The Long Goodbye

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

The Long Goodbye

Post by ice nine »

After viewing the documentary The Forgetting: A Portrait Of Altzheimer's on PBS I have come to the conclusion that what AIDS was to the 80's and 90's Altzheimer's is to the upcoming decades.

I do not mean to say that AIDS is no longer a terrible and relevant disease that needs to be eradicated, but it is no longer in the forefront as it once was.

http://www.pbs.org/theforgetting/
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

My maternal grandfather died from complications due to his suffering Alzheimer's. He was a very intelligent, literate man who was great company and it was a horrible, scarring experience for my mother to watch that taken away.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Alzheimer's is a horrible disease, but not really for the person who has it. It is devastating to the families. I've seen some pretty bad stuff over the years, and the patients are rarely disturbed, unless the family is trying to get them to be who they were before the disease.

Tips for everyone dealing with someone with Alzheimer's......just roll with it. Don't remind them of anything. They aren't who they used to be. It doesn't matter if it's true. And talk about the past, the way long time ago past. Just let it go, all you are going to do is frustrate yourself and the person with the disease.

And.....take breaks. Find a "babysitter" and go out........you must stay sane, or no one is going to be ok. It's ok to take a break.

Tips from me to you all.....

El Vez....I'm sorry to hear it is in your family....hopefully it was a one time shot. Maybe they can find what actually causes it and stop it.....we can all hope.
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

My maternal grandmother has had this for more than a decade now. My grandfather died in 1996 and years later she was still asking where he was.

My mother will go to visit her at the nursing home and the nurse will say, "Your daughter is here." My grandmother will look straight at my mother and say, "Well, where is she?"

Other than this dreadful disease, she seems to be healthy as a horse and shows no other signs of physical deterioration. Hopefully one day there will be a cure.