Hi-Fi shopping

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Hi-Fi shopping

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Music is a huge percentage of my conscious life, and yet I've never bought a decent hi-fi. I've made do with tatty old crap, and in recent years mostly used a beatbox in the kitchen and the iPod and fairly basic dock.

It's annual bonus time on Friday, and despite having to buy a new has boiler, I'm going to get a new system (in addition to a USB turntable, dammit!). It's a tough call - I don't want to spend too much, would be much happier with getting something really decent for a relatively basic price. True audiophiles spend £1,000s on each component, which is all very nice, but not for me.

I'm veering towards separates over a micro hifi, convenient though the latter are, and often have nice features. Richer Sounds, the UK chain, seem to do some good online bundle deals, eg. Cambridge Azur CD player + Amp with Tannoy Mercury F1 speakers for under £400. All get 5 star reviews on the excellent whathifi.com site.

So anyway, anyone care to recommend anything in the way of these three elements they've bought at a not massive price and loved (or conversely been disappointed by!). I want to play my superb 1982 Linn Sondek LP 12 through it, so it's got to be reasonably good!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Hi-Fi shopping

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

If you're in the market for an excellent, single-disc CD player, I love my Marantz...

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/digital- ... 86crx.aspx

An absolute steal.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Hi Otis, have you considered a CD recorder instead of the USB turntable? Sondek -> CD recording -> digital is an alternative to having two turntables and the sound will surely be better.
Where's North from 'ere?
Otis Westinghouse

I like the idea of being able to record direct from the Linn (although it means my beloved 45s can't be imported as the Linn is only 33rpm, bless it), but am struggling to find one that looks the part. Also, I'm pretty sold on the Cambridge Audio system I mentioned (though thanks for the Marantz tip, WSS, that looks really good too). Well, I'll see. All the technicalities get a bit bewildering. One thing I hadn't realised was that I would have to get a Pre-amp as well to run the phono. These can get v expensive, but Cambridge Audio do a well-reviewed one for under £100. Went to Richer Sounds who were got on advice and can get what I want in for next Saturday. Fun to get it in a shop and take it straight home!
Otis Westinghouse

After way too many hours, mostly late at night, looking up different options, looks like this gizmo may be a good option for vinyl --> digital conversion:

http://www.amazon.com/ART-USB-Phono-Plu ... 8FRPEVNOZU

Will probably give this a go.