Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Pretty self-explanatory
The Gentleman

Re: Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Post by The Gentleman »

The continued, and perhaps unlikely, convergence of Elvis Costello and Brett Michaels:

"I must admit it is very therapeutic and at times very tough to write a book that stretches from birth to present day," he wrote. "However, on a very funny note, I demanded that the book be filled with pictures. Honestly, when you see my prom photo and realize that I was the original Napoleon Dynamite -- well, that alone makes the purchase of the book worth it."

From the Star-Tribune interview with Brett Michaels prior to his Taste of Minnesota appearance:

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... aUycaEacyU
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

EC covering Knocking On Heaven's Door. Don't know from when but it sounds like early period.

http://retromusicsnob.blogspot.com/2009 ... html#links
migdd

Post by migdd »

It's from the Flip City demos, circa 1975 - 1976.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Thanks, migdd.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://lancasteruaf.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... tions.html

July 16, 2009

Nick Griffin Alleges Rights Violations Against Uk 'nationalist Dissidents'

Posted by Antifascist

BNP leader, in maiden European parliament speech, claims parties using taxpayers' money 'to fund own militia which breaks up opposition meetings'

(extract)

The British National party leader, Nick Griffin, [yesterday] delivered his first European parliamentary speech, using a debate on the crisis in Iran to denounce alleged human rights violations against "nationalist dissidents" in Britain.

Griffin told the Strasbourg chamber that vested interests in the west and the Middle East were itching to go to war against Iran and were using human rights as a new "casus belli". He said "warmongers" were preparing for a "third illegal attack on the western world" and invoked Elvis Costello's song Oliver's Army to protest against the prospect of British youth being sent to die in Iran.

"Do not leave the war – which hypocritical rhetoric will help to justify and unleash – to the usual brave British cannon-fodder: 18-year old boys from the Mersey and the Thames and the Tyne," he said. "Instead, send out your own sons to come home in boxes, or without their legs, their arms, their eyes or their sanity. Or mind your own business."
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The sort of person you'd rather had never heard and EC record and certainly wouldn't want making allusions. Fascist c**t.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/programs/spotl ... alcomments

Dragons Den guy Kevin O'Leary is not exactly a shrinking violet. He's been called "the most combative cash-doling tycoon on Dragons' Den," [...]

Kevin O'Leary's Summer Road Trip Playlist
1. The Doors "LA Woman" I visited Jim Morrison's grave in Paris because of this song.
2) Steppenwolf "Monster" Listen to the lyrics of this song and tell me these guys we not 20 years ahead of their time!
3) Elvis Costello "Kinder Murder" Classic Elvis and I don't mean Presley.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Interesting blog ; includes Impatience from North -

http://onedeadfish.blogspot.com/2009/07 ... ected.html

'(Somewhat Neglected) Elvis Costello Songs '
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

From a 1997 interview with John Hughes:
"In the '70s I was dying," he said. "I couldn't stand hippie music ... all those people running around in their overalls, disco was horrendous, so I was listening to classical music, Jimmy Rogers and Hank Williams," he said, describing how he discovered legendary Chicago indie record store Wax Trax, where he first picked up albums by Elvis Costello. On a trip to England, he discovered punk bands like the Stranglers, the Buzzcocks and the Clash. For him, it was like finding the Beatles.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

I just wished Facebook friend Davey Faragher a Happy Birthday 8)
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Interesting blog ; includes Impatience from North -

http://onedeadfish.blogspot.com/2009/07 ... ected.html

'(Somewhat Neglected) Elvis Costello Songs '
Do any of you clever people know where an mp3 of "Impatience" might be obtained? Now that I've finally heard it, it is obsessing me. I've looked, but can't find it. I am, of course, something of a Techno-spaz, so maybe I just don't know where to look. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

That song has such a delicious Cubano feel to it along with some tasty guitar work by Marc Ribot- I have it on my Japan import of the cd but unforturnately do not know how to transfer it to you-maybe my daughter can think of a way when she comes home this evening from work-I equally enjoy the other bonus song-"too blue" as he cleverly works around the 'blue' word yet again-has the sound/arrangement of a Dave Frischberg compostion.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

That song has such a delicious Cubano feel to it along with some tasty guitar work by Marc Ribot
Yes! Delicious is the perfect word!
I have it on my Japan import of the cd but unforturnately do not know how to transfer it to you-maybe my daughter can think of a way when she comes home this evening from work
That would be very kind of you (and your daughter) if it's possible--I know the youngsters have tend to have the good computer skills, so I'll hope for the best.
I equally enjoy the other bonus song-"too blue" as he cleverly works around the 'blue' word yet again-has the sound/arrangement of a Dave Frischberg compostion.
Ooooh! I've never heard this song. I am instantly intrigued! It sounds fantastic!
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Pete Thomas appears on the latest Fito y Fitipaldis album out in September

along with, it appears ..

John Paul Jones, Suzanne Vega, Los Lobos)
& bass player Andy Hess (Gov't Mule, The Black Crowes, Tina Turner, David Byrne).

