SUPER BOWL!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
wehitandrun

SUPER BOWL!!!

Post by wehitandrun »

Any picks?
(new england by 16)
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Patriots again. They just have too much killer instinct in big games.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Patriots versus Eagles....it's a fix so they could have some Bush-style flag-waving!! :lol:
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

..... almost forgot

:D
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

What a snooze-fest. Most boring Super Bowl in recent memory. OK, that Tampa Bay-Oakland game a few years ago may have been worse, but last night was pretty bad. Lots of turnovers, penalties, poor decisions.

McCartney's halftime performance was nothing special either - just straightforward renditions of a bunch of Beatles tunes and that overblown monstrosity "Live or Let Die".
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Boy With A Problem

I would agree that it was sloppy at times - especially in the first quarter for the Pats - but their defense came up huge again - I wasn't bored for a second - and I'll tip my hat to Paul for not doing a medley - but it's still a lip synch operation out there.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

You want a REAL half-time performance? Click on the Spongebob clip at the bottom. From "Band Geeks" one of my favorite SB Squarepants episodes:

http://www.davidgleneisley.com/video_clips.htm
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Who Shot Sam? wrote: McCartney's halftime performance was nothing special either - just straightforward renditions of a bunch of Beatles tunes and that overblown monstrosity "Live or Let Die".
On the contrary, I hate football and tuned in just to see McCartney's halftime show, which was easily the best in years. After several years of Janet Jackson, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, etc. it was refreshing. I think straightforward renditions of Beatles tunes were exactly what the Super Bowl needed after such overindulgence.

And I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain that it was not lip-synched.
Last edited by BlueChair on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:On the contrary, I hate football and tuned in just to see McCartney's halftime show was the best in years. After several years of Janet Jackson, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, etc. it was refreshing.
Definitely better than those you mention, though that's a pretty low standard. I thought U2's performance a few years ago was outstanding.
bobster

Post by bobster »

The only part I watched was McCartney (our "Macca" to our UK friends). Pretty sure it wasn't lip synched -- saw some human touches on the piano playing and such and it wasn't all that slick/good.

Personally, while it's not a great song or anything, I love "Live and Let Die", though I'm not sure about the messaging.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Boy With A Problem

Shatterproof wrote -
And no matter how much people hate TO because of his ego, he is a player.
to quote a Pats fan I heard earlier today -

TO = Hate his guts. Admire his balls.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Watched the first half, but as it was already past 1 in the morning I passed on macca and the 2nd half. Enjoyed what I saw though.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Mr. Average

Red, White, and Jude

Post by Mr. Average »

I enjoyed the halftime show, and thought it better than most in memory, with the U2 show a close second. What was cumbersome was the strained attempt to tie Paul McCartney to US Patriotism. If you watched, the producers worked hard to weave in a US Patriotic theme, even projecting a huge Statue of Liberty on the platform during the closing segment. The red, white, and blue cards held up by the fans appeared to read "Naa, Naa, Naa, Naananaaa" from the chorus of the closer Hey Jude. Red White and Blue Naa Naa's didn't work too well for me, and I am big on celebrating Patriotism, as my reputation precedes me on this board.

I thought he was a breath of fresh air, and I enjoyed the show. For those prone to delusions of granduer, Imagine what it would feel like playing alongside Paul from that platform when the firework display hit full steam ("Live and Let Die"). Must be an absolute thrill...

The game was much more physical than most appreciate. These two teams pummeled each other. It was a war, and many of the errors on both sides can be traced to the intimidation factor...the potential for a vicious hit was always present.

The better team won. The better coach won. The better coaching team won. And it was sad to see the two minute drill formally laid to rest for all the world to see. The days of Elway, Montana, and Marino taking the reins, calling the plays, and moving the team down the field are gone, it appears. Sending ALL the plays in from the sidelines has crippled the ability of modern quarterbacks to think strategically. They think athletically, but lose their edge when they need to dig down and move the team. I think what we saw last night was the inability of McNabb to move more rapidly because he did not have an 'authorized' play to call until it was radioed into his headset. And that caused ridiculous delays and wasted time.

