Oscars 2005

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

It was a hell of an improvement over last year's droopy-titty-goth getup. THAT was some mess.

Everyone was dressed quite conservatively last night, which was a bit of a relief. I was offended, however, by Salma Hayek's perfect and aggressive bosom...

And I don't think Jamie Foxx will change--at least, I hope he doesn't. The fact that he did in fact speak the way he's always spoken was refreshing--and in interviews, he doesn't get all high and mighty. In fact, he's pretty humble. If winning an Oscar for best actor after you've done comedy TV in drag doesn't keep a bruh humble, I don't know what will!
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

This is the first year I can remember where I've agreed with every winner...
Ditto.
Enjoyed Cate's speech, was offended by Ms. Knowles' butchering of the French language. Where's Celine when you need her?
Rock did good.
Has Robin Williams ever hosted? Well he should.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Came home and...the cable was out! I never really care, anyway, I always fall asleep before Best Picture, but still, I'm offended that Comcast did not bother to restore our cable before the end of the broadcast.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Scielle--I, too, was baffled by why they chose Beyonce to sing in French. And two other times. Good Lord, but she annoys the stank out of me. There are very (very!) few times that I've wanted to see Celine Dion, but that was one of them.

Is it me, or is Clint Eastwood one sexy septuagenarian? That man looks GOOD. And bringing his mom was super classy.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

scielle wrote:Where's Celine when you need her?
Never thought I'd hear that on an Elvis forum :lol:

But yeah, the Beyonce performances were kind of unnecessary. Do we really need to hear three full-length songs from her considering she had nothing to do with any of them?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I think Beyonce was a canny move to appeal to a younger audience. I really enjoyed this year's telecast and it was a trip to see at least a honest half-dozen crowd shots of Jay-Z at the Oscars. I thought Rock's opening monologue was great (although poor Jude Law, a fantastic actor and a cool guy, seemed to take a beating) and their were no boneheaded calls this year. Cate Blanchett, Morgan Freeman, Jamie Foxx and Hilary Swank all gave astonishing performances that deserved recognition and while I think I prefer Sideways just a tiny smidge to Million Dollar Baby, I ain't begrudging because it was a terrific film and the highlight of a remarkable fourth act in Clint's career.

Robin Williams, for me, has reached cringe-worthy status when he does his schtick. He's been doing Jack Nicholson as Elmer Fudd jokes since the 80's and watching Chris Rock at the Oscars just made him appear all the more dated by comparison.

I still wish Uma had copped a nod for KB because the work she put into those films really deserved some recognition. It's damn hard to find the spine of your character while engaging in wire fu and plucking out Daryl Hannah's other eye.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Catching up with the recent posts on this thread, I apologize that my first paragraph basically repeats everything Bluechair said earlier. My bad.

As far as Chris Rock falling back into a more polite host, you really don't have much of a choice with these things. That opening monologue is the Emcee's time to hold the spotlight (which he did rather well) and afterwards he is essentially relegated to the occassional sketch (like the terrific Magic Johnson theater bit) and introducing the next presenter. It's kinda thankless but if he were to do much more than add a dig in here and there (the Penn/scary black accountants thing or ribbing Halle Berry about Catwoman) he would run the danger of taking the attention off the awards and making it about him. Ultimately, you want the guy to be tart but not to the point that it takes focus away from the winners. Rock did a damn fine job with that and I hope they consider bringing him back to host again. I wish they'd give the gig to Bill Murray at least once because I think he would make the absolute perfect Oscar emcee.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Bill Murray would be great!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I thought Rock did a good job. I am so lame that I only saw a few of the 'big' movies this year, so I didn't have many strong opinions one way or the other. Taylor Hackford has a lot of local presence here (his son, Rio, owns my neighborhood bar and another place in the Quarter) so I was happy to see him get some screen time and props from Foxx and others. I wanted Scorsese to win, not because I thought he was 'better' than Eastwood, but just because I'd like to see him get the recognition. I mean, if Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, King of Comedy, Goodfellas, Gangs of New York, etc. isn't going to get you the bald guy, what will? The Sidney Lumet segment was nice too. More Brando! And is it just me, or does Andrew Lloyd Weber look like he just stepped out of the Shire?
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I agree about Robin Williams. He has always done quantity humour in hopes that something will hit funny. Now that he has done it over and over for so long there are really few hits.

