EC on "A Colbert Christmas" TV special/DVD

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

EC on "A Colbert Christmas" TV special/DVD

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/cc_i ... -xmas.html
Holy moly. I was already excited for the Colbert Christmas special, but these new details are amazing. Jesus is about to have the best birthday ever. Check out the list of musical performances:

• "Another Christmas Song" – Stephen Colbert
• "Have I Got A Present For You" – Toby Keith
• "Little Dealer Boy" – Stephen Colbert and Willie Nelson
• "Hannukah" – Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart
• "Nutmeg" – Stephen Colbert and John Legend
• "Please Be Patient" – Feist
• "There Are Much Worse Things to Believe In" – Stephen Colbert and Elvis Costello
• "(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love And Understanding" – Stephen Colbert, Elvis Costello, Feist, Toby Keith, John Legend and Willie Nelson

Oh, and all but the last one are original songs composed by Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne. The show premieres Sunday, November 23 at 10pm ET/PT. The DVD will then be released on Tuesday, November 25 and will include such bonus features as a book burning Yule log, video advent calendar and alternate endings. A portion of the DVD's proceeds will go to Feeding America.
BlueChair

Re: EC on "A Colbert Christmas" TV special/DVD

Post by BlueChair »

oh... my.... god.

I love life!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/n ... en-colbert

[...]
In the special, Colbert is on his way to meet with Elvis Costello in New York City but is snowed-in at his cabin in upstate New York (bear country). He weathers through the storm with help from his friends Feist, Toby Keith, John Legend, Willie Nelson, and Jon Stewart.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

I am not familiar with this show but I guess I will be watching it.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Arts, Briefly
A Christmas Special With Stephen Colbert

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/18/arts/ ... ntemail0=y

Compiled by JULIE BLOOM
Published: September 17, 2008
Stephen Colbert will host a Christmas special this year on Comedy Central, the cable channel announced. “A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All!” will be shown Nov. 23 as a one-hour program and will feature musical performances by artists including John Legend, Elvis Costello, Toby Keith, Willie Nelson and Feist. In addition to the professional singers, Jon Stewart the host of “The Daily Show,” is scheduled to sing a duet, titled “Hanukkah,” with Mr. Colbert. David Javerbaum, an executive producer of the “The Daily Show,” and Adam Schlesinger, the bassist for the band Fountains of Wayne, have written songs for the special. A DVD of the show will be released on Nov. 25 and part of the proceeds will go to the charity Feeding America. In other Comedy Central news, Tony Blair, the former British prime minister, is scheduled to appear on “The Daily Show With Jon Stewart” on Thursday.
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Whoa. Not much I can say to follow that picture. 8)
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

always dancing wrote:I am not familiar with this show but I guess I will be watching it.
You're not familiar with The Colbert Report?

Some homework for you, my friend:

http://www.colbertnation.com
And No Coffee Table

The back cover of the DVD from tvshowsondvd.com:

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.hearsay.cc/blog/?p=350

Detailed description of this show ; either 'for real' or a ironic 'skit'. Don't read if you want to be surprised by the show.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://monkey.wizarduniverse.com/2008/1 ... ft-of-all/

[DVD REVIEW] “A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift Of All!”

Jim Gibbons
November 16, 2008

As a reviewer of DVDs, “A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All!” was really a treat. I had no idea that a Colbert Christmas special was even in the works, let alone ready to be reviewed on DVD before it’s TV air date of November 23 at 10:00 p.m., so imagine my pleasant surprise when a review copy was mailed and I got a chance to check out what one might call a bit of “Christmas come early” (…and one’d be right! The review copy was sent to me in early November, far before Chrstmas!).

As a big Colbert fan, I was pretty excited to get my hands on this disc and started laughing from the second I saw the DVD cover where Colbert is wrapping dozens of copies, and holding, the very DVD case that holds the Christmas special (not to mention the TV screen fireplace on mute behind him).

