40 DAYS OF ELVIS COSTELLO: A Countdown To WISE UP GHOST

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Re: 40 DAYS OF ELVIS COSTELLO: A Countdown To WISE UP GHOST

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I did indeed. I went to all four Fridays at Shepherds Bush Empire in July. The show on 26th was the best I'd ever seen the Attractions. The sound and playing was great, but then it's a good venue. I loved the inclusion of You've Been Cheating in Rockinghorse Road.
Don't remember hearing that latter bit, nor the addition of a snippet of That Lady into the aforementioned Distrorted Angel/Chelsea.

Interesting looking at the setlists for your highlight of the 26th and mine the very next night at the Roundhouse (you didn't make that one, right?):

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -26_London
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1996-07-27

You got the v obscure and unrecorded Far From the Prize - 10 known performances, all that summer - and the even obscurer Passionate Fight, though released at least by Ute Lemper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou2wfFZgIk8

But obscure Elvis-wise in that no recording exists, no bootleg recordings cited nor even performance dates of it on the wiki. Did Costello ever play it again?

I got one of 10 known performances of Black Sails in the Sunset, which I remember well as I'd never heard it and it stayed with me. And then I now see from the above that he did the intro (I think that was all) of Daddy Can I Turn This? three times to close main set and two encores. I remember it as being a bit weird, kind of like the opening segment of Man Out of Time from that earlier recording, gritty and rough sounding and Elvis seemed to be getting off on cranking it out.

Wow, that was 17 years ago. My second boy's lifetime.

Will def need to check back on The Empire Strikes Back bootleg. The Wiki doesn't even list it, only 'Back With a Vengeance' (which for me just has to be followed by 'much in vogue...' as in the opening line of Orange Juice's Poor Old Soul). I'm assuming it's the same thing only under a different name.

The other thing that makes me immensely jealous of the 26th is that Ron Sexsmith was support. Don't recall seeing him do you? 2 months after the release of his remarkable album. Secret Heart freshly hatched. Must have been great to hear.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

Jack of All Parades wrote:I, too, enjoy the Harle contributions.
Come Away Death was OK, but not a patch on the directer, simpler version the RSC did last year with Adem as songwriter. It totally blew me away on the day, as did the other pieces. Very sadly no cast recording exists, nor has Adem released it, but he did record and sing it for this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcG5qzkd_Hw

This and the sublime Laura Marling songs for this year's As You Like It have set the bar for me for unimprovable Shakespeare renditions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpEqv7DAPV4

Damn, best get to bed!
cwr

Post by cwr »

I was at the Liverpool concert when he played "Still So Far From The Prize" and when it was over and I was talking with some people who had seen the show, I was the only one who had noticed or remembered that a new song had been played. I was trying to figure out if it was an original or a cover, and the more I described it, the more it started to make me feel like I was going crazy and hallucinated it!

"The lights dimmed and there was a spotlight on Costello and then he sang this song I'd never heard before, the lyrics were like "what do you want me to say to you?"..."

They had no memory of it!

It was a genuine relief to eventually see set lists from the London shows and confirm that I hadn't imagined it!
Otis Westinghouse

Indeed: http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Liverpool

Audience recordings exist - does anyone have this obscure number in their bootleg archive?

Would you agree that those shows were among his finest? Looking back at the setlist reminds me of how great an evening it was. Loved the solo Veronica, then into Oliver's Army and then Bruce and Pete came back on.

Whatever the ill feelings between Elvis and Bruce at the time, they sounded great on that last tour.
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -26_London
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1996-07-27

You got the v obscure and unrecorded Far From the Prize - 10 known performances, all that summer - and the even obscurer Passionate Fight, though released at least by Ute Lemper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou2wfFZgIk8

But obscure Elvis-wise in that no recording exists, no bootleg recordings cited nor even performance dates of it on the wiki. Did Costello ever play it again?
Curious that the wiki page doesn't list the performances of "Passionate Fight," since I know he must've performed it again, as I have several live recordings of it! More recordings than I have of "Far From the Prize," I'm fairly sure. He and Steve kept doing "Passionate Fight" through at least '99.

