Elvis (solo), Antwerp (Belgium), Nov. 9, 2011

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis (solo), Antwerp (Belgium), Nov. 9, 2011

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/1010/Muzie ... zaal.dhtml

Elvis Costello op 9 november in Elisabethzaal
17/03/11, 11u41

Het zal dit najaar in de Antwerpse Koningin Elisabethzaal 22 jaar geleden zijn dat Elvis Costello nog eens solo in ons land optrad. De voorbije jaren trad hij in ons land op met The Sugarcanes, Allen Toussaint Band, Steve Nieve, The Imposters en zelfs The Attractions. De laatste solo-optredens dateren van 1 en 2 juli 1989 toen hij in zijn dooie eentje de weides van Torhout en Werchter muisstil kreeg.

In mei haalt Costello tijdens de Amerikaanse 'Revolver Tour' voor het eerst in 25 jaar nog eens 'The Spectacular Spinning Songbook' boven. Het publiek mag tijdens de show aan een rad (The Wheel) met titels van hits, b-kantjes en covers draaien en zo de setlist van de avond bepalen.

Het is nog niet helemaal duidelijk of hij tijdens de Europese solo-tournee zijn Wheel zal meebrengen, maar een concert van Costello, dat kan niet stuk.

Tickets kosten 34, 39, 44 en 50 euro. Je kan ze reserveren via http://www.teleticketservice.com, op telefoonnummer 0900 00 31 of kopen in de Fnac-winkels. Wees er maar snel bij. (lb)
Last edited by sweetest punch on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis (solo), Belgium, Nov. 9, 2011

Post by Man out of Time »

The above in (near) English via GoogleTranslate:
It will be 22 years ago this autumn since Elvis Costello performed a solo in our country in the Queen Elizabeth Hall Antwerp. In recent years he entered our country with The Sugar Canes, Allen Toussaint Band, Steve Nieve, The Imposter, and even The Attractions. The last solo performance was on July 2, 1989 when he was in his own dead meadows of Torhout and Werchter was silent.

Costello plays further US cities in May during the U.S. "Revolver Tour using 'The Spectacular Spinning Songbook' above for the first time in 25 years,. The public may, spin the wheel with titles of hits, B-sides and covers, during the show to determine the setlist of the evening .

It is still unclear whether he will bring the Wheel during his European solo tour , but a concert by Costello, which can not miss.

Tickets cost 34, 39, 44 and 50. You can book through them http://www.teleticketservice.com on 0900 00 31 or buy the Fnac stores. Make it quick.
MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

This is a strange tour in that it's Holland on 8th, Belgium on 9th and Holland again on 10th.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

verbal gymnastics wrote:This is a strange tour in that it's Holland on 8th, Belgium on 9th and Holland again on 10th.
I agree, I don't understand it either - it's all double Dutch to me.

:lol:

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Was that a MOOT point? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I think this is a competition to win tickets for this show -

http://www.standaard.be/wedstrijden/det ... rijd=13577
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Paul posts to Costello-l on Facebook -

Yes, it points that it's a solo Elvis show and that it is the first time he has played Belgium solo since 1989 - more recent appearances have been with either the Attractions, Imposters or Sugarcanes.

To win you have to say how many albums Elvis has made - there are three choices. 10 pairs of tickets to be won
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

It also says the competition runs from 14 until 20 octobre. :)
We have to be patient for a while.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

It seems that Larkin Poe is added as a support act: http://www.zalenvandezoo.be/?page=event ... 1&m=11&d=9
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis (solo), Antwerp (Belgium), Nov. 9, 2011

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?
frank

Post by frank »

Yes, I'm going!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Whats the news Frank?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist:
01. Oliver's Army
02. Either Side Of The Same Town
03. Veronica
04. A Good Year For The Roses
05. New Amsterdam / Hide Your Love Away
06. Bullets For The New Born King
07. Everyday I Write The Book
08. Bedlam
09. All Or Nothing At All
10. She
11. A Slow Drag With Josephine
12. Jimmy Standing In The Rain
13. A Voice In The Dark
14. A Crooked Line (with Larkin Poe)
15. Love Field (with Larkin Poe)
16. Red Shoes (with Larkin Poe)
17. Brilliant Mistake (with Larkin Poe)
Encore 1:
18. Don't Bother Me/ It Don't Bother Me
19. Distorded Angel
20. After The Fall
21. Watching The Detectives
22. Alison / I Hope
Encore 2:
23. National Ransom #5
24. Shipbuilding
25. I Want You
26. Chelsea (with Larkin Poe)
27. Blame It On Caine (with Larkin Poe)
28. The Scarlet Tide (with Larkin poe)

