult - but these things have to be done, especially when Boring Ball is forced upon me :lol: ). I crave time alone, actually.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I dont think Ive gone to a concert by myself before but Ive been to comedy shows and things like that by myself plenty of times. Its always okay once the show starts, but while youre waiting, sitting there by yourself at your own little table for one while everyone around you talks to someone ... its a little awkward. Which can lead to accidently finishing the two drink minimum before the show actually begins ...