recent DVD purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Treasure of The Sierra Madre (SE)
Wages of Fear (Criterion)
Once Upon A Time In America
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

HMV was having a good sale on DVD's so I picked up two Hitchcock masterworks... Psycho and Vertigo... I'm very happy about this.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

LOTR: The two towers 4disc extra expensive set
X Men 2

both very cool!
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

"LotR:The Two Towers" EE gift set (complete with Gollum statue)
Ozu's "Tokyo Story" (a masterpiece from one of Japan's great directors)
"Looney Tunes Golden Collection" (a collection of early cartoons on 4 discs... and yes, they are pure gold)
"Round Midnight" (Jazz classic featuring a Herbie Hancock score)
"Naqoyqatsi" (the final part of Godfrey Reggio's Qatsi trilogy, made in collaboration with Philip Glass whose soundtrack features Yo Yo Ma on cello)
"Brotherhood Of The Wolf" :Deluxe Edition (French period piece based in the 18th century and featuring a mysterious creature and a Nth American Indian with a penchant for kung-fu)
Miyazaki's "My Neighbour Totoro", "Porco Rosso", and "Nausicaa" (three masterpieces from the greatest animator on the planet)
Zhang Yimou's "Hero" (similar to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, but in some ways better)
Kim Sung-su's "Musa the Warrior" (Korean epic starring Zhang Ziyi from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon)

There were far more purchases made, but these were the most noteworthy.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Round Midnight" (Jazz classic featuring a Herbie Hancock score)
Are Australian dvds region 2? If so, I know where to look for this dvd, I've been wanting to get it for years.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Björk, Later with Jools Holland
Dangerous Beauty
Nobody's Fool
Images

I just ordered, as Xmas presents for myself, a DVD of 60s (and maybe early 70s) performances by the Who on German television,
and Springsteen's DVD from Barcelona with the E Street Band (The Rising tour)

I see that Into the Night has just been released, so that will probably be my next DVD purchase. It's a mess of a John Landis movie, with perhaps Jeff Goldblum's least interesting performance; but it's one of Michelle Pfeiffer's earliest films, maybe her first starring role, and she's always worth seeing. Plus, the cameos by David Bowie and Carl Perkins are worth the price of the disc.
Last edited by HungupStrungup on Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Finding Nemo. and I got a box of Mrs. Fields cookies with it!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

martinfoyle wrote:
Round Midnight" (Jazz classic featuring a Herbie Hancock score)
Are Australian dvds region 2? If so, I know where to look for this dvd, I've been wanting to get it for years.
Australian DVDs are region 4 encoded, although quite often they are region 2 and 4 encoded (probably due to the fact that, apart from Japan, both regions have the PAL format in common).

However, it would appear that Round Midnight is region 4 only... which is why I recommend that anyone planning on getting into DVDs should own a multi-region capable player (inthe case of those in the US, a player like the Malata which also handles PAL to NTSC conversion which does not seemt to be an issue anywhere else on the planet).

Here is a link to a back cover scan at an Australian DVD site.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I see that Into the Night has just been released, so that will probably be my next DVD purchase. It's a mess of a John Landis movie, with perhaps Jeff Goldblum's least interesting performance; but it's one of Michelle Pfeiffer's earliest films, maybe her first starring role, and she's always worth seeing. Plus, the cameos by David Bowie and Carl Perkins are worth the price of the disc
A great review of this film at the time went something like
"This is Hollywood looking at itself in the mirror and taking a great big snort"
Not a bad film as I recall, look forward to seeing it again.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Radiohead 7 Television Commercials. I already knew I wanted this (videos from The Bends and OK Computer). I had it on VHS and wanted it on DVD for a while.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

A Christmas Story. Came with bobblehead Ralphie.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

ditto on finding nemo. no cookies though. and seabisquit.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Just bought the DVD of Almost Famous, though as a gift for my sister. I did buy it through the Amazon link at the top of the site, so maybe this goes in the "how were helping Taz thread."
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

pip_52 wrote:Just bought the DVD of Almost Famous, though as a gift for my sister. I did buy it through the Amazon link at the top of the site, so maybe this goes in the "how were helping Taz thread."
Track down the director's cut, know as Untitled, its far superior.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Indeed
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

ok people. anyone have the concert for george yet? lennon legand?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I ordered Concert For George over amazon, but apparently it's delayed by a week in Canada. Grr. :(
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I went home for the weekend to spend some time with my parents and had a lot of luck shopping in Birmingham with my girlfriend. We scored some great bargains on Xmas gifts and I found some hard to get stuff for myself. One of my favorite films of all time (adapted from one of my fave books of all time by Jim Thompson) is The Killer Inside Me with Stacy Keach, Keenan Wynn and John Carradine. I discovered the movie at a video store in college and rented it all the time but could never find a copy to purchase until now. We stopped in at a great record store called Charlemagne's and lucked into a copy of it on dvd. I didn't even know it was available on dvd!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It was only on loan from blockbuster, but we checked out The Hulk this weekend. My 11 year old was sad to miss it at the cinema (and me with him!), and my 7 year old was keen (it has a 12 rating, but it really doesn't need it). I was impressed, as I thought I would be. I think critics were pretty divided on it, but Ang Lee is a classy film maker and the father/son issues, with a Faustian element thrown in, made it interesting. better than Lou Ferrigno, for sure (though his name, plus that of one of the original Marvel creators of it, appeared in the credits as a security guard, which I missed!).