Blame the Eagles coaches. Their team was ill prepared for the occasion that they would need to march down the field and score with no time outs and little time on the clock. In the old days, it is what Elway, Marino, and Montana lived for, and it is what made them legends in their own time.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

As for the half time show I thought McCartney was fantastic. As for the anthem, it was great to NOT see some Mariah Carey type over sing the whole thing just to show off their range. The choirs were classy and sounded amazing. As for TO. I cannot stand him but wow what a performance. I have to give him credit. He is terrifically athletic. As for the Patriots, they have now won 34 out of 38 games. WOW. As for the Eagles, they did waste a huge amount of time and probably pissed away a chance to at least tie the game at the end. As for the game, I was right, just check my early post here.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Bummer for the Eagles! The Pats are the most boring "Dynasty" ever, but they get it done. Pretty amazing actually, with no real Hall of Fame type of superstars!

I saw the game on Danish TV with Morten Andersen as commentator. Weird to hear him speak Danish :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I believe they will end up with a bunch of players in the Hall. The Steelers have a ton and they are remembered well now but some of them don't have near the stats of other hall members.

Most notibly, Lynn Swann. 377 catches and less than 6000 yards. Art Monk who is not in the hall has 940 catches and over 12000 yards.

Its all about the championships for guys like that. I doubt the Pats will put in as many as the Steelers but there will be more than expected over time.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Agree completely with Mr. A's comments regarding modern quarterbacks. The much maligned Peyton Manning is the only one these days who can truly audible and make those last minute possibilities realities.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

What was the deal with the Macca thing....let's get all the young ones in quick and make them jump up and down, give em all a free lighter for Hey Jude...and massive Naa Naa Naa boards in the stands.
Embarassing.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Why is it embarrasing? Few artists can get an entire stadium to sing along with a song, and "Hey Jude" is one of the few songs to be able to provoke that kind of reaction. When I went to see McCartney a few years back I was in emotional awe, not just because of the performance, but because of the audience. Beatles music is the only music I know of that attracts people regardless of age, race, gender, nationality... grandchildren and grandparents were beaming with smiles, singing along.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I agree with Blue Chair

Here here!!

*raises pint and chugs*
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

I agree with Blue and Crash,

I thought Paul was absolutely incredible.

All of the songs were so well performed, almost to the point where I do question whether the band was actually prerecorded.

Still, Drive My Car had a freshness that surpassed even the original.

The guitar licks were so accentuated that it brought a freshness to the song that simply wasn't achievable in 1965, live or recorded.

Like most, I'm jaded by Paul's lack of relevant recent material. But his performance that night, with those songs, proved that the Beatles, and Mccartney were and are a talent unsurpassed by most since.

I mean, people accuse Paul of not being edgy, but did anyone see the friggin pregame show with the Black Eyed Peas? It was the same embarrasing Heyyy-Hooo that characterizes all stupid modern crap.

Mccartney sounded fresh, polished, and alive.

The Black Eyed Peas looked like a overblown rip off of every SuperBowl extravaganza since 1990.
Boy With A Problem

pophead2K wrote -
The much maligned Peyton Manning is the only one these days who can truly audible and make those last minute possibilities realities
Wait a minute - did you see the Rams/Patriots Super Bowl? When John Madden was calling for the Patriots to take a knee and go to overtime - Tom Brady marched the Pats down the field and got them into field goal position with way less than 2 minutes left on the clock. Brady audibles - and doesn't make the mistakes that the "better" qbs make.

And Cope - (I know I'm biased - I was a fan when Jim Plunket was the quarterback) - they aren't boring - as Crash alluded to above - they hit people as hard as any team in the history of the game (those mid 70's Steelers with Jack Hamm were pretty tough) - I love it when the Pats are on defense more than when they have the ball - the game the way it was meant to be played.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

STILL THINK THEY*RE BORING *ha ha*....I think that the team they had in 1976 was MUCH better. Steve Grogan, Sam Bam, Ike Forte, Stanley Morgan and a POWER D that crushed people.

I love Jim Plunkett too!!!!!! He was my neighbor when I was a little boy and he dug my mommy :lol: And of course I LOVE him cuz he won two super bowls for the Silver and Black.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

You think that the 76 team was better than this one??????? Oh come on. This team is currently on a 34 - 4 run. They have won 3 out of 4 super bowls. They will close games, shoot outs, in all kinds of weather, home, away, on turf, on grass, in domes, I mean come on Cope.