Great show, with many highlights: Love Field, Josephine, A Voice In The Dark, All Or Nothing At All, I Hope, Distorded Angel, After The Fall, The Scarlet Tide, ...!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Nice to see Distorted Angel in the setlist. Let's hope a clip will crop up.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.standaard.be/artikel/detail. ... 111110_057

Google translation -

With Elvis Costello is one bit as with Tom Waits: he turns already meanwhile with that it appears as if he it always is been, he has it normally not in self a bad song to write, already surprise its most recent cd’s not really more.,.

Want that say that he irrelevant became? Bijlange not, Costello is a rock in the surf, and that can we use in these uncertain times. A rasmuzikant, as he Wednesday evening with a solo concert in the Elisabethzaal in Antwerp yet but once came proofs.

He began nonetheless with a false start, be largest, or better only hated 'Oliver’s Army'. Costello’s always what grieperige do not vote had been warmed up want to force not yet, and that song self so easy in an acoustic straitjacket. That pale gradually often the case with its most known popdeuntjes from the years eighty: 'Veronica' know also not real to convince, 'Everyday I write the book' already neither. He rams by that numbers little subtle on its acoustic guitar, with that its zelfgekozen nickname 'the little hands or concrete' all sooner seeming.

But that made he the first hour amply good with an impressive row of its best countryballads, by which he self clear better in its skin felt, and with which he proved that he can strum as the best. 'Either Side or The Same Town' was all tremendous, sounded 'Good Year for The Tear along' really heartrendingly. Goose bumps till on the back rows of the balcony.

And then had to come the best yet, are underestimated with the songs out newest plate National Ransom. 'Slow Carry was a power turn With Josephine' (he brought it partly without microphone and guitar reinforcement, you could a want to hear fall in the hall), 'Jimmie Standing in the Rain' was yet better, and 'Bullets for the New-King' Roared was at the same time the high point of the evening.

On the end of the first hour, support acts Larkin Poe, a countryfolkensemble from Georgia, US, a hand might come extend. That worked stuck out forget by it what 'Praise Field', on plate (Goodbye Cruel World) a what zeurderig lounge song, here transformed in a sultry torchsong. It worked a little less good by the hasty exhausted 'Brilliant Mistake', and it worked not totally by '(The Hooks wanna wear my) Reason Shoes', that all punky vinnigheid of the orinigeel lost in the country treatment.

But what it, that will was Yard again only, with a new waslijst of its loveliest songs. He connected among many its walsje 'New Amsterdam' at that walsje of The Beatles, 'You poured to hide your praise away'. 'New Amsterdam' came there as the better song out, put you that yet once for.

Costello played almost two half hour, went yet a single time the mist in then he the fight with its battery effects pedals lost in 'Watching The Detectives', but the high points were so, well high, that nobody had in that very. He best with among many an inclined run 'Chelsea', again together with Larkin Poe, and ditch off with an uncommon intensely 'I for you', by which he are old Fender Jazzmaster so maltreated that the thing almost squeaking and creaky the mind gave.

Fantastic concert. He who with it was not by, can see Costello on 17 November yet at the work in the Royal Circus in Brussels once
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Larkin Poe video with a bit of "The Scarlet Tide":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROMp-iND93Y
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/1011/Conce ... zaal.dhtml

Slideshow-

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/8072/muzie ... nhee.dhtml

Google translation -

Halfway its already months uitverkochte concert in the Elisabethzaal Elvis Costello a confession does. "The number that I now will play hate I écht", says he. What is follows a blood top version of 'Everyday I Write The Book', an of largest provoke out its career. It was but one of the many high points from the solo concert that him last night to Antwerp brought. Your criticism (5/5)

Number of criticisms: 1 Give your criticism Costello Solo. That was, in Belgium, about that, all of 1989 ago. When played he in be a the whole poster of Torhout-Werchter to house with an acoustic set that with everybody that it then by was on the retina stands burnt.