edit: Just located the wiki page for performances of "PF": http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... nate_Fight
The main page for the song doesn't link to it, for some reason. But it confirms that he did play it on and off for a few years.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Not a devisive album for me. One of my top 10 in fact. It has always been an adult, literate, and musically sophisticated take on male/female relations and the ways we can cause more harm than good to one another as partners or lovers. It is an album I wish the powers that be would give a remaster treatment including the addition of some of the fine extras that CWR highlights. This record also spawned one of the finest nights I spent in EC's company at Radio City Music Hall in 1998. That was a magical night of music in the company of EC and Burt. A very special record in my collection.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

cwr wrote:DAY 28: PAINTED FROM MEMORY

http://connorratliff.tumblr.com/post/60 ... ory-no-one
Every entry has been great, but the Phantom Menace link is priceless. Well played sir!
Otis Westinghouse

MistakenForLilies wrote:Curious that the wiki page doesn't list the performances of "Passionate Fight," since I know he must've performed it again, as I have several live recordings of it! More recordings than I have of "Far From the Prize," I'm fairly sure. He and Steve kept doing "Passionate Fight" through at least '99.

edit: Just located the wiki page for performances of "PF": http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... nate_Fight
The main page for the song doesn't link to it, for some reason. But it confirms that he did play it on and off for a few years.
Nice one. Checked the archive and found I have a couple of these: from the Boston Paradise May 20 show and the aforementioned Empire Strikes Back (not Back With a Vengeance!) July 5th. Almost identical intro by Elvis each time.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

It's a strong record, certainly. As with North, I tend to "respect" it more than I really enjoy it (although I prefer this to North). The reasons for my own inability to love the album are threefold:

1. It's another entry, it seems to me, into EC's canon of "1990s oversinging." E.g., I find the vibrato needlessly exagerrated on a song like "In the Darkest Place," and the straining on key bits of "God Give Me Strength" speaks for itself. I really wish he had eased up in a number of places on this album. Let the song do the work.

2. As Connor notes - but with more admiration than I'd accord - Costello here subordinates his distinctiveness as a writer to the genre in which he's working. He does it well, but the fact is that it's his distinctiveness, not his proficiency in submission to form, that's ultimately most impressive about him. In short, I want more of EC's distinctive lyrical voice (well-displayed in the chorus of the outstanding "Toledo," say), and less of him studiously writing to "form."

3. Relatedly - and clearly this is a matter of personal preference - I'm seldom a great enthusiast of narrow writing boxes (i.e., de facto or de jure "concept" albums). PFM and North both restrict themselves to a very narrow range of subject matter - in effect, romantic songs - and I find that too confining. By contrast, TJL is equally rigorous but manages, despite the "letter" conceit, to range over a great variety of topics, scenarios, characters, and landscapes. I prefer my music to open out rather than close in. I recognize that a great many aficionados of popular music take exactly the opposite view, greatly admiring albums that constitute a thematically monochromatic "statement." But it's not my cup of joe.

One thing that doesn't trouble me in the least is the musical setting. I think that "Bacharach" thing sounds great - real ear candy.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
cwr

Post by cwr »

All good points!

I can certainly understand the aversion to Costello's "oversinging." I don't mind it at all, but I've been around enough people who dislike it to realize that to some people that vibrato is like nails on a chalkboard.

Likewise, it's interesting to note how varied The Juliet Letters was compared to PFM or North. They're all sort of thematic or concept albums but the box does seem to shrink a little with each one, doesn't it? PFM is not as varied as TJL but it's much more varied than NORTH!

My problems with the Bacharach production is actually limited to a handful of touches-- the guitar solo in "This House Is Empty Now" has always really bugged me, and I never warmed to the sound of "The Long Division." I also think if Costello had still been doing multi-tracked self-harmonies at this point it might have tempered the oversinging ever so slightly...
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