Only got a DVD player recently, and am pissed off to see Fopp no longer have Stop Making Sense for £7, as they did before. I'm following the sound advice of Hungup and have to get it. Saw the movie some 4 times.

They've issued Bowie's Reality with an extra DVD containing the recent web-broadcast live performance of the whole LP, and also his cover of Waterloo Sunset as a CD bonus. Dang, will I have to buy it for the second time in 2 months. Probably, after Wednesday.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Picked up Concert For George on DVD. This could easily be one of the best concert films ever made.
Otis Westinghouse

Tell us why. I know nothing about it.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

In a word, tribute concerts are definitely hit or miss. But they did it right with this one. Rather than trying to get any old big name they could, they decided to stick with people who were associated with George's life and music. This includes fellow Traveling Wilburys Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty, people who often appeared on George's records, such as Billy Preston, Eric Clapton, Gary Brooker, and Jim Keltner, as well as fellow Beatles Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. It opens with an Indian music section composed by Ravi Shankar and performed by his daughter Anoushka, followed by a partial Monty Python reunion (only John Cleese seemed to be absent, but Neil Innes of The Rutles was there in his place).

The love and spirit that these people felt for George is definitely felt when you watch the film. George's son Dhani plays along on acoustic guitar for most of the songs. As moving as the recent Johnny Cash tribute was, this was a lot more impressive musically. And it's moving, but at the same time isn't over-sentimental. There was no butchering involved whatsoever. Particularly cool to watch are the songs which seem to try to create the wall-of-sound from the All Things Must Pass album, with four drummers, percussionists, eight guitars, two basses, multiple keyboards, and lots of vocals going on at the same time.

Even Jeff Lynne, who I normally find obnoxious does these songs major justice.

The tracklist is as follows:

1. Your Eyes - Anoushka Shankar and Indian musicians
2. The Inner Light - Anoushka Shankar and Indian musicians, plus Jeff Lynne
3. Arpan - Anoushka Shankar and Indian musicians
4. Sit On My Face - Monty Python
5. The Lumberjack Song - Monty Python
6. I Want To Tell You - Jeff Lynne
7. If I Needed Someone - Eric Clapton
8. Old Brown Shoe - Gary Brooker
9. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) - Jeff Lynne
10. Beware Of Darkness - Eric Clapton
11. Here Comes The Sun - Joe Brown
12. That's The Way It Goes - Joe Brown
13. Horse To The Water - Sam Brown
14. Taxman - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
15. I Need You - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
16. Handle With Care - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers w/ Jeff Lynne
17. Isn't It A Pity - Eric Clapton & Billy Preston
18. Photograph - Ringo Starr
19. Honey Don't - Ringo Star
20. For You Blue - Paul McCartney
21. Something - Paul McCartney & Eric Clapton
22. All Things Must Pass - Paul McCartney
23. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Eric Clapton & Paul McCartney
24. My Sweet Lord - Billy Preston (amazing!)
25. Wah Wah - Everyone, Jeff Lynne on vocals
26. I'll See You In My Dreams - Joe Brown
Otis Westinghouse

Wot, no Bowie (or anyone else) doing Try Some, Buy Some?

Thanks for the account.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I was thrilled to find Sergio Leone's epic Once Upon A Time In The West for just eighteen bucks in Knoxville today. As far as I'm concerned, the only two westerns in the same league are Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller and Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch. So many jawdropping set pieces and the acting is way above average for an oater. Charles Bronson was actually better at the Man With No Name role than Clint simply because Chuck came off as one very, very mean guy who considered strangulation to be an act of gentlemanly diplomacy. Henry Fonda & Jason Robards are two of my all time favorites and they both fill their iconic parts with everything you could ever ask for. I love this movie and I'm so glad it's finally out on dvd so that I can jettison my old ass vhs copy.

My girlfriend is a big Jonathan Richman fan so I bought his new live dvd for her. I'm officially a very broke man until my next paycheck, but it was a lot of fun getting broke for once.

Otis, do you like Bowie's cover of Richman's Pablo Picasso on Reality?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

El Vez,

What do you do with The Good The Bad & The Ugly?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare