Guilty Pleasures, continued...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Guilty Pleasures, continued...

Post by sulkygirl »

Yeah, forgot about that thread on Narby's board...

I finally got my Birthday CD's from my brother, E.C.'s Rhino Re-Issue of TYM, but I also got---

Ramones--Anthology--Hey Ho, Let's Go!!

Okay, there IS no lyric sheet, but, c'mon, folks...if you NEED a sheet for any of these blissful 2-3 minute wonders, you really need your hearing checked.

But despite the simplicity of these tunes, I'm really getting a kick out of listening to this.

Any other Ramones fans out there??

:oops:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

GABBA GABBA HEY!
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

Gawd, talk about your CLASSIC titles:

Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue
Teenage Lobotomy
Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment
The KKK Took My Baby Away
I Wanna Be Sedated
Psycho Therapy
My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes to Bitburg)
Somebody Put Something In My Drink

I mean, were the late 70's/early 80's a GREAT time to be a teenager, or what??

:lol:
Stranger in the House

Post by Stranger in the House »

I dont wanna grow up - best Ramones song ever !!!!
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Tom Waits...but I agree the Ramones cover is very good.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
selfmademug

P R E V I E W

Post by selfmademug »

Jeeze, I come in here looking for guilty pleasures, and I find... The Ramones?!?! That's not a guilty pleasure!

I know from guilty pleasure. And I keep meaning to post a Guilty Pleasure Lyrics Quiz.

Will do so tomorrow evening...

That's just the most kickass Ramones anthology, ain't it? I love their version of SURFIN BIRD. Ain't no one can say "oo mau mau, pappa ooo mau m'mau" like Joey. He's channelling the Big Bopper there, I swear to gawd. You can tell that boy was raised in Doo-wop country!

Also, anyone who doesn't think I WANT YOU AROUND is one of the most romantic songs ever is a cyborg, I swear, go ahead and check.
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

is it possible to not be a ramones fan? i hope not. the ramones really were the band that turned me on to punk rock. i had a binder in school that had the ramones logo on it and i wrote a punch of other punk bands all over it and wrote on the bottom: e plurabis unom (i can't spell in dead languages either).

i was so lame in high school.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

I've been surfing the Net & trying to find info about Dee Dee's death...one site said he O.D.'d, but I read somewhere else that he had some kind of cancer.

Maybe he voluntarily O.D.'d because he had cancer??

:?
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

I stand corrected. Joey (Jeff Hyman) died of lymphoma (cancer) in April of 2001, Dee Dee (Douglas Colvin) died 14 months later of a heroin overdose.

Damn, Joey was 49?? I'm really starting to feel old!! I mean, DAMN!!

T'would appear that the one article I read was written by someone who had their facts a little mixed...

:oops:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I read a review of a book recently, I think it was written by Dee Dee (though I could be wrong), that was a diary of them beingon tour, and they were sayng it was a really good read, both sad and funny. One for the diehards.

When Joey was dying, he'd play U2's In A Little While loads to himself, which adds an immense extra poignancy to the song, which is my favourite on that LP (ATYCLB).
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Dee Dee's book is called "Lobotomy; surviving the Ramones". It's a good read - beware - the Ramones did not like each other very much.

I've been a big fan of the Ramones since "Rocket To Russia" and in my opinion, they were never the same band after Dee Dee left.

Favorite line -

Hanging Out On Second Avenue
Eating Chicken Vindaloo
I Just Wanna Be With You
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis, I had been thinking to ask what you liked most from ATYCLB... When I Look At The World and New York stand out to me. I saw Bono on tv recount the story of Joey and In A Little While... it was actually the very last song he heard before he died.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

But he was playing it a lot, right? Or was it just the fact that it was the last one? I like nost of the LP. Haven't played it much recently, but did loads when it came out. WILATW is very good, New York is less memorable for me, though it's interesting how there's all this death-related poignancy sprawling across the whole LP: Joey, Michael Hutchence (Stuck In A Place...), Mr Hewson senior (Kite), 9/11 (New York). I love Beautiful Day, too. So positive and ass-kickin'. It's a great LP.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

He probably was Otis; all I knew was that it was the last song he ever heard. And, you may know this but, New York was in fact written before 9/11. Poignant all the same. Love that big sound.
Agree with you about Beautiful Day, it kind of went without saying that it's great. "Re-e-e-e-eeach me...". One thing I didn't know was about Stuck In A Place.. being about Michael Hutchence, though they were mates. I'll listen with that in mind now. I also like the dreaminess of Wild Honey and it'd be great to see them do more stuff like that.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Faithfully by Journey. :shock:
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Well, the whole album came out before 9/11 but it was surprising how it became a musical balm in the aftermath of that day and got a second lease of life. The album also came out before Bono's dad died, although he was dying.

Next U2 album due second quarter of 2004, produced by Chris Thomas.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu