Momofuku Poll #2 - Whaddya think?

Pretty self-explanatory

Whaddya think of Momofuku?

I love it! One of Elvis' best!
14%
One of the best? Not sure, but it's pretty freaking awesome!
52%
It's quite good!
29%
Eh, it's okay I guess
5%
It's got one or two good songs but the rest are kind of shite
No votes
It's shite. Period.
No votes

Total votes: 79

spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Re: Momofuku Poll #2 - Whaddya think?

Post by spooky girlfriend »

invisible Pole wrote:Anyone else thinks My Three Sons feels like a second part of Still ? The song from "North" being a hymn to his wife, and My Three Sons - to his kids ?
Lyrically and musically they seem very related to me.
Oh well, just a thought .....
Interesting. . .
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

It sounds like MOST of the songs on this album are continued explorations and extrapolations of previous songs. Segue and sequel.

Harry Worth and Long Honeymoon
Flutter and Wow and When it Sings

and all the others right? :)
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Sure am glad I put TYM on side two of my tape , I've welled up and shed a tear three times now to My Three Sons , I don't even have kids , maybe I need to see a doctor , tongue looks ok though .
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: Glad you're enjoying it. Easily done: even 6 a side, so Stella Hurt kicks off side 2.
Thanks a lot Mr Westinghouse. I was posting on Word Magazine's site only last night about how I miss the 2 act play that was the vinyl LP. http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/podcast-ahoy

That page also has a rather amusing you tube skit on Elvis!

Just wish he'd tour the new LP...
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

My copy came today! And so far is is verry good, but I shall refrain from voting until a few listens. Amazon shipped them yesterday, said they would arrive Tuesday, so boy was I surprised when they came today! It's like a birthday today! Elvis, Tom Waits, Nick Lowe, and the SSA name popularity lists, all today! :D
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I'm digging: the backing vocals, Harry Worth, Mr. Feathers, Go Away.. and pretty much everything in between. Nice one... I like it. Now, I have to decide which record is my favorite!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Paul B wrote:Thanks a lot Mr Westinghouse. I was posting on Word Magazine's site only last night about how I miss the 2 act play that was the vinyl LP. http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/podcast-ahoy
Ah ha - another Word subscriber! Love the magazine, but I seem to have a problem being recognised by them. I renew my subscription two weeks ago, 12 months for £35, then they send me a letter telling me I should renew my expired subscription for £29! That's just taunting me. Has your new one come yet? Then I follow your link and it doesn't accept the username and password I have stored, and nor do they send me the email they say they have,. Come to think of it, I don't think they ever did originally, which is why I'm not recognised. Oh well.

Played the LP through while walking the dog in the hot sun today. A few new thoughts:

1. Drum and Bone seems the weakest to me, and I don't get what's special about Go Away. Both of these strike me as average, Elvis on autopilot.

2. A few songs seem to have the same treated cymbals (at least I think that's what I'm hearing) percussive effect. Can't remember where now, mainly on side two! Listen on headphones/closely and you'll hear what I mean.

3. The 'hey man we're cutting this live' vibe of 'to the bridge' and 'here we go' sound like they were calculated to have that effect and therefore don't sound how they should.

4. Might there be a specific reason for his wrath in 'No Hiding Place'? Perhaps he's perused this site and decided to get his own back!

5. Seems like we can't say anything negative here cos we're not saying it to his face!

6. Is it my imagination or are people here generally more excited about MF (!) than TDM? I played the latter to remind myself today, seems better to me on every level, not that I'm not happy to have MF in the canon.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I think the songs on The Delivery Man are generally better, but it's the production/performance of Momofuku that wins me over. Songs like "Needle Time", "Monkey To Man" and "Nothing Clings Like Ivy" sounded way better to me when I heard Elvis play them solo-acoustic with Steve at Massey Hall then they did when they wound up on the album.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

6. Is it my imagination or are people here generally more excited about MF (!) than TDM? I played the latter to remind myself today, seems better to me on every level, not that I'm not happy to have MF in the canon.
True, that. I've been listening and my very humble opinion is (drum roll, natch) it's ok, but it's not all that. It's no MAIT. Wish it was Trust. Or Get Happy!!!! I want to compare it to that little companion thingy for WIWC, the name of I can't quite recollect tonight, but that seems way harsh. I get the idea that we're all so relieved he is recording that everything seems sunshine and roses.