I was happy to see Jamie Fox win. I thought he was fantastic in that movie.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Did anyone else think Gwenyth's dress was horrible?
Dress was ok, kinda bland. I did wonder if she'd stopped nursing little Apple.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I forgot to mention how cool it was to see Sidney Lumet get the Lifetime Achievement Oscar. Although a long career like his has some inevitable ups and downs, he is a brilliant director and probably the best since Kazan when it comes to getting career best work out of his actors. 12 Angry Men can pin you to your seat with nothing but brilliant actors working a top notch script. Long Day's Journey Into Night is one of my all time favorite films and Dog Day Afternoon and The Verdict are right up there as well. Very cool guy and it was nice to see Pacino look so relaxed and unrattled because he always acts like he just came down off a cocaine high when he is at an awards show because he dislikes them so much.

By the way, anybody else wince when DeNiro did the American Express commercial? Even though it was relatively classy as those things go......Robert DeNiro shouldn't be doing commercials, man.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That commercial has been airing for a while. I agree that it's pretty sad, but I like it better than Meet The Fockers.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

El Vez wrote:By the way, anybody else wince when DeNiro did the American Express commercial? Even though it was relatively classy as those things go......Robert DeNiro shouldn't be doing commercials, man.
Actually, this commercial (which was shot by Scorsese, btw) has been airing for quite awhile previous to this. DeNiro did it because American Express was the founding sponsor for the Tribeca Film Festival DeNiro puts on each year.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Off the subject but I did see it during the Oscars. Darius Rucker (Hootie) is dressed up in a Porter Wagner suit singing about a Burger King tender crisp bacon cheddar ranch. Talk about a last gasp from a dead career. That is funny and sad
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Damn, I haven't been keeping up with tv enough lately because I thought it was the premiere of that commerical. Yeah, I can see why he'd be more likely to do that considering AE's sponsorship of the very cool Tribeca Film Festival but it still kinda hurts to watch...even morseso now that I know Scorcese directed it. I'm not quite as militant as Bill Hicks when it comes to artists doing commercials but you never like to see the truly greats ones act like salesmen.

What really irks me about that Burger King commercial is that they are bastardizing Big Rock Candy Mountain. It's the equivalent of watching Scott Stapp shilling for Payless Shoes by singing a Blue Yodel #9 knockoff.

Wow....I think I just scared myself!
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Vez you are starting to turn into Dennis Miller
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

crash8_durham wrote:Vez you are starting to turn into Dennis Miller
Ouch...I thought we were homies, man! :oops:
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

crash8_durham wrote:Off the subject but I did see it during the Oscars. Darius Rucker (Hootie) is dressed up in a Porter Wagner suit singing about a Burger King tender crisp bacon cheddar ranch. Talk about a last gasp from a dead career. That is funny and sad
That answers my question. Specifically, "Is that Hootie?"
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Rock was adequate, but by the standards set by others he paled in comparison. He initially delighted the crowd with his edgy approach, but the centerpiece of his edgy monologue (initially) was naming names in very positive and very negative lights. His comments on Jude Law seemed like a total slam, but he carefully wrapped them in such a way that he had a way out. Sean Penn made it crystal clear that he did not appreciate Rocks comments, and threw high accolades to Law. His slam on the "PhoneBooth" guy, Colin Farrell, was good, but the crowd became uncomfortable wondering if they would be on the Rock "A" list or the Rock "B" list. The laughter dropped off precipitously as the bit went on. Rock crawled out from under one when he said, at the end of the bit "If you want to make a movie with Denzel, but all you can get is Chris Rock, then WAIT!!!" That was his out...

I don't think Oprah was too impressed...