Poor Deportee wrote:3. Relatedly - and clearly this is a matter of personal preference - I'm seldom a great enthusiast of narrow writing boxes (i.e., de facto or de jure "concept" albums). PFM and North both restrict themselves to a very narrow range of subject matter - in effect, romantic songs - and I find that too confining. By contrast, TJL is equally rigorous but manages, despite the "letter" conceit, to range over a great variety of topics, scenarios, characters, and landscapes. I prefer my music to open out rather than close in. I recognize that a great many aficionados of popular music take exactly the opposite view, greatly admiring albums that constitute a thematically monochromatic "statement." But it's not my cup of joe.
Both types of record have their place, I think--I wouldn't want everything to be "thematically monochromatic," as you say, but I wouldn't want everything to be an eclectic pastiche of concepts, either. Nothing would ever get explored below surface level; the best any artist would ever do is "touch on" any given subject, rather than really get a chance to explore the nooks and crevices of it and see what, if anything, they can find in it. I would say one of the main things I love about this record (and "North" even more so) is how precise EC manages to be in looking at each particular aesthetic of writing from slightly different angles from one song to the next, such that when you put them all together you get a fleshed out understanding of what his vision of it looks like. I think there's as much room for this type of album as there is for a record like "National Ransom," where you just kind of put it all in a blender and see what colors come splattering out.

One thing about the narrow aesthetic (maybe more musically speaking than lyrically) is that it really does require the songs to do the talking, as the listener is unable to defer to some kind of stylistic "standout"--the recordings, by virtue of being fundamentally similar to each other, have to sink or swim on their own merits as compositions and performances.
KD's music blog
KD's book
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Kevin Davis wrote:
Poor Deportee wrote:3. Relatedly - and clearly this is a matter of personal preference - I'm seldom a great enthusiast of narrow writing boxes (i.e., de facto or de jure "concept" albums). PFM and North both restrict themselves to a very narrow range of subject matter - in effect, romantic songs - and I find that too confining. By contrast, TJL is equally rigorous but manages, despite the "letter" conceit, to range over a great variety of topics, scenarios, characters, and landscapes. I prefer my music to open out rather than close in. I recognize that a great many aficionados of popular music take exactly the opposite view, greatly admiring albums that constitute a thematically monochromatic "statement." But it's not my cup of joe.
Both types of record have their place, I think--I wouldn't want everything to be "thematically monochromatic," as you say, but I wouldn't want everything to be an eclectic pastiche of concepts, either. Nothing would ever get explored below surface level; the best any artist would ever do is "touch on" any given subject, rather than really get a chance to explore the nooks and crevices of it and see what, if anything, they can find in it. I would say one of the main things I love about this record (and "North" even more so) is how precise EC manages to be in looking at each particular aesthetic of writing from slightly different angles from one song to the next, such that when you put them all together you get a fleshed out understanding of what his vision of it looks like. I think there's as much room for this type of album as there is for a record like "National Ransom," where you just kind of put it all in a blender and see what colors come splattering out.

One thing about the narrow aesthetic (maybe more musically speaking than lyrically) is that it really does require the songs to do the talking, as the listener is unable to defer to some kind of stylistic "standout"--the recordings, by virtue of being fundamentally similar to each other, have to sink or swim on their own merits as compositions and performances.
Great post, with many great points! Your observation about a "narrow aesthetic" musically rather than lyrically really hits home to me personally. For whatever reason, lyrical narrowness leaves me much colder a constrained musical palette...I just seem to want lyrics that move around a bit.

And absolutely - I would never say that "narrow" albums have no place. Heck, one of my favourite albums of the last couple of years was PJ Harvey's Let England Shake, a record with a distinctive (albeit not especially narrow) sonic palette and a clear set of themes concerning war as a constant thread in English history. (Of course, her lyrics have tremendous sweep across time and place on that record, and also veer from the personal to the more general with some constancy, so perhaps it's these dynamics that keep me roped in rather than suffocated). So yes, we need both types of records...it's more about where your preference lies. I've noticed over the years that a lot of listeners and not a few critics really lean toward the "narrow" album over the more wide-ranging as a priori Weightier and More Significant.
CJP52

Post by CJP52 »

Am loving these contributions and am looking forward to the album.
Me, I loved PFM and have given copies to various friends. It's still one I play and still find depth to the songs with weren't apparent on first listening.
My contribution to this 40 day countdown?--I've uploaded various movies to youtube including my copy of Elvis' performance of She. Although an 'easy listening' song, it is tremendous when Elvis sings it live.

She on ToTP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxG1nkr0 ... e=youtu.be

I'm gradually putting my 'stuff' out there -See MrCjp52 on youtube

Cheers--The dentist beckons
Last edited by CJP52 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Oh boy this one[and tomorrow's horror] separates the fans. I have always been a 'fan' of this one and quite regularly pull it off the shelf for a spin. I am most appreciative when Mr. Costello lets me peer into his musical back closet as he plays around. He has a knack for picking back catalog material from a good artist and bringing it to light in some interesting ways- for instance on this record when Mssr Anderrson places that accordion part in "Like An Angel Passing Through My Room". I also think Ms von Otter does a superb job putting forth material like "Don't Talk" or "Baby, Plays Around"- "Green Song" is a fine example of why this record continues to hold my attention. Their voices musically dance around one another in perfect harmony. "No Wonder" is a strong EC composition and "For the Stars" has always struck me as a fine pop synthesis of a favorite Auden theme of 'love and time'. There is a Schubertian quality to this record- it is being played in my drawing room-and its pleasures are small and intimate in scope. Another testament for me is the fact that my wife, whose ear is much finer than mine- enjoys this record. She is also not a big EC fan.

"Are You There?"

Each lover has some theory of his own
About the difference between the ache
Of being with his love, and being alone:

Why what, when dreaming, is dear flesh and bone
That really stirs the senses, when awake,
Appears a simulacrum of his own.

Narcissus disbelieves in the unknown;
He cannot join his image in the lake
So long as he assumes he is alone.

The child, the waterfall, the fire, the stone,
Are always up to mischief, though, and take
The universe for granted as their own.

The elderly, like Proust, are always prone
To think of love as a subjective fake;
The more they love, the more they feel alone.

Whatever view we hold, it must be shown
Why every lover has a wish to make
Some kind of otherness his own:
Perhaps, in fact, we never are alone.

W H Auden 1939

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wl0P2Tf8e8

For The Stars

For The Stars
The stars were so much brighter then,
They dim and die,
So why pretend
The sky goes on forever:
But if they fade as science teaches,
Poets lose the power of speech.
Waste paper, ink and feather.
If I'd taken up the trumpet
As I should have done,
Then I wouldn't be
Always losing sleep,
While I'm trying to make this rhyme.
For the stars
Were so much,
They were so much brighter then.
If I couldn't put a price on your head,
What's the use of me trying
For the stars?
The morning comes, the days are
Just the time between
Until the dusk,
When we can be together,
If I'd taken up the drums
And I could play in time,
If I had the power,
Would I be wond'ring how,
I'm ever going to write this down.
For the stars
Were so much,
They were so much brighter then.
If I couldn't put a price on your head,
Then what's the use of me trying
For the stars?

Declan McManus

Listening to the recently composed "Sparkling Day" brought me to these two earlier, and stronger in my opinion, efforts to come to terms with the ephemeral quality of love; how exceedingly difficult it is to pin it down and to give a voice to that affection. Auden is supreme at this. His lyrics thrive from the notion of time's erosion on our lives and loves, of the widening gap that can occur over time with absence and memory. That human ache is never more evident than in the cited lyric above.

Not saying that EC has Wystan's lyrical talent, but he more often than not for my ears comes damn close as in this song from his collaboration with Anne Sofie Von Otter roughly a decade ago. I have always appreciated the fact that he catches Auden's tone in this lyric when he knowingly admits that he doubts he can adequately catch and retain the memory of his lover 'while I'm trying to make this rhyme'. He cannot fix in time her aspects, they will fade physically and figuratively, just as natural forces like stars, once 'brighter then', will 'dim and die'. If poets can 'lose the power of speech' what is the use? Far better to be a practical person- working musician- than a spinner of lyrics which are by their nature ephemeral, mercurial tributes.

As Auden says in another lyric-"Time and fevers burn away, Individual beauty from, Thoughtful children'-EC knows this in his song. It is a powerful song about trying to preserve; it is what Auden tries to do as well in his poem. What I love in EC's lyric is that same vital urge to remember; the urgent need to deter time's erosion. It is also why I find this song far more engaging than his newest effort. It also helps that this one does not have mawkish, swelling strings.
Last edited by Jack of All Parades on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Haven't listened to this enough to form a cogent judgement - but kudos to Connor for another lively and insightful write-up!
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

Count me among those who find Von Otter's voice to be a little stiff for the material--it's been a while since I've listened to the record, but I always felt like she seemed incapable of really getting inside the song, of really inhabiting what was going on with the melody, the lyric, etc. Great singer, not much of an interpreter. One of the few officially sanctioned EC products I never get the urge to hear.
KD's music blog
KD's book
grantprobst

Post by grantprobst »

Von Otter... yeah, something about that lady really bugs me.
I can see from a technical standpoint how people could claim she has a good voice,
But good god, there is no soul behind the surface of that girl!

By far, "For The Stars" is my least favorite project that Elvis has ever worked on.
Otis Westinghouse

I watched the South Bank Show docu about the making of FTS, and have it on a VHS somewhere. Can't find it on YouTube (I thought everything was on YouTube?), and remarkably Connor doesn't link to it, but it was enough to make me feel I didn't need to be completist. This was before the internet made me into one, but actually it was years before I got it. I was always a bit worried I was going to hate it, and in truth I've barely played it. Listening to it now, I'm not sure it's quite as awful as I'd feared. I agree with some of the views above - a purely classical singer like this makes songs sound like a technical exercise, and no, it doesn't blend well with Elvis's (and what on earth is he doing with the backing vocals on You Still Believe In Me? - sounds like a genuine mistake). Agree that Green Song is worth a few listens. It's hard to feel she adds much to great songs like For No One, April After All, I Want To Vanish, The House Is Empty Now or Don't Talk. I'll just stick with the originals thanks.

BTW, I've just noticed that the (c) note for April After All says 1977 - haha, Ron was only 13 then!

I guess Elvis was keen to push the sense of himself as music's renaissance man. Brodskys, Burt, Von Otter, and on DG too. Real classical kudos. Bring on Il Sogno. But imagine, though, that Elvis had found himself in conversation with a different Scandivanian songstress and this had been Björk Meets Elvis Costello - how fabulous would that have sounded?

On the live front, several of these songs only got one outing:
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 6_New_York

There's a link in the above to Mediafire FLAC files, so easy enough to check it out. Before I do, any comments? Maybe some of the performances improve on the album? Includes a version of Kurt Weill's Speak Low. Other than this, there were only a few TV performances, e.g. the title track on Letterman (which makes me think it may not be worth the effort of downloading the above!):
Otis Westinghouse

Jack of All Parades wrote:and tomorrow's horror
WIWC a horror? Insane! TJL over WIWC? Bonkeroonie! Bring on the comments, and I'll look forward to defending some of Costello's finest 21st century moments...
Otis Westinghouse

CJP52 wrote:I'm gradually putting my 'stuff' out there -See MrCjp52 on youtube

Cheers--The dentist beckons
Hope it wasn't too painful. Welcome on Board and many thanks for the channel. Several gems there I saw at the time. Many were consigned to good ol' tape and archived, and a few I missed. Elvis on the Kumars was fun!

One additional YouTube moment. Anne Sofie as she was meant to be heard, from the previous year to PFS:

Just look at the comments beneath the clip!
cwr

Post by cwr »

I can't remember if I ever saw that South Bank Show-- I was no longer living in the UK when For The Stars came out, so the only way I'd have seen it was via the Internet-- but I certainly would've linked to it if I had been able to find it online!

I'd defend "No Wonder" and the title track mightily, I think they are both swell. Then there are a handful that I like ("Green Song") and quite a few that I'm fairly ambivalent about. Then there are some, like "Take It With Me" that just feel weird. I'm sure there might be a few Tom Waits songs that she would sound right singing, but for some reason that one doesn't seem to be one of them.

I am still baffled that he wrote "Three Distracted Women" for her and didn't bother to record it when he had her in a studio, recording songs. Even if it wasn't to be included on FTS, surely he'd want to get that one down for posterity more than he'd want to hear her sing two songs from Pet Sounds, right?
Otis Westinghouse

Absolutely. So no live recording, demo or anything exists of that one? Take It With Me is absurd!

Can I just add a request: your excellent daily posts are a great archive of comments on and links to Elvis's body of work. I've got day-one saved as a favourite and I can click through the days, or scroll on this thread, but it would be a great repository to have all 40 days listed and linking from one page. Any chance you could do this as a final gesture at the end of the 40 days? Would be v grateful. Thanks
cwr

Post by cwr »

Yes, I will do a final wrap-up post on Day 40 (after I do a proper "Day 40" post) which will be where all the days can be linked to, and that will be the final, permanent link for the whole thing.

For now, I've been updating the links on the original announcement post so you can link to them from there, for convenience:
http://connorratliff.tumblr.com/post/57 ... to-wise-up