The cover pretty much sets the tone for the delightfully ludicrous spoof of Christmas specials that features plenty of “in jokes” for members of the Colbert Nation. Including musical numbers by Colbert himself (one solo, one alongside “The Daily Show’s” Jon Stewart and featured parts in each of the other guests’ numbers), Toby Keith, Elvis Costello, Willie Nelson, John Legend and Feist, the hour TV special (about 45 minutes on DVD) plays off the overly musical specials of the past while delivering a playfully satirical view of America and arguably it’s biggest holiday. Elvis Costello is drop dead hilarious throughout as he dons numerous pageant costumes and delivers deadpan humor at its finest, while fans who miss Colbert in a less pundity format will enjoy getting to see a bit more of his comic acting (i.e. “Strangers with Candy”) within the world he’s established during his run on “The Colbert Report.” Comedy-wise, it’s a must-watch for the Colbert Nation and humor enthusiasts alike. Well worth the time for anyone out there with a pulse!

As far as special features go, the single disc has some real fun additions to the hilarious headlining program.

Three alternate endings are included. After watching the special, you’ll almost see a few times where you think, “Huh? I thought they were going to do something else there.” A few of those moments are shown in the alternate endings that are a silly little addition, but certainly an entertaining one! Another bonus feature has Colbert doing a country-western tune called “A Cold, Cold Christmas,” which will definitely garner laughter, but doesn’t touch the DVD’s best special feature. Going by the name of “Video Yule Log of Burning Books,” this 20-minute feature is a spoof of that silly channel that pops up everywhere around Christmas that just plays footage of a fireplace. The Colbert crew do the same, but toss books into the flames throughout the duration. When a copy of “Fahrenheit 451″ hit the blaze, I lost my sh%t! I just can’t wait to slip this in the DVD player at a holiday get-together and watch as people unaware of the joke slowly go from confusion to disgust. Just one more genius bit from this DVD that should get you out there grabbing a copy (it’s on sale now!) even before you catch it on TV.

Forget Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang, I’m spending my Christmas with Colbert!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.itsanocean.com/2008/11/steph ... g-out.html

Monday, November 17, 2008

Stephen Colbert Is Putting Out a Christmas Album, Too

A Christmas album featuring Feist, Elvis Costello, Willie Nelson, John Legend, Toby Keith, and yes, even Jon Stewart is due out in conjunction with the hour-long musical comedy special "A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All", which will debut on Comedy Central November 23 and will make its way to DVD November 25.

A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All tracklist:

01 Stephen Colbert: "Another Christmas Song"
02 Toby Keith: "Have I Got a Present for You"
03 Feist: "Please Be Patient"
04 Stephen Colbert and Willie Nelson: "Little Dealer Boy"
05 Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart: "Can I Interest You in Hannukah?"
06 Stephen Colbert and John Legend: "Nutmeg"
07 Stephen Colbert, Elvis Costello, Feist, Toby Keith, John Legend, and Willie Nelson: "(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding"
08 Stephen Colbert, Elvis Costello, Feist, Toby Keith, John Legend, and Willie Nelson: "There Are Much Worse Things to Believe In"

09 Stephen Colbert: "A Cold, Cold Christmas"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

...nice little 1-and-a-bit mins. audio of TAMWTTBI ...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=97228992
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Definitely going to be watching this!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/21/arts/ ... l?ref=arts

New York Times

Television Review | 'A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All'
Unwrap the Presents, Unleash the Parody

By ALESSANDRA STANLEY
Published: November 20, 2008

(extract)

Mr. Colbert is delightful, a few of the song parodies are clever, but over all, the show is too long and more than a little strained, much like the holiday specials it mocks. Elvis Costello is one of the guests and he is misused, forced into silly mock-skits that are no funnier than the cloying fluff they parody. He doesn’t sing until the very end. When he does, alongside Mr. Colbert in a bittersweet carol called “There Are Much Worse Things to Believe In,” it’s not meant to be funny but it is quite wonderful.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 148N2S.DTL

TV review: Tuck in kids, then tune in Colbert

Tim Goodman, San Francisco Chronicle TV Columnist

Thursday, November 20, 2008

(extract)

Colbert then sees the "fourth wise man" in his plastic piano-top manger scene. That man is Willie Nelson, who sings "The Little Dealer Boy," a song about pot, featuring the lyric "Let not mankind bogart love."