The band also announce a Spanish tour in November.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/epa/ar ... 5CjnPDGTfw
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://chucktaylorblog.blogspot.com/200 ... tello.html

Elvis with Billboard's Chuck Taylor (right)

The bloke in the backround looks familiar- Donald Fagan , perhaps?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://courtlove111.wordpress.com/2009/ ... -costello/

August 31, 2009

(extract)

Molly drove me to the airport in Buffalo early yesterday morning and I had a very uneventful trip back to Chicago except for the fact that Elvis Costello was on my plane! Kind of cool to have a random celebrity sighting. Of course he was in first class and I was way in the back!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

No idea what this is about...
my dad talked to Elvis Costello about my music for an hour today. Knowing that EC knows about my music... Welcome to The Twilight Zone?
http://twitter.com/troubadoursmith/status/3808964300
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Here in NYC, over Labor Day Weekend, a local radio station did one of those countdown things--in this case it was the "Definitive 1019 Songs of All Time". I know--those countdowns are stupid and predictable--but this one was much less bullshitty than the norm because the songs were chosen by the listening audience. And apparently the listening audience included a lot of people with both taste and brains. Elvis was quite well represented, appearing 10 times on the list, most notably at #9 with PLU. That was a bit amazing.

It's actually a cool and surprising group of songs. The Smiths at #3? I was stunned! The Jim Carroll Band at #138? Possibly even more stunning.

Here is a link if you want to have a look. http://www.1019rxp.com/music/RockCountdownOffical.aspx
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Interesting list and thank you for posting- has to be a generational thing but[unless I miscount] Dylan only gets 3 spots and barely cracks the top 100-happy The Smiths get the number of listings they received-do see a generational change as the old guard drifts off[or as Jim Carroll would say 'these are people that died' metaphorically anyway].
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Yeah--I was working on some artwork on Labor Day so I turned on the radio to keep me company and got sucked into that list--ended up listening to the top 100 songs. And there were so many unexpected and surprising entries--by the end it was really suspenseful. I was sure the top song would be something like "Satisfaction" or "Black Dog", as per usual for countdowns like that. As you say, maybe (for better or worse) the "Old Guard" is finally receding a bit. But it's a little scary if bands like The Smiths, The Clash, The Ramones, even Elvis are becoming the New Old Guard.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Diana getting lonely over in France -

martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Important fashion update about Red Shoes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... 28/fashion

I keep seeing women wearing shoes with red soles. Is this all about some new trend?

Charlotte, north London

Kind of. What it actually is about is the rise of a fancy-pants shoe label, Christian Louboutin, which is part of the Manolo Blahnik/Jimmy Choo/Christian Louboutin holy shoe triptych (or Bermuda triangle, depending on how much horror the concept of paying over £400 for a pair of shoes inspires in your breast, Charlotte).

Here's the sitch: Louboutins are sexier than Manolos without being quite as trashy as Choos (nor as downright slutty as Gina, but not as artistic as Jonathan Kirkwood, nor as elegant as Rupert Sanderson, and not as flattering as Jonathan Kelsey). So as you can see, there was a niche that needed filling, and that niche was sexy-but-not-slutty-shoes-that-cost-almost-if-not-more-than-half-a-grand-that-you-can-barely-walk-in.

And I can bring you EXCLUSIVE news that in the upcoming and pretty-much-guaranteed-to-be-awful Sex and the City movie, Carrie has jettisoned her famous "Manolos" in favour of "Louboutins". You know it, folks: " Ask Hadley: First with the international news stories." Eat my DUST, Christiane Amanpour!

This kind of endorsement will, as Mr Blahnik will no doubt verify, only make Monsieur Louboutin more successful than he already is. Who needs to spend money on advertising when you can get celebrity endorsements for free?

Which brings us neatly to the next point – the frequency with which you see the red sole. You see, Charlotte, the red sole is Mr Louboutin's signature detail, which not only ups the shoe's sexiness quotient (I have no idea, nor interest in psychoanalysing, how a glance of a red sole on a lady's shoe is sexy; it just is), but it also works as branding without stooping to anything as obvious as declasse as a logo.

However. Some cheeky monkeys on both the high street and (gasp!) up in Designer Land have noticed this and have started slapping red soles on their shoes. (Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, meanwhile, classy to the hem of her min-kilt, once advised painting one's high-street shoes' soles with red nail polish to get Louboutin on the cheap. The thought of Tara staying in on a Friday night and nail polishing her shoes brings sunshine to my heart sometimes, it truly does.) Louboutin has done his best to stop this rot, filing for copyright and what have you, but it's all gone a bit stable door, horse bolted. And if that horse should flash some red on the bottom of his hoofs as he canters into the distance, Christian, I'd take it up with TP-T.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Boo Hewerdine
tells a story dating from , I think, 1985 -

http://www.themusicmagazine.co.uk/features/5808

Elvis Costello

The Bible were recording in Wessex studios. Anarchy In The UK was recorded there. By the way, apart from Sid, I have met all the Pistols. John Lydon held a door open for me, Paul Cook and Steve Jones signed my packet of ten B&H when I was walking to the dole office, and I once had a cup of tea with Glen Matlock. Where was I? Oh yes. Elvis was in the big studio and we were in the little one. There was a shared kitchen. He was there for five days and I was determined to say hello. Unfortunately, when I meet famous people I tend to get overawed and either babble like a chimp on uppers or come over all Marcel Marceau with the stitch. I was too scared to speak to him. On the last day I had a word with myself and resolved to wait in the kitchen and engage him in conversation. I made myself a cheese sandwich and waited. Eventually he came in and headed straight for the fridge. I gathered my thoughts and casually walked towards him. With his head still in the refrigerator he shouted, “Who’s had my fucking cheese?”. Oh dear.