Elliott Smith fans are a rough crowd!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
clairequilty

Elliott Smith fans are a rough crowd!

Post by clairequilty »

Surfing an Elliott Smith forum tonight, as I often do, I was pretty taken aback by alot of the general hostility towards EC and his music.

http://www.blamonet.com/vb/showthread.p ... adid=50643

I was tempted to chime in but after 90 or so mostly indignant posts I just figured "What's the use?'

I now consider Smith my all time favorite songwriter. Yes, even over our man. Whereas Elvis is the ultimate song craftsman, I see Smith's music as so deeply emotional and painful, something I believe Elvis rarely attains, that it just serves a more fulfilling place in my heart.

But so many of the posts on that thread were ugly and or uninformed that I can't help but wonder about the crowd over there and what they're smokin'.

Sorry, I know the end of this post kind of dried up and blew away but I'm tired and I gotta go to bed.
TheImposter

Post by TheImposter »

Good thing I don't hang out there. :shock:

And Elliott was a big fan of EC. I recall a profile in Rolling Stone or somewhere where he said he wanted a career most like Elvis's.

Here's a quote from http://www.eggbert.com/home/eggbert/es_interview.html
Y3: What stuff got you inspired in high school?
ES: Pretty strictly Elvis Costello. Elvis Costello got me through high school. That and The Clash.
I'm a pretty big fan of Elliott too. Figure 8 was about the only thing I listened to for about a year.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I checked out the link and was mostly surprised to find what a dearth of general knowledge about music there was on that particular thread. You'd think that fans of an artist on the fringe would have a better idea of pop and rock history. As ususal, our board shines in comparison.
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

As much as i love Elliott Smith songs and words, Costello is unmistakably a better songwritter.

It hurts me to say it, but it´s true!
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Well, to each his/her own is what I say.

There are people on this board who don't dig Dylan. There are people on Dylan boards I've been to who think the Beatles were shit.

As Prince says, people make the world go 'round.....
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

hey cosmos who said that?

eggrert?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Ha....no, I've never read anything like that from Eggy. Hell, he doesn't even like Bob half of the time. :wink:

I don't recall which poster(s) made the remarks, but they were on the old red board which Sony shut down.
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan