Radio Silence

Pretty self-explanatory
when i was cruel

Radio Silence

Post by when i was cruel »

I am curious to see what others think of it I think it is the most beautiful song on the album not only instrument wise but the lyrics are amazing. How Elvis can write this is unreal, a song about a man who hijacks a radio station to speak and he just can't because his presence there is simply enough to speak, furthermore the last line "It's hard to tell the difference between a king and a jack, and a poet and a hack" are beautiful.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
Neil.

Re: Radio Silence

Post by Neil. »

Beautiful metaphor for something a bit more grumpy (some of it is Elvis's dig at his lack of radio airplay)! But I must give it another listen - haven't heard it for years.
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

A favorite of mine, as well...but the bass line is so deep my speakers pop.

This song harkens back to Radio Radio, "such a lot of fools trying to anethetize the way that you feel".

Elvis never could really conform enough to make it on pop radio. The corporate control is complete, "you either shut up or get cut out".

Now the red on-air light shines on something cheaper that passes for free speech. All the shock jocks with their gutter subject material bather on constantly, and the poitical loudmouths rail on with their chopped, pressed, and formed opinions.

Any real dissent, however, is bullied off. Gangsters and world leaders need the same protection from attack. You can't say it on the radio, even in the "free world".

As for the music that is promoted, any tune that gets stuck in your brain after a couple of listens is heralded as the next coming of pure art. Anything that is a little more complex, or for Earth's sake actually says something, is at best ignored and at worst, ridiculed. It's hard to tell who is actually a king and who is actually just a jack when the corporate jocks are calling the shots.

It's a terrible waste of a wonderful invention. Elvis doesn't need to be a part of it.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Never cared for this one myself. It's got a good (if slightly self-indulgent, not so say self-important) lyric, but completely lacks a cohesive or persuasive melody. In this respect it's of a piece with some of Elvis's other post-Spike compositions, such as 'Invasion Hit Parade.' An appropriate closer for a record that conspicuously lacks much creative inspiration.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Poor Deportee writes
Never cared for this one myself. It's got a good (if slightly self-indulgent, not so say self-important) lyric, but completely lacks a cohesive or persuasive melody. In this respect it's of a piece with some of Elvis's other post-Spike compositions, such as 'Invasion Hit Parade.' An appropriate closer for a record that conspicuously lacks much creative inspiration.
I'm with you here, PD. It seems an awful way to end WIWC and re-treads a lot of sentiments that were much more concisely and more vitriolically expressed in Radio Radio. I think the lyrics of Episode Of Blonde or WIWC No. 2 both deserve much higher praise and acknowledgement of our man's finer talents than this dirge ! No sitting on the fence for this one from me, I'm afraid ! :oops:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I thought it was quite a simple hostage song and I certainly haven't read much more into it.

I like the song and the final words close it well in my extremely humble opinion.

I like the drug dealers line and the "another humdrum conundrum" phrase.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I'm not on the fence either. This is a favorite of mine. It's come up twice on the iPod the last week or so and I was enthralled by it, hadn't heard it in a long time.

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

song is a CLASSIC! never mind how it got roped into the famous BRUCE ELVIS RADIO RADIO NOWHERE mash-up; how about the spacey ten minute jam version played somewhere in Europe i forget right now??? AWESOME!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

anyone know the recording i mean here??? was it a MELTDOWN show? or with FRISSELL? :?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i think you're right ANCT! anyone who does NOT think they like the song; LISTEN TO THIS TAKE!!! once again, eternal thanks to ANCT, my kinda stats guy!
blureu

Post by blureu »

Would love to hear the show and this entire show. Can anyone share it please?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

if it is indeed the show i have IN HOUSE, i sure will do a mailout as soon as it comes to light. i'm usually well organized, so i "think" i know where it is! HOPE ITS LABELLED....i can't recall artwork for the show and see none on ANCT link above to wiki for this nights setlist. this is why we must thank our ARTWORK CHAMPION>>>COLIN B!!!!!! :) :) :)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

well what do you know...the artwork magically just appeared. and YES, i do have it with this artwork, so it is the show i refer to initially: fantastic RADIO SILENCE! this artwork is a beauty. not you Mr. Blue???