Who made Stella Hurt? She'll never know just what Harry was Worth. Device used twice. Irritating. But then, it's crazy to expect genius with every syllable. My Three Sons is
lovely, but I picture Fred Montgomery (and Uncle Charlie)every time he sings it. If I were Blender magazine, doing my Rank The Records of Elvis, this would be in the Nice To Have But Non-Essential.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

mood swung wrote:
True, that. I've been listening and my very humble opinion is (drum roll, natch) it's ok, but it's not all that. It's no MAIT. Wish it was Trust. Or Get Happy!!!! I want to compare it to that little companion thingy for WIWC, the name of I can't quite recollect tonight, but that seems way harsh. I get the idea that we're all so relieved he is recording that everything seems sunshine and roses.

Who made Stella Hurt? She'll never know just what Harry was Worth. Device used twice. Irritating. But then, it's crazy to expect genius with every syllable. My Three Sons is
lovely, but I picture Fred Montgomery (and Uncle Charlie)every time he sings it. If I were Blender magazine, doing my Rank The Records of Elvis, this would be in the Nice To Have But Non-Essential.
Gotta agree. This isn't a serious CD, record, album, or whathaveyou. Its GOOD, no, its okay, and I'll take it and enjoy it, its still better than 95% of the crap thats out there, including ALL of the albums by the POLICE, combined. I've been rocking out to 3-4 of the tracks, but it ain't a proper album, nevermind CD, is it?

This is just Elv having fun with a few buds and cranking out a work in a few hours time, almost like an inside joke, lets see if I can break my own record for how fast I can bash out an album without mustering a sweat.

If you're reading this, Elvis, CHEERS, no "cloak of anonymity" here, I'll say it to your face, you just made an album thats better than anything by the POLICE, but thats not saying much.
:mrgreen:
migdd

Post by migdd »

I dunno. Momofuku was recorded in about 6 days. The Delivery Man, a better album, was cut in three days. The number of days in the studio don't equate to a better album, imho. It's the quality of the songs that do it.

I think Momofuku is pretty damned good. EC's done better, but he's done much worse, too.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ah, the inevitable backlash! It's on a par with Cruel Smile?!? Righto!

Personally, at this point I find MF a more satisfying album than TDM, which was supposed to tell some sort of story of southern misery but fuck me if I can figure it out.

MF is jollier, the backing vocals are better, you get lots of lovely little echoes of the past. No, it's not up there with his best, but it's a fine little album and it doesn't overstay its welcome.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Ah, the inevitable backlash! It's on a par with Cruel Smile?!? Righto!

Personally, at this point I find MF a more satisfying album than TDM, which was supposed to tell some sort of story of southern misery but fuck me if I can figure it out.

MF is jollier, the backing vocals are better, you get lots of lovely little echoes of the past. No, it's not up there with his best, but it's a fine little album and it doesn't overstay its welcome.
I agree with WSS. I have limited affection for TDM as it all sounds a bit contrived and earnest to me. This English guy pretending he's from Alabama or something. I preferred RIR myself, but I was starting to tire of themed EC albums.

MF floats my boat far more. The organ, the jollity, the Englishness and the anger and most importantly, the length of the record (which is spot on). Lyrically, I really rate it. I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting this album to be as good as it is. It's a bit early in the listening to start lauding the album with accolades, but I am travelling to the Spurs v Liverpool match today and am really looking forward to the journey because of this record.

AGT is fantastic....a total beast of an EC tune and I think it will be one I'll go back to in 20 years (if I'm around!). I can't see what is 'awful' about Turpentine. That assessment seems bizarre to me, but everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess.

The only track I skip is Drum and Bone, which is just dull to me.

As I say, too early to rate, but at this stage it's the most enjoyable few listens since ATUB or maybe BY.

Love it.
corruptio optimi pessima
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Since I haven't been able to find this CD in Buenos Aires, I am basing my opinion on the stream off LostHighway which has been the soundtrack to my last few days at work. It's brilliant. I find it ten times better than The Delivery Man. Less contrived, more urgent. A great set of awesome songs. I honestly don't know what those few people on this thread are talking about. "Terrible"? A song like Turpentine? Are you kidding me?

"Same device used twice... irritating"? "This ain't a proper album"? Jesus Christ. I honestly don't get all the nitpicking. This is a brilliant little rock album, and I hate the fact that everybody seems to over-analyze it when it's supposed to be an experiment on immediacy and, above all things, the joy of making music.