The action is Antwerp was complete otherwise, but almost just magic. That has naturally everything to make with the fact that Costello not only a masterly songschrijver is, but also a bevlogen performer. And in such a way stood he solo on the stage, yet suggested the arsenal instruments on the stage that it each moment a real tie from the wings wanted to walk. That happened also, for Larkin Poe, that on invitation of the singer the furrow program had looked after, dubbelde during a few numbers as accompaniments tie for our promised entertainer. The honesties offered me to say that that not at the same time the best passages were. The two singers of this American bluegrassband fit que stemtimbre not écht by Costello, but the game plezier - and along the side of the public: the feeling that you somewhat uniquely experienced - compensated many.

But the best he was Costello stood naturally as all alone on the stage and browsed seeming casually through its impressive repertoire. He scattered with provoke as a chickens farmer with corn granule. The set began strongly with 'Oliver's Army', and in a mum of time, he had Tear along' also 'Good Year For The and written given up the together with Paul McCartney 'Veronica'. Notably besides how Costello songs that he already thousand times live had exported really with an exceptional inlevingsvermorgen wanted to interpret. Not all that, but in the bargain knew he in 'Alison' and the scorching 'I For You' also yet perspectives nudity to lay that till yet closed untouched had been remained. No small wage.

Furthermore depth Costello - according to the inspiration of the moment - also what covers on. The Beatles ('You' ve Poured To Hide Your Praise Away'!) Charles Aznavour (it on applause entertained 'She'), the recently passed away Bert Jansch ('It Don' t Bother Me' ),.. all interpreted they guest rolls in an eclectic set that surprise remained. Also when Costello sudden behind the piano wanted to sit pinched for a blood top version of 'Shipbuilding', or an at Sonic Youth reminding noise-version of 'Watching The Detectives' from the strings, stood your time on turn perplexed of so much versatility.

The bisrondes, good for a ten extra, bulged remember from with yet more well - we a raw, through a megafoon sung version of 'National Ransom' that best of Tom Waits to the crown suspend' and it as ultimate uitsmijter served 'A Voice In The Dark'. A voice in the darkness, indeed. But wát for one. On be fifty-seventh remains Elvis Costello - still with that black horns wear glass and that eternal scatter hat - a category separate. And what better is not shows draw: he slightest of wear.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Any clips of Chelsea w/ Larkin Poe? That sounds like an interesting rendition.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

'After the Fall' again! Fabulous.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:Any clips of Chelsea w/ Larkin Poe?
Here's one from Groningen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6IyXZ-5d9A#t=6m40s
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://focus.knack.be/entertainment/muz ... 995602.htm

Elvis Costello @ Koningin Elisabethzaal

Op zijn 57ste heeft Elvis Costello niets meer te bewijzen. Hij is één van de belangrijkste songschrijvers van de jongste dertig jaar en weet in iedere muzikale context te boeien. In Antwerpen, waar hij solo aantrad, hield hij de toeschouwers ruim twee uur lang op het puntje van hun stoel.

DA GIG: Elvis Costello solo (met tussenkomsten van Larkin Poe) in Koningin Elisabethzaal, Antwerpen op 9/11.
IN EEN ZIN: Voor zoveel klasse mag één woord volstaan: briljant.
HOOGTEPUNTEN: ‘Everyday I Write the Book’, ‘All or Nothing at All’, ‘It Don’t Bother Me’, ‘Watching the Detectives’, ‘Alison’, ‘National Ransom’, ‘I Want You’...
DIEPTEPUNTEN: geen.
BESTE QUOTE (over ‘Veronica’): “The next song I wrote with Paul McCartney. (monkelend) I like the way that sounds.”