I genuinely thought Aviator would have won best picture. It is a majestic work of art, even though I enjoyed Sideways and Million Dollar Baby much more. Scorcese did do a fantastic job, but the academy reacted very positively to Clint and his movie because of the stunning achievement of producing the entire film in 37 days, under budget, and with no apparent sacrifices. I wonder how the budget and elapsed time in production stats compare between Million and Aviator. Any comments Mr. Cinema (aka Bobster?). I loved the excerpt they used to showcase DiCaprio during the presentation for best actor, when he scornfully slams Ms Hepburn by saying "You are nothing but a movie star...that's all!". Perfect line for that venue.

Aviator had a gutsy performance by Blanchette, and she rightfully won the award for a stunning portrayal of Kate Hepburn. Leonardo has earned respect, but he ain't at the top of his game yet, in my opinion. Scorcese seemed almost stunned when the award went to Clint for Director. He looked frozen in time for a few seconds, and seemed a little shocked. I truly think that he thought his ship (er, very large plane) had come in...

Beyonce needs more exposure. She should fire her agent and hire Don King, if Hillary hasn't already secured him. I thought Hillary Swanks husband acted like an ass, and embarrassed her on the red carpet during the pre show. Criminey, I sound like Star Jones!

Last time two African Americans won Oscars it was headline news. Now, it barely carried a mention. All good.

And Dustin Hoffman was so drunk he had trouble bumbling through with the announcements and presentation for best picture. Does he have this rep, or was he just relaxing too much last night to properly present.

And Halle Berry looked so very nice. What a lovely presentation.
Last edited by Mr. Average on Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

It seems to me that the telecast of the Oscars® is becomming like the Super Bowl. The new commercials are just as important as the show.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Mr. Average wrote:Last time two African Americans won Oscars it was headline news. Now, it barely carried a mention. All good.
I noticed that, too, and I think it's a big step in the right direction. This year, there wasn't the controversy that there was about two of "us" winning, no chatter about whether they really deserved it. No arguments--Freeman and Fox definitely earned those statues.

And yes, Miss Berry was looking on point--I'm SO jealous! I also noticed that she's getting a little junk in the trunk...I guess Beyonce has had more influence than we could have ever imagined...
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I thought Chris Rock was great; I hope he keeps this gig for at least a few more years. And you can put me in the Robin-Williams-makes-me-cringe category. He and Jim Carey... yikes. Every gesture is a plea for attnetion and a cry for help. I'm embarassed for them.

But here's what I want to know: when did Warren Beatty become Richard Nixon? Did anyone else notice that???

bobster

Post by bobster »

I believe it is written that, in the final days, we will become Richard Nixon.

I'll make this quick: Rock -- good, but not as good as I'd hoped. Magic Johnson theater (and Albert Brooks, who really does live not far away from those theaters which are relatively close to the "hood" but also close to the more southern reaches of West L.A.), a highlight.

Awards -- Couldda been worse! I personally was routing for "The Avaitor" to win best director -- I actually thought it was the best DIRECTED movie I've seen in a while, with the exception of "The Incredibles", if not at all the best movie of the year (I would have voted for "Sideways" or, if had been nominated, "The Incredibles").

I was sorry that Virginia Madsen didn't win. She was really luminous in some scenes that could have been just awful if not done right. If she couldn't have won, I would have been delighted to see Laura Linney get it. She was outstanding in Kinsey --, but then she's always outstanding and whadya gonna do, give her an Oscar for every freakin' movie!

Yours truly,

Mr. Cinema :shock: :oops:
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

The awards are live here in Sweden, which means it's in the middle of the night. That, and the fact that a lot of the films come over here just before/after the date makes it a low priority. However, I had a hard time sleeping last night and decided to give it a shot. First thing that happened was Chris Rock making a fat joke about Michael Moore, so I went back to bed. (bored, not offended)

But I'll check out his standup to give him a second chance.

Yeah, it seems like the right nominees won, which you couldn't say about its Swedish equivalent. (The only Swedish film at the Oscars, Kay Pollak's As It Is In Heaven, which got a best foreign film nomination, scored a big fat zero back home, for instance.)
What this world needs is more silly men.