Videos Of Elvis With Joan Rivers 1984 - "Must See TV"

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

Videos Of Elvis With Joan Rivers 1984 - "Must See TV"

Post by docinwestchester »

I recently got these from Demonoid. All new to me and 2 of 3 new to YouTube. Quite a lively interview complete with a devil puppet and a sweet little barb at Prince, along with a nice version of the yet-to-be-released I Hope You're Happy Now and solo electric Peace In Our Time. He changes the lyric to "there's already one spaceman in the White House, what do you want the same one again for?" which makes so much more sense to me than the original lyric. This was less than 2 months before Reagan was re-elected in a landslide against poor Walter Mondale and Gerry Ferraro. Reagan carried 49 of the 50 states.

But I digress...

I Hope You're Happy Now
Interview With Joan Rivers
Peace In Our Time
macguffinman

Re: Videos Of Elvis With Joan Rivers 1984 - "Must See TV"

Post by macguffinman »

Of course, when Peace In Our Time was written, John Glenn was running for the Democratic nomination. So the original lyric made sense, but it also had a built-in expiration date, which unfortunately passed before GCW even came out. One of several unfortunate things about that album.
docinwestchester

macguffinman wrote:Of course, when Peace In Our Time was written, John Glenn was running for the Democratic nomination. So the original lyric made sense, but it also had a built-in expiration date, which unfortunately passed before GCW even came out. One of several unfortunate things about that album.
The original lyric was really aimed at Reagan, but at John Glenn's expense. To me, it read like a criticism of both candidates, but I don't think he meant to comment on the legitimacy of Glenn's candidacy.

(do I make any sense?)
macguffinman

Post by macguffinman »

docinwestchester wrote:The original lyric was really aimed at Reagan, but at John Glenn's expense. To me, it read like a criticism of both candidates, but I don't think he meant to comment on the legitimacy of Glenn's candidacy.

(do I make any sense?)
You sure do. I think you're right, and I think it's a problem with the lyric, which also has the feel to me of a cheap shot punchline flown into a serious song. First time I heard it was at an April '84 solo show, and it was a great applause line in the moment...but it didn't hold up later, I didn't think, and the way he changed it on the Tonight Show was still worse.
docinwestchester

macguffinman wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:The original lyric was really aimed at Reagan, but at John Glenn's expense. To me, it read like a criticism of both candidates, but I don't think he meant to comment on the legitimacy of Glenn's candidacy.

(do I make any sense?)
You sure do. I think you're right, and I think it's a problem with the lyric, which also has the feel to me of a cheap shot punchline flown into a serious song. First time I heard it was at an April '84 solo show, and it was a great applause line in the moment...but it didn't hold up later, I didn't think, and the way he changed it on the Tonight Show was still worse.
I was at Stony Brook in April '84 - my first bootleg!
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Jesus Christ. Tom Hanks and the Attractions.
krm

Post by krm »

Thanks for uploading doc! I could not find this clip some time ago when I was compiling a top5 EC moments on TV. Now I can finish it of!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Good ol' Doc.

I notice that at the start of "Peace In Our Time" he plays the intro to "Withered And Died". Was this standard for him?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks Doc - its great to finally see this much mentioned appearance. A few highlights - that final head-bobbing spit out of the words ' I HOPE your happy now ' and the how cool is that Elvis plays the riff from Richard Thompson's Withered And Died all the way through 'Peace.

And , of course, I have to be a picky git and comment that , I think, Grace Jones didn't whacked Russell Harty with a clipboard , just her fists -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpWo15Jc2JQ
scamp

Post by scamp »

Out of all the stuff Doc has shared, I'm surprised I had something he didn't have. I thought most of this was on youtube already so I didn't bother putting it up. When I traded for it, the person said it was pretty low quality but I didn't care cause it had some early stuff and I didn't have much cause I just started collecting.

*The Hope and Anchor boot I shared on Demonoid, I removed cause I listened to it again and was still unhappy with the sound. The fixed version is in the live reference for anyone interested since I noticed the recent BBC rebroadcast only played partial.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

could someone reseed this Demonoid torrent (Late Night Vol 3)? It claims there are 3 seeders but I think there really aren't any. Demonoid is always so problematic for me
docinwestchester

SoulForHire wrote:could someone reseed this Demonoid torrent (Late Night Vol 3)? It claims there are 3 seeders but I think there really aren't any. Demonoid is always so problematic for me
I'm seeding as of now.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Thanks Doc!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

RIP Joan Rivers. Here's a working YouTube link.