Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Can't argue with that. It's insane. Our clubs appear to have one thing in common. Boards with large egos and little common sense.
Yes, the Jol situation is another complete mess. Levy must be having second thoughts about Ramos after seeing his team dismantled by Arsenal on Wednesday. Back to the drawing board.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

God that Grant press conference was beyond a joke. The management of this club is a shambles. I almost want us to lose and lose until this cunt is replaced. I would expect a massive protest at the next home match against Fulham. I don't know a single Chelsea supporter who thinks bringing Grant in as manager was a good idea.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I liked Jose when he first took over but have tired of him over the past couple of seasons. He b(r)ought success to the club but not much in the way of innovation. Chelsea mainly play percentage football, minimal risk, grinding out results on a regular basis. Yes, they have had high scores but rarely have they been an exciting team to watch. Nothing wrong in that, Chelsea had not won the title for many years and so the first priority was to achieve that, which Jose did - in successive seasons which is something that Arsenal have not done since the 1930's. I remember when Arsenal won the title in 1989 under George Graham for the first time since 1973 (read/see Fever Pitch), it didn't matter what kind of footbal we played it was the winning something that mattered. However after a certain amount of success you start craving something else (I'm not sure the average Chelsea fan had got that far yet though) and I think that this is one of the things that has been bugging the Russian - that combined with Jose's surliness have resulted in the end of an era. I fail to see that the appointment of Grant will improve things on the entertainment front though as he was criticised when the Israel manager for employing negative tactics. I think anyone should be given a fair chance though, you never know wgat might happen. Chelsea's ambition to be a big club, making a profit and being self sustainable seem a long way off but I think are/were achievable but need to realise that it take sustained success to get the kind of following that they desire. If the fans turn against the Russian/Israeli axis then I can see the Russian upping sticks and going elsewhere, god knows where that would leave them financially. If they get past the initial period I think the Russian will turn them into a kind of Real Madrid where the players of bought by the president and given to one of the three coaches that they employ each season. The English game will certainly be worse off without Jose, his pitch side antics and his pre and post match comments. Ramble on.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The thing is that it's a two-way street. Abramovich needs to understand that he's never going to achieve what he want to achieve if he fails to take the feelings of supporters into account and he's never going to attract the kinds of players and manager he wants if he looks like an impatient dickhead prone to temper tantrums. If he wanted to get rid of Mourinho he should have done so this summer and found an adequate replacement. Grant's not qualified to manage any PL team, much less a team involved in Champions League and expected to win it by five goal margins with style.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Abroad. That encompasses a whole lot of territory.

$200* for a picture of Mostest forehead to forehead with Micah Richards.

little Mostest did ok too. 5-0: not his fault.

two is an evil number. Jos scores 2 and loses. RBNY score 2 and tie. Columbus. Freaking Columbus. Two for a WIN. WTF? Go, Edward.

*in monopoly money.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Red Bulls really should have won that one comfortably. Angel saves our bacon - again.

moody, have you seen my "Fire Bruce" t-shirt?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

MJ could be on his way out this week if we lose at Bolton today. :(
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Bye bye Jol - cant say im that gutted to see you go. You are far too predictable! You bring on subs near the end of every game which even I can see coming. I can name time - the player/players going off, and the subs before it happens and so can every opposition manager!! Every game we play better in the first half and after your half time team pep talk we play like a pile of crap!

Well done Malbranque - you were the man of the match today.

Well my baby son got himself in the Chelsea team news again today - he is on the BBC sports website photo taken this afternoon at Man U. (red hair blue shirt) . He made the flag - I laminated and stapled the chelsea badge on for him! Looks like Jose might be on his way to Spurs next season! :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7009269.stm (Click on picture 7)
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Well manure won as expected although they were not very impresive and got a lot of help from the clown in a refs uniform. Why is it that some refs have to ruin games by trying to make the headlines themselves? If Obi had to go then there should have been 2 or 3 more reds as well.

Tottenham still in bottom three. :lol: :twisted:
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fuck me, what a shitty week. I need a large adult beverage.

Hacked off for so many reasons, though I must admit to having mixed feelings about losing today. I haven't watched the game, but read reports and saw some highlights. About what I expected, including us getting shafted again by a ref. They say these things even out, so we should have some decisions going our way at some point. Yeah, I know - Liverpool - but this is the second consecutive week where dubious decisions by a ref have played a big role in us dropping points. I can't believe that Fergie had the gall to complain about the refereeing after the match.

Tell your boy to hang in there Gilli. It could get a lot uglier before it gets better. I feel we need a good brush fire to clear some of these idiots out of the club. Problem is that the biggest idiot may be the man at the top.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Well if you had seent he game, even you would have struggled not to concede that Ben Haim fouled Evra in the penalty area early on, so Fergie has every right. Mikel should have been only a booking, but Joe Cole every bit a sending off, and I don't think he was even booked. Swings and roundabouts. Man U's finishing still off the boil to a fair extent (though the Giggs assist for Tevez's duck-breaker was poetry in motion), but we were the much better team. Ben Haim was crap. Average, as Hansen said. And I guess he'll be an automatic first team choice for the current regime.