Costello is een perfecte kameleon. In het begin van zijn lange carrière speelde hij vooral snedige new wavepop met Motown-invloeden, maar inmiddels weten we dat de man net zo goed jazz, country en bluesgrass in de vingers heeft en zelfs in klassieke middens moeiteloos overeind blijft. Hij werkte samen met levende legendes als Burt Bacharach, Allen Toussaint en Bill Frisell en we zouden al zéér diep moeten graven om tussen de 32 langspelers die hij tot dusver op zijn palmares heeft staan een echte sof te vinden. Bovendien is Elvis Costello een rasentertainer die, zelfs wanneer hij in zijn eentje op het podium staat, geen moment verveelt. Tijdens zijn uitverkochte concert in de Elisabethzaal prijkten niet minder dan 30 songs op zijn setlist, maar daarvan was geen enkele overbodig. Integendeel: de zanger hield het, met zijn onvoorspelbare liedjeskeuze, altijd spannend. Hoewel hij het publiek regelmatig op klassiekers trakteerde, viste hij ook vergeten parels uit zijn repertoire op. Tussendoor debiteerde ‘God’s Comic’ allerlei geestigheden en coverde hij werk van onder anderen The Beatles en Charles Aznavour.

Al tijdens het eerste half uur bewees Elvis Costello dat zijn gitaarspel rijk en dynamisch genoeg was om bruisende popnummers als ‘Oliver’s Army’, ‘Everyday I Write the Book’ of ‘Veronica’ fris te houden. In het laatstgenoemde etaleerde hij de aanslag van een heuse flamencomuzikant, terwijl hij in ‘Bedlam’, als een superieure busker, met rootsy riffs goochelde. De van Chet Baker en Frank Sinatra bekende jazzstandard ‘All or Nothing At All’ vertolkte hij als een verstilde bossanova, in ‘Jimmie Standing in the Rain’ riep hij de geest van Django Reinhardt op en ‘A Slow Drag With Josephine’ kondigde hij aan als "rock-’n-roll zoals die klonk in... 1912.”

Costello zong wel méér liedjes die uit een lang vervlogen tijdperk leken te stammen, zoals het onversterkt gebrachte ‘A Voice in the Dark’. We moeten toegeven dat we ‘s mans recentste cd, ‘National Ransom', na de release misschien iets te snel opzij hebben geschoven, maar na het afgemeten ‘Bullets for the New-born King’, kregen we wél meteen zin om die plaat te herontdekken. Dat de artiest het begrip ‘solo’ nogal vrij interpreteerde, bleek toen hij zijn support act, het Amerikaanse kwartet Larkin Poe, als begeleidingsgroep deed opdraven om ‘The Crooked Line’, middels een lapsteel en mandoline, van een bluegrasstintje te voorzien en in ‘The Love Field’, ‘Brilliant Mistake’ en het veerkrachtige ‘Red Shoes’ de nodige versieringen aan te brengen.

De twee bisronden duurden ongeveer even lang als het officiële concert en uiteraard zegt dat iets over het plezier waarmee Elvis Costello in de schijnwerpers stond. Tijdens ‘It Don’t Bother Me’, een doorvoelde hommage aan de onlangs overleden Bert Jansch, viel andermaal zijn expressieve snarenspel op en dat was ook het geval bij het grungy, in reverb gedrenkte ‘Watching the Detectives’. Daar tegenover stonden ingetogen, van liefdessmart doordrongen songs als ‘Distorted Angel’, ‘After the Fall’, ‘I Hope’ en een even sober als afgekloven ‘Alison’. Pas tijdens het tweede toegiftensalvo nam de zanger voor het eerst plaats aan de keyboards, voor een dreigende, overstuurde megafoonuitvoering van ‘National Ransom’, compleet met gruizge vioolsamples. Al net zo intens was ‘I Want You’, waarin Costello’s elektrische gitaarspel ronduit psychedelisch klonk. Na het ingetogen ‘Shipbuilding’ mocht Larkin Poe nog eens terugkomen met het oog op de uitsmijters, waaronder een stuiterend ‘Chelsea’ en de ballad ‘The Scarlet Tide’.

Elvis Costello manifesteerde zich in Antwerpen afwisselend als zotskap, crooner, schaamteloze romanticus, ‘sad vaudevillean’, affectief gestoorde neuroot, bijtend maatschappelijk commentator en nog een stuk of wat andere personages, maar ‘The Beloved Entertainer’ wist als geen ander zijn waar overtuigend aan de man te brengen. In één woord: briljant.

