Poplovers (not so) Anonymous

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
laughingcrow

Poplovers (not so) Anonymous

Post by laughingcrow »

Inspired by Blue's mickey-taking about my No Doubt enthusiasm, I'm prepared to start a place where we can admit to liking modern pop acts...without fear of retribution, without the sounds of ridicule and laughter ringing in our ears.....

My name is Jamie, and I am a.....

No Doubt
Pink
Destiny's Child
Missy Elliot
Outkast
Sugababes
Dido

...fan.

Ok, so I don't own anything by these guys (except No Doubt and Dido), but I wouldn't turn off the radio, and there may even be a bit of toe-tapping action going on! Oh yes, toe-tapping! I'm sure there's some I've missed off as well.

Don't write my opinions off as the late night musings of a fool, or think I have bad taste, I still love the Beatles, EC, Joni Mitchell, and all the good stuff more. I just think that they make good, catchy songs...I'm not pronouncing Pink as the new Joni, or Gwen as the new Jon Lennon...it's just catchy!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

So's typhoid.

I like No Doubt, too.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

I own almost every record Everything But the Girl put out. I used to have a Poison CD before I lost it somewhere. I also have a Savage Garden CD, and some Depeche Mode, as well as some TLC, Simply Red, Bush, Matchbox 20 and Duncan Sheik.

I feel exposed and frightened.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Its hardly rock'n'roll, but I love.................

Abba
Billy Fury
Dean Martin
Prefab Sprout
Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
Madness
Anne Sophie Von Otter
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, I've already copped to these but for those of you not keeping track...

Erasure
Garbage
Dionne Warwick
Sleeper
Travis (not trashy pop but very uncool from all I can gather...)
Peter Frampton
Hole

And I would honestly bring ELOs NEW WORLD'S RECORD as one of my desert-island ten. I just can't live without it.

Oh, I forgot these (and others, to come...):

Elton John
Mental as Anything
Pop Will Eat Itself
Art of Noise

plus all manner of crap I grew up listening to on AM radio in the late '60s
Last edited by selfmademug on Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Connie Francis
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I do like No Doubt and Dido. And Kylie, although her voice has gone funny lately.

"Toe-tapper"... Crow, that was a real knee slapper!
bobster

Post by bobster »

Duke Ellington said there's only two kinds of music, good music and bad music. He made no mention of kitschy-good music, but I love lots of the old stuff.

I mean, isn't it all pop? Isn't EC largely (mainly?) a popster himself?

Not to many of today's pop bands have caught my attention -- most of what I hear is disgustingly, shockingly bland -- though there are some I don't mind too terribly much like, yes, No Doubt and that one Pink Song wasn't to bad. BTW: If Noise is reading this I just heard an Outkast song at my gym and it was #$@#$'n amazing. Loved it, though I'm not sure it's pop in the sense we mean here.

But from the fabulous past, geez, there's almost no ending it! But when has that ever stopped me. I'll limit myself to the slightly guilty pleasures with a touch of kitsch -- or maybe giant dollops of it -- and those acts who's greatness (?) remains somewhat under-recognized, critically.

Otherwise I'll end up listening all my favorites -- isn't Motown pre-1970 pop? What about Phil Spector? Dustry Springfield? Sinatra? Bacharach and David? Most of the Beatles, the Beach Boys, a lot of Squeeze, Nick Lowe, etc., etc.

Gene Pitney
Nancy Sinatra
ELO
Cher (in her "Gypsies, Tramps and Theives" phase -- not the recent stuff!)
Nick Gilder
Sweet
The Monkees
The Archies
Frankie Lane
Tennessee Ernie Ford
Googie Grant
The Andrews Sisters
Bette Midler (again, early days only)
Shelley Fabares

And now, Bobster explores his disco side...

ABC (first album only)
Falco ("Der Kommisar" only)
Thomas Dolby ("She Blinded Me with Science" only)
K.C. and the Sunshine Band
Wild Cherry
Donna Summer
Ohio Players
The Weather Girls (yes, I actually bought the single of "It's Raining Men" and I don't care who knows it! Halleluhluh. Who knew it was supposed to be a gay thing?? Not I, apparently.)
Which brings me to...
The Village People
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Those "Philadelphia sound" records (can't remember the band names)

The funny part is, at the time, I thought I sorta disliked disco.

And I'm just getting warmed up! (Though I think I've wrapped the disco thing.)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Wow, I walk away from the board for 9 hours or so and half the threads in the annex turn into a guilty pleasure confession!

Outkast
Eminem
Elton John (though strictly 70s)
Abba
All American Rejects
Sum 41
Jimmy Eat World
Everclear

:oops: . . . Am I banished yet?
Last edited by pip_52 on Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

My cd collection includes: Duncan Sheik, ELO, Boz Scaggs, Phil Collins, Jim Croce, Al Jarreau, Christopher Cross, Men at Work, Loggins & Messina, Was (Not Was), Indigo Girls, Don McLean

I don't own any M&M (sp?), but I did like 'Stan'

One of my favorite CD is one I had made at Tower Records. It includes:
The Foundations - 'Build Me Up Buttercup' & 'Baby Now That I Found You'
Grass Roots - 'Temptation Eyes' & 'I'd Wait A Million Years'
Paper Lace - 'The Night Chicago Died' & 'Billy, Don't Be A Hero'
Looking Glass - 'Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)'
The Brooklyn Bridge - 'Worst That Could Happen'
I hoped to include Terry Jacks' 'Seasons In The Sun' but I couldn't find it.