Arsenal keep getting better - true title-winning form if they keep this up. It's a nice story so far this season - Thierry who? Adebayor now looks like a proper replacement. And Fabregas like one of the very best midfielders in the world. It's impossible to begrudge Wenger a moment of this success. Benitez on the other hand, derves every bit for leaving Torres out and being generally crap.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Well if you had seent he game, even you would have struggled not to concede that Ben Haim fouled Evra in the penalty area early on, so Fergie has every right.
You obviously didn't see it either, because by all accounts it was Cole and not Ben Haim that fouled Evra. Ben Haim was penalized when Saha took his disgraceful swan dive, something you seem to be skilled in pointing out when Chelsea players do it, but are strangely blind to when it's your beloved Mancs.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I too think Cole should have been sent off. I also agree that Saha's dive was pathetic. I thought that kind of thing was reducing, but there you go :roll: .

Spurs are proving increasingly disappointing, but I still back Jol. My memory is a little stronger than some Spurs fans and I recall the really dark years before he arrived. I have to say though that he does confuse at times. Coming out with soundbites such as "Defoe is the best finisher at the club" and then leaving him out of the squad :? He looked sharp on Thursday and I would have stuck himm in the side, and left out Berba, who has looked decidedly lacking in interest of late.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:You obviously didn't see it either, because by all accounts it was Cole and not Ben Haim that fouled Evra. Ben Haim was penalized when Saha took his disgraceful swan dive, something you seem to be skilled in pointing out when Chelsea players do it, but are strangely blind to when it's your beloved Mancs.
I saw the highlights, and was confusing the Cole challenge with another Ben Haim incident Alan Hansen picked out as an illustration of his inadequacy which was very similar to the one that caused the penalty. Saha was fouled in the penalty area. Yes, he made the most of it, which is crap, but I wouldn't contest the penalty. It was less deserving than the Cole one. Cole should definitely have been off rather than Mikel. His attack on Ronaldo's foot was cynical and dangerous.

Interesting Observer article on 'Turncoat Terry's' role in JM's exit and RA's new role as tactical coach! Not sure if it was this article or another Sunday paper that Terry was threatening to sure over, I heard on the radio.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/st ... 06,00.html

The paragraph on his wages and contractual demands are deeply shocking and a good indication of the ruination of football through money. Terry has always been loathsome, but at least used to be a great player. Now he's just loathsome.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I don't know how much to believe about all of this. I have a hard time believing that Terry would play any role in getting Mourinho fired, at least wittingly. Terry hasn't been playing well this season, and I'm sure that caused some friction with Mourinho, but I imagine he's as disgusted as any of the players at the recent turn of events.

You wouldn't contest the Saha penalty? Why not? It was the result of a dive and was unmerited.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Norman Foster's design for the renovated Nou Camp. Looks like a giant piece of Indian corn...

mood swung

the one thing I noticed

Post by mood swung »

ImageImage
Who Shot Sam?

Re: the one thing I noticed

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:ImageImage
:D :D

We go from having the most stylish, charismatic manager in the league to something out of a horror movie, with all the personality of a day-old bowl of oatmeal. At least Abramovich is happy. :roll:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Was Gareth Bale injured for Spurs? Not even on the bench.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Not as far as i know. :?

There are some strange goings on at the moment. Bale, kaboul and Defoe all left out.

Very odd.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:You wouldn't contest the Saha penalty? Why not? It was the result of a dive and was unmerited.
"Chelsea stubbornly kept the deficit to one goal until Louis Saha's spot-kick after a foul on him by Tal Ben Haim."
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:You wouldn't contest the Saha penalty? Why not? It was the result of a dive and was unmerited.
"Chelsea stubbornly kept the deficit to one goal until Louis Saha's spot-kick after a foul on him by Tal Ben Haim."
Source: Iraqi Minister of Information
Otis Westinghouse

"Four decisions that shaped the game

The penalty that was but wasn't given ...

Joe Cole recklessly scythes down Patrice Evra just inside the penalty area. Replays show that Cole got the man not the ball but the referee, Mike Dean, ignores calls for a spot-kick.

The penalty that wasn't but was given ...

Tal Ben Haim's boot makes the slightest of touches with Louis Saha. The United striker theatrically goes to ground and Dean points to the spot. Saha scores to make it 2-0.

The red card that was given ...

Mikel John Obi's two-footed lunge on Evra misses the ball but takes out the defender. Referee Dean has no hesitation in punishing the challenge with a straight red card for dangerous play.

The red card that wasn't

Joe Cole is the unpunished villain once again as his rash sliding challenge on Cristiano Ronaldo sends the Portuguese winger sprawling. But the tackle goes unpunished, to Sir Alex Ferguson's dismay."
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

So you didn't read that second one? Take your red blinkers off. I'm not saying that Chelsea deserved anything out of the game, now having seen it, but the Saha penalty was beyond a joke. The ref had about five important decisions to make in the match and got none of them right. Rooney should have walked for a second yellow as well.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Beware the man who speaks " ".