New Orleans Report

Pretty self-explanatory
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

wonderful pictures and accounts - thank you.

bobster, you look just how I'd imagined - the coolest dude in the room.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

OHMYGODTHEELUSIVEBOBSTER!!!!!!!

Hi Bobster!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Don't take this wrong, but Pete has just a little bit of that Fred Gwynne/Herman Munster thing goin', especially that wispy half grin/half smile that looks like he has just pulled one over on Lily. I really like that picture.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
bobster

Post by bobster »

Official N.O. response, thank yous, etc. to come -- just back in office today from Las Vegas (went directly there from the Big Easy to the Big Thievery for a quick work-related convention trip).

But in the meantime, thanks to the lovely and talented Moody and Goody for the blush-inducing flattery...but why are all my outspoken fans happily married? Makes one wonder how fast that cloning technology is coming along. :wink:
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Great photos guys. Sounds like a great weekend.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bobster

Post by bobster »

Yes, it was a great weekend.

I might think of something later, but not too much to add right now except to say that it was truly great to meet everyone. First of all, big public thank yous to Pophead and his lovely significant other for intense hospitality above the call of duty in putting up (and putting up with) El Vez and I -- and it was more of "I" since my flight didn't leave until Monday morning.

As you can all imagine, there was much geeking out with the three of us boys, mostly about music. (Both Pop and EV are far superior geeks to me in terms of music, which is why I was forced to constantly throw in utterly gratuitous cinema references.) I bought CDs. I drank a lot more than usual. It was good.

Later on, it was my pleasure to finally meet Shatterproof, who is, let's face it, a goddess who walks amongst us. She's also really totally nice and doesn't make fun of me for saying "cool" all the time.

EV and I were also treated a private rehearsal of Pop's band. It was a solid set of pure pop gold, ably performed by the teacherly Pop and his terrific bandmates, who are swell guys themselves.

The EC show was something else (though we won't discuss the waitress at the HOB who foiled our "get in the better entry line" plans). EC was in as good a mood as I've seen him in, maybe better. Intense, really fun show. It was all great, but, aside from a blistering version of "High Fidelity" -- a personal favorite that I've only seen done line maybe twice before -- a major highlight for me had to be the appearance of Bob Andrews. It was great to see two of my three all time favorite rock keyboardists on the same stage. Graham Parker and the Rumour was my first official rock concert, so there's obviously a bit of a sentimental attachment. And Bob's keyboard's on songs like "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass" from "Pure Pop for Now People"/"Jesus of Cool" are unmistakeable, so it was perfect to hear him two early N. Lowe gems -- one of which I can't remember ever hearing before. (My one and only Brinsley Schwartz album was lost in the great Bobster Nevada Vinyl Debacle of 1985)

Oh yeah, and Tift Merritt is a really great singer and performer, and reaches near Alyson Hanniganesque of sheer adorability, forcing a comment from me to El Vez on the matter, in turn prompting a tart-tongued replay from a nearby young lady that it was Ms. Merritt's none too confining blouse that was the focus of my attention. Well, that and the cuter-than-Gene-Tierney overbite...and the songs, always the songs.

That's everything I can think of right now...but thanks again to all the great people involved. We board members really aren't so bad once you get to know us.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/fea/ent ... 1ea0c.html

Just sign here

Elvis Costello can be a bit dull talking about record-label history. He's considerably more entertaining telling quirky anecdotes.

During an interview session Wednesday, he offered self-deprecating humor about an awkward moment meeting Jerry Lee Lewis and learning from George Jones while suffering from the mumps.

A recent gig in New Orleans provided him with the quirkiest tale. A fortysomething female fan had his face tattooed onto one of her, um, cheeks, and a circle on the other. He gave his autograph inside the circle, which she planned to have permanently tattooed the next day.

Rob Clark
bobster

Post by bobster »

Wow.

I can actually kind of, sort of, confirm that. I overheard some women and they were saying something to the effect of "Elvis signed _____'s ass!" One of them then went on to say that the woman might never wash her ass again. This was not a thought I cared to consider.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Aaargh. I was going to take Storm's advice and wear a backless top like his friend in Japan, asking Elvis to sign my shoulders or something, but it was just too damn cold in Nashville. I went for low cut and though of asking him to sign my chest, but got bashful and just let him sign my cd.