Google translation

Elvis Costello @ Queen Elizabeth Hall

On his 57th Elvis Costello has nothing to prove. He is one of the most important songwriters of the last thirty years and knows how to captivate in any musical context. In Antwerp, where he took office solo, he held the audience over two hours long on the edge of their seats.

DA GIG: Elvis Costello solo (with Larkin Poe intervention) in Queen Elizabeth Hall in Antwerp on 9 / 11.
IN A SENTENCE: For many classes, a sufficient word: brilliant.
HIGHLIGHTS: "Everyday I Write the Book," "All or Nothing at All," "It Do not Bother Me," "Watching the Detectives ',' Alison ',' National Ransom," "I Want You" ...
Lows: no.
BEST QUOTE (to Veronica): "The next song I wrote with Paul McCartney. (Monkelend) I like the way That sounds. "

Costello is a perfect chameleon. At the beginning of his long career he played mostly witty new wavepop with Motown influences, but now we know that the man might as well jazz, country and blue grass in the fingers, and even in classical circles effortlessly intact. He worked with legends such as Burt Bacharach, Allen Toussaint and Bill Frisell and we would all have to dig very deep among the 32 long-players he has to his credit thus far are a real find sof. Moreover, an Elvis Costello rasentertainer that, even if he alone on stage, not bored. During his sold-out concert at the Elizabeth Hall adorned no less than 30 songs on his setlist, but it was without any unnecessary. Contrary, the singer kept it, with its unpredictable song choices, always exciting. Although he regaled the audience regularly classics, he also fished forgotten gems from his repertoire. In between debit was "God's Comic" Recovered many witticisms and his work by the Beatles and Charles Aznavour.

During the first half hour Elvis Costello proved that his playing rich and dynamic enough to lively pop songs like "Oliver's Army," "Everyday I Write the Book" or "Veronica" fresh. In the latter, he showcased the touch of a real flamenco musician, while in 'Bedlam', as a superior busker, juggled with rootsy riffs. The Chet Baker and Frank Sinatra famous jazz standard "All or Nothing At All", he played as a tranquil bossa nova in "Jimmie Standing in the Rain," he called the spirit of Django Reinhardt and "A Slow Drag With Josephine," he announced as "rock 'n' roll sounded like in 1912 ...."

Costello sang more songs from a bygone era seemed to tribes, such as unreinforced put "A Voice in the Dark". We must admit that we have the man's latest CD, "National Ransom", after the release may have pushed aside a little too fast, but after the measured "Bullets for the New-born King, we got it right now who want to plate rediscover. The artist the term 'solo' rather free interpreted, was when his support act, the American quartet Larkin Poe, a counseling group did show up to "The Crooked Line" means a lap steel and mandolin, a bluegrass touch to provide in ' The Love Field, "" Brilliant Mistake "and the bouncy" Red Shoes "to make the necessary decorations.

The two bisronden lasted about as long as the official concert and obviously says something about the pleasure Elvis Costello was in the spotlight. During "It Do not Bother Me" was a tribute to the recently deceased Bert Jansch, fell again on his expressive string playing and that was the case with the grungy, drenched in reverb "Watching the Detectives". In contrast, were subdued by sorrow pervaded love songs like "Distorted Angel", "After the Fall," "I Hope" and an equally sober and hackneyed "Alison". Only during the second encore, the singer burst took first place at the keyboards, a menacing, distorted megaphone implementation of National Ransom ', complete with violin gruizge samples. Equally intense was "I Want You," which Costello's guitar playing sounded downright psychedelic. After modest 'Shipbuilding' Larkin Poe could come back with a view to the bouncers, including a bouncing "Chelsea" and the ballad "The Scarlet Tide".

Elvis Costello manifested itself in Antwerp varied as zotskap, crooner, shameless romantic, "sad vaudevillean, emotionally disturbed neurotic, biting social commentator and a piece or some other characters, but" The Beloved Entertainer "knew better than anyone where convincing the man to bring. In a word: brilliant.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Bitchardo's Buddy

Post by Bitchardo's Buddy »

Love Field...I didn't see this in the post and just found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFbjWiof ... re=related