But of course, in my short time on this message board I've come to realize that the man can't catch a break.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I prefer the natural sound of MF to the twang of TDM. I cannot listen to Country Darkness which so many people seem to love. She's Pulling Out The Pin and The Judgement are the two tracks that I love from TDM and the former was a bonus track and the latter didn't really belong (and Solomon Burke's version kind of makes it superfluous). Agree that there are some great songs but the record could have been so much better.

I have not taken to Drum and Bone and and a few of the others on MF are starting weaken after about 20 plays. I have come to quite like MTS although I still don't like the thought of it. The opening three tracks along with MrF, SH and SWR will remain favourites I'm sure.
signed with love and vicious kisses
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Let's be honest friends, Elvis is in some rare air as an artist. Not many pop/rock artists continue to make valid, thought-provoking, quality work thirty years in. Comparing any two works of art, even by the same artist is a bit of an apples and oranges exercise isn't it? Better to rate something on its own merit than to compare it to something else, especially something that came out thirty years ago! Saying its no My Aim is True or This Year's Model is like saying your fourth kid is not your first kid! Totally different things.

Having said that, I heartily enjoy the range of opinions the same piece of work can inspire in different people. Even if half of them are wrong. :lol:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

No kidding - the fact that we are having this heated a debate about Elvis' recent work is pretty awesome.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

And that after all these years in the music business that he is still cranking out perfectly valid and quality albums! Some artists go their whole career and make maybe one good album - or even worse - multiple and profitable "crap" albums - and never produce one album as good as Elvis's least effort.

I really enjoy this album. It's just what I needed right now. It is whatever it is and I like it.
migdd

Post by migdd »

pophead2k wrote:Let's be honest friends, Elvis is in some rare air as an artist. Not many pop/rock artists continue to make valid, thought-provoking, quality work thirty years in. Comparing any two works of art, even by the same artist is a bit of an apples and oranges exercise isn't it? Better to rate something on its own merit than to compare it to something else, especially something that came out thirty years ago! Saying its no My Aim is True or This Year's Model is like saying your fourth kid is not your first kid! Totally different things.

Having said that, I heartily enjoy the range of opinions the same piece of work can inspire in different people. Even if half of them are wrong.
Yes indeed!! :D
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Well, I still haven't had the time to fully digest all of what I'm hearing, but I think this is a damned fine album. A few thoughts:

I agree with Otis' #4 -The 'to the bridge' and whatnot sounds a little contrived.

I don't see why so many people are whinging about Turpentine. I think the double drum sound is really cool, and it's a fine rock and roll song.

Elvis' voice sounds a little raw in places (good or bad depending on your opinion), but the vocals overall are quite nice. The backing vocals, especially, I like.

Flutter and Wow is gorgeous. I think the definitive version might be a live one later on, though. The vocals do get a tad grating (to me) at times. But the lyrics and sentiment are beautiful.

I like My Three Sons, find Song With Rose a little boring. That, along with Pardon Me Madam, My Name Is Eve will be growers I guess, because they don't grip me right now.

Stella Hurt=awesome. That's all.

So, in conclusion, based upon the first few listens, it's quite good. I like it a lot. It has its flaws, but it's new Elvis, and somehow he's managed to stay relevant and vital through the years. I think the reason everyone's all in a tizzy is because of the whole "I'm not recording anymore" gobbledegook from earlier. None of us really believed it, (at least I didn't), but it probably got under the skin a little and made us uber excited about this one. So then, Momofuku: Very good. Not top notch upper echelon EC, but great and new and catchy. Honestly, with the recent bids for widespread fame, I was worried about getting something akin to PtC (which I like, but...c'mon), but Elvis delivered this time.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Saying its no My Aim is True or This Year's Model is like saying your fourth kid is not your first kid!
But my first kid *was* perfect.

:lol:

Don't tell the other three.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
John

Post by John »

I'm enjoying this album more than any since Brutal Youth. More fun, more foot-tapping, some great songs, nice variety of styles, not too long.

Marks out of ten:-
No Hiding Place 9
AGT 8
Turpentine 7
Harry Worth 8
Drum & Bone 6
Flutter & Wow 8
Stella Hurt 8
Mr Feathers 8
My Three Sons 9
Sing With Rose 8
Pardon Me Madam 8
Go Away 7
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Wow, okay. I guess I'm the only one absolutely head over heels in love with "Song With Rose"?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I really like "Song With Rose," if only because it sounds different than anything Elvis has done before.
migdd

Post by migdd »

SWR is definitely a highlight for me too! Great melody and lyrics!