But even if he had signed any of my body parts, I would have still washed them later. :lol:
bobster

Post by bobster »

Woops, just reread Shatter's post w/pictures and realized I'd already been scooped on the ass autograph story!
mimimartini

Post by mimimartini »

Cheeky......

tee hee...it had to be said...... :lol:
bobster

Post by bobster »

Kind of like being there for the Hindenburg...the Normandy Invasion of ass-signage....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/050312.php

2005-03-12: New Orleans, House Of Blues
Elvis Costello with the Imposters

Uncomplicated
Mystery Dance
Tear Off Your Own Head (It's A Doll Revolution)
Radio Radio
Country Darkness
Needle Time
Blame It On Cain
American Without Tears
Green Shirt
The Delivery Man
The Monkey
Bedlam
Monkey To Man
Either Side Of The Same Town
Kinder Murder
(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
When I Was Cruel No. 2
High Fidelity
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
Clubland
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/You Really Got A Hold On Me
Alison/Suspicious Minds
Watching The Detectives
Pump It Up
Don't Lose Your Grip On Love - with Bob Andrews
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Bob Andrews
The Scarlet Tide
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nola.com/living/t-p/index.ss ... 284630.xml

The weekend before SXSW, Elvis Costello played at a sold-out, jam-packed House of Blues in New Orleans. He and the Imposters banged out old favorites and new tracks from his current CD, "The Delivery Man," with efficient purpose and well-rehearsed immediacy. They even reprised Dave Bartholomew's "The Monkey Speaks His Mind," the namesake for Costello's tour.

Based on his afternoon SXSW discussion with writer/MTV senior vice president Bill Flanagan, Costello left New Orleans with two lasting impressions. The first was of his inebriated audience.

"Drunk people would be calling out for numbers that we'd already played," Costello said.

The second was of the woman who approached him after the show on Decatur Street and pulled down her pants, revealing a tattoo of his face on her rear. She asked him to autograph the opposite cheek, so she could tattoo the signature. He obliged.

"It's times like that," Costello cracked, "that I'm glad my ex-manager didn't call me Engelbert Presley."

Augmenting his New Orleans stories were anecdotes about George Jones, Jerry Lee Lewis and Van Morrison and eloquent remarks on a range of subjects.

That such classic albums as Joni Mitchell's "Blue" are often discounted in England for five pounds strikes him as a travesty. "It should be 50 pounds," he said. "It's a work of art. Young people have no sense of the value."

At this year's Grammy awards, Costello notched another loss. "The monolith that is U2," he said, joking, "crushed us under their jackboot."

Not that he always walks away from the Grammys empty-handed: He met his wife, jazz singer Diana Krall, there. "That," Costello said, "is the best thing that ever happened."
bobster

Post by bobster »

Wow. Chris Rock was right -- that guy really is everywhere! And, no, neither I nor El Vez slept with Jude! Let's quash that rumor right here and now.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

bobster wrote:Wow. Chris Rock was right -- that guy really is everywhere! And, no, neither I nor El Vez slept with Jude! Let's quash that rumor right here and now.
Well, the tatoo on the back of his neck that read "Propery of Miss Buenos Aires, Please Return to New Jersey After Use" was kind of a buzz kill.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Though Mr law may be a Costello fan , another explanation for his attendance may be that he is in the movie - filmed in New Orleans - that Elvis have written a song for , All the King's Men.

see
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405676/
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

shatterproof wrote:So I saw Tift Merritt last night and went to talk to her after the show. I congratulated her on the great set and told her I'd seen her and her band rock as the opening act for EC at the HOB in New Orleans. She was really nice and took the praise like a pro, but then asked me if I'd seen Jude Law at the show. Apparently, hottie Jude Law was enjoying the "vocal stylings" of Tift and then EC along with with El Vez, Pophead, Bobster, and me.

Anyway, I thought it was cool Tift told me that.
It was during this stay in NO that Jude had a number of indiscretions with the nanny. Maybe she was at the show. The curse of Elvis strikes again!