It's hard to know what is 'cool' so why bother trying to be it?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Umm, I'm not sure if this is a good idea.... *deep breath*

Sugarbabes
No Doubt
Abba
Outkast
Justin Timberlake
Liberty X
Beyonce Knowles/Destiny's Child
Atomic Kitten
Pet Shop Boys

I CANNOT STAND DIDO!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

*deep anxious breath*

Craig David

Hey, if it invokes an emotion it's good yeah! I don't like any of the boyband shit, Im not into any of that, and former pop acts like Elton John, Abba, SDionne Warwick, Gene Pitney, etc...they become classics after surviving 20yrs, so their's no shame in admitting a fondness for them! If you said I like Elton John, it'd receive a lot less laughs than if you started singing 'Whats your flava' on a cold wet wednedsday in Glasgow! :lol:

PS...Travis are excellent, I don't know why it's uncool to like them. Same kinda thing with Ocean Colour Scene,a nother great band, everyone just assumes that because they arose the same time as a lot of 'britpop' (stupid musical term alert!) bands, they're not so good.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I feel sick.

Badly Drawn Boy

I also quite like David Gray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Don't feel sick......Hour of the Bewilderbeast is a great record.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

..................not sure about David Gray tho....
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Hmmm confession is good for the soul right?? OK here goes.....

Westlife

Brittany Spears

Eminem

Blue

Madness (already divvied up on this one on the my next concert thread!)

Matt Munroe

Greenday

Therapy?

The Corrs

Is that enough and do I have to say 3 hail mary's now? :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's interesting to see what artists people are considering to be bubblegum pop around here.

Badly Drawn Boy may be seen as pretty mainstream in the UK, but he's considered pretty indie in North America. I never hear him on the radio here. I have most of his records and love them all.

Travis is also a great band.

Alright, I guess it's my turn. I own FOUR Sheryl Crow cd's. Yeah, yeah, I dunno... for a while it seemed she could be taken seriously. She put out that album The Globe Sessions and Dylan gave her one of his Time Out Of Mind outtakes ("Mississippi") to record. I still believe that that album and Sheryl Crow are great! Though her latest album is kind of wank. She seems to have reverted back to her mindless bubblegum pop of "All I Wanna Do Is Have Some Fun."
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I think that's why I sort of question the premise of this wonderful thread! I mean, it's all pop. Just ask a jazz or classical snob, they'll gladly inform you how low even EC, Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan are! (They'll usually admit that they like "Yesterday" though!)

Political incorrectness aside, I enjoy Eminem quite proudly, and I don't see how what he does can be in any way "pop" (except in the sense stated above). It's hip-hop/rap. But, obviously, anything can be a guilty pleasure, as long as you feel guilty about it!

I guess when you think about it, Wagner is a guilty pleasure, or ought to be.

Ice-Nine -- boy that list brought up some mildly frightening musical memories....But wasn't "Billy, Don't be A Hero" recorded by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods? Always loved "The Night Chicago Died" and how the first line is "Daddy, was a cop, on the east side of Chicago." This is very amusing to Chicago residents (of which I am related to many), since the east side of Chicago is Lake Michigan. Guess he was in the Coast Guard.

Here's a few more of my guilty or not pop pleasures...

Petula Clark
Peter Frampton
Leslie Gore
Rachel Sweet
Lena Lovich
The Go-Gos
The Bangles
The Turtles
The Mamas and the Papas
Johnny Rivers
Jay and the Americans
Bobby Darin
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
firebetty

Post by firebetty »

as the electrician flipped around the radio and got to work, he looked at me and said, " Who doesn't like Billy Joel?"
How could I disagree?
What shame is there in liking Outkast? Their new record is top notch, especially Andres side. (to me at least). It is rare when I listen to a new record and say, what the da*F38%#@ z/are they doing!? stank you very much.
Hour Of The Bewilderbeast is a good record. and it is true, Badly Drawn Boy is not that popular over here.
I love Missy's last release.
I always stop for Pink.
but the shame is Jewel. Embarrasing as her make over is. i have stopped the radio for the latest single.
Love Byonce's last two singles. And her live preformances of these songs should be putting a hell of a fire under anyone preforming these days. Britanny and Christina need to step it up! Even though I really liked the video of Christina's with Lil' Kim. I was actually shocked. I don't think I've been shocked by a video before.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I have more, I quite like Gabrielle.

If anyone owns up to liking Cliff Richard (post 1965) I will disown them!
signed with love and vicious kisses
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

:? Was Living Doll pre or post 65?????
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

Outkast aren't a guilty pleasure, for whoever listed them. Critics fawn over them. So do I.

My list:

Justin Timberlake
Eminem (who, when you get down to it, is pretty poppy)
Coldplay
The Get Up Kids
Beyonce
Britney and Christina (Well, I love the videos...and some of the songs are good, too)
Madonna
Green Day

....etc.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

love Green Day.

what should i buy of Outkast? i LOVE the latest single, and video. guess i should just get the cd.

and Jimmy Eat World makes me very happy when i hear it on the radio. i crank it up and sing along.

though, i think i'm too old to like this stuff. good thing i don't look my age. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Poppet, as long as you're not wearing granny panties I think you're ok on the age thing! At least, that's what I'm telling myself.

I watch vh1 in the early morning when I'm exercising, and have to agree with you on the Outkast video. But the weird thing was seeing the Madonna/Britney one (music slave? or something)--it was like seeing the real slut v. the pretender...was the irony intended?

I don't know where they fit in genre-wise, but I like Jack Johnson esp. at work, Sean Paul esp. in the auto, and the above-mentioned Cardiovideo when I'm exercising.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i have to admit to wearing granny panties?????? no way!

can't nobody see my undies.

oh. that's not necessarily a good thing.

poor poppet. can't get it right for all the trying. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....