Yep, it's that kind of special. Put the kids to bed first. Then you can rejoice, along with Jon Stewart - who stops by to sing about the merits of Hanukkah - as Costello informs Colbert that the Jonas Brothers have fallen through the ice.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

The 80 secs of Costello:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=97228992

is a positive paeon of joy compared with Nieve recent opera (and we have all spent out on Costello's 'Classical' collaborations) ...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Anybody watch last night? I thought it was hysterical.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

BlueChair wrote:Anybody watch last night? I thought it was hysterical.
Same here. Elvis's bits were great. (I don't want to ruin too much for anyone who hasn't seen it!) That version of PL&U was sweet, something that I never thought would be said about an EC-related song. I liked the quip about the Jonas Brothers, and the ongoing mistletoe joke.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

it was pretty funny, but really no more so than he is every other night. i can't imagine buying the DVD.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
And No Coffee Table

COMEDY CENTRAL Records(R) Releases Songs from 'A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All' Exclusively on iTunes on Tuesday, November 25

NEW YORK, Nov 24, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Digital Album Features Bonus Track By Stephen Colbert
Guest Artists Include Elvis Costello, Feist, Toby Keith, John Legend, Willie Nelson And Jon Stewart.

COMEDY CENTRAL Records releases songs from "A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All!" as a digital album exclusively on iTunes on Tuesday, November 25. A portion of the proceeds from the digital album will benefit the charity Feeding America (formerly knows as America's Second Harvest).

The digital release features guest artists Elvis Costello, Feist, Toby Keith, John Legend, Willie Nelson and Jon Stewart. The release contains 9 songs featured in the one-hour special, plus the bonus track "Cold Cold Christmas" that is also included on the DVD of "A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All."

"A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All!," Stephen Colbert's one-hour original musical holiday special, premieres on COMEDY CENTRAL on Sunday, November 23 at 10:00 p.m. In the special, Colbert is on his way to perform with Elvis Costello in New York City but is trapped in his cabin in upstate New York (bear country). Luckily, his friends Feist, Toby Keith, John Legend, Willie Nelson and Jon Stewart stop by to help him celebrate the season. "A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All!" features original songs written by David Javerbaum (executive producer, "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart") and composer Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne), who recently collaborated on the Tony(R)-nominated Broadway musical "Cry Baby." "What's So Funny 'bout Peace, Love And Understanding" was written by Nick Lowe. The songs were produced by Schlesinger and Steven M. Gold. Theme music and score also by Schlesinger and Gold.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... it seems that not in UK one can watch/record/buy Costello TAMWTTBI duet ...

Can please someone post TAMWTTBI for those UK of us who cannot access purchase of track via iTunes or watching via US video sites? Thanks.

http://www.blinkx.com/channel/ComedyCentral
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

charliestumpy wrote:... it seems that not in UK one can watch/record/buy Costello TAMWTTBI duet ...

Can please someone post TAMWTTBI for those UK of us who cannot access purchase of track via iTunes or watching via US video sites? Thanks.

Please, be carefull, think about Stewy!! ( http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=1&t=7488 )
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I thought the funniest bits were the Willie Nelson and Toby Keith songs. I liked Peace Love and Understanding too - but am really glad I had this on dvr and was able to fast forward through the commercials. I have to agree that Elvis was misused; just not very funny - and Colbert is too much of a one note character for me - great in limited doses the Daily Show - in a longer context it's sort of like being force fed eclairs - to use a John Foyle analogy.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Elvis looks alittle like Peter Sellers in that picture
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

sweetest punch wrote:
charliestumpy wrote:... it seems that not in UK one can watch/record/buy Costello TAMWTTBI duet ...

Please, be carefull, think about Stewy!! ( http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=1&t=7488 )
Thanks for the advice, and I have now read the legal link (good to know lawyers are coining it for such a fantastic job). IMO Stewie tried to help spread the good about Costello.

I apologize for requesting something in Costello's US public domain.

I hope he/they show/sell the Colbert fun in UK.

I particularly like the pipe.