What is on your music 'to get' list atm? cds, etc

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

What is on your music 'to get' list atm? cds, etc

Post by bambooneedle »

For now:

As far as Nick Cave I have Let Love In, Henry's Dream and the Grinderman album in mind for now to keep an eye out for. No hurry though; got Dig Lazarus Dig, Lyre of Orpheus and Nocturama to take in.

Bruce - Live In Dublin, and hopefully I'll get a tour edition or expanded Magic. Decided to avoid Bruce until, hopefully, they'll announce a tour (plus had been overdosing on old bootlegs before Magic). And the Hammersmith '75.

The lastest Suzanne Vega, Beauty & Crime. I have the rest of her albums, the only other thing I'm lacking would be the now unavailable Live In London EP which would be cool if just to have Black Widow Station on my mp3 player.

The Doobie Brothers - finally getting The Captain & Me on cd last month has been making me realize how much I miss Stampede in digital form. I sooo need Music Man and I Cheat The Hangman on my iriver.

From the "heavy" ranks of music, I'm still waiting for Guns N' Roses. And I'm tempted to check out new ambitious Judas Priest Nostradamus concept album.

There's Pretenders and Triffids reissues...

Not particularly keen to see the Shine A Light movie immediately... I've been watching the 4DVD The Biggest Bang and I know just what they look like on stage now, Scorsese and the hype can't fool me....

Then there's stuff I read about like boxsets by Woody Guthrie, Stax, more Doobies, but they can usually wait till either I see them at a good price or I'm seduced enough.

More later.
BlueChair

Re: What is on your music 'to get' list atm? cds, etc

Post by BlueChair »

I've heard plenty by the Talking Heads, but after hearing Fear of Music from start to finish at a friend's house yesterday, I'm really eager to pick that one up.

I'm also anxious to build up my classical collection, and hope to get Who Shot Sam's recommended recording of The Well-Tempered Clavier as soon as I can.

I've not yet picked up any of the recent Leonard Cohen remasters, but when I do I think Songs of Love and Hate will be my starting point.

I've also been eager to build up my soul collection. Aretha Franklin's Rare & Unreleased Recordings looks great, and I've had by eye on Al Green's Gets Next To You and a few Ann Peebles and Irma Thomas compilations for some time.

bamboo - I was watching the Live in Dublin Blu-Ray DVD at my parents' house on the weekend. Pretty incredible stuff!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Bamboo - I finally heard some of those GNR "Chinese Democracy" leaks online. "The Blues" is the best of the ones I heard. I can't help thinking that they sound like rejects from the "Use Your Illusion" albums. It was cool to hear Brian May on one of the tracks though. Supposedly the album has been handed over to the label.

Meanwhile, on my to-get list......

Doughboys, Plowboys and Cowboys: The Golden Years of Western Swing
The soul compilation produced by Joe Henry that Blue mentioned somewhere looks quite good.
At My Age - Nick Lowe
Warpaint - Black Crowes
The Good Life - Justin Townes Earle
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The new Nick Cave, Elbow's latest one and I also like the bits and pieces I've heard from the new Supergrass album.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Was 'Ghost of a Friend' one of those bits and pieces? On the latest Word comp, and a truly lovely song.

'The ghost of a friend came down to me
And said don't go back to misery'

They played Cambridge's Junction, club venue, not that big, should have gone. LP has had good praise.

I still want to hear the last British Sea Power one. My wife got it for her brother's birthday, but wouldn't let me take it out of the cellophane before posting it!!!

The good thing about having a new and first iPod is that I'm totally excited about listening to everything on it, and so far only have a fragment (OK, a 10GB fragment, but lots of it is deletable bootlegs) of my collection on there. I totally get the thing about rediscovering your music, and I haven't even been using shuffle yet.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Nick Cave -Because I've never heard him before, besides some intriguing 30 second clips on iTunes.

The Jesus of Cool re-issue -I've really meant to get around to that

Regina Spektor's earlier stuff.

More Ryan Adams

More XTC, Drums and Wires most likely.

I require more Tom Waits... Frank's Wild Years, most likely.

Wardo's been writing about Nick Drake, so I'll have to look at that as well.

...I do things by artist I guess, not album. :) There's likely much more I'll remember soon enough.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
migdd

Post by migdd »

John Hiatt - Same Old Man (out May 27). Snippets of the tracks are available here. . .

http://www.sameoldman.com/

Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool reissue (like StictTime, I don't know what I'm waiting for)!!

Van Morrison reissues - not sure which one to pick up first so I haven't gotten any of them. Big mistake!!!
Otis Westinghouse

Drums and Wires is my favourite XTC record. I've got more recent ones that people here have raved about (Skylarking, etc.), all very good, but nothing matches the smart, shiny pop of D&W.

Frank's Wild Years is worth getting, provided you have other classics such as Rain Dogs and Swordfish Ts, which I think you have, and more recent classics like Mule Variations, Alice and Blood Money. Well, not 'provided, they're all good. Get 'em all!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

BlueChair wrote:bamboo - I was watching the Live in Dublin Blu-Ray DVD at my parents' house on the weekend. Pretty incredible stuff!
I've only heard Atlantic City from it and it's awesome. I notice as well that on the Dublin album they're called 'The Sessions Band'.... who's material next? maybe no-one's in particular. The DVD would be good... a lot of musicians on the stage.
Bamboo - I finally heard some of those GNR "Chinese Democracy" leaks online. "The Blues" is the best of the ones I heard. I can't help thinking that they sound like rejects from the "Use Your Illusion" albums. It was cool to hear Brian May on one of the tracks though. Supposedly the album has been handed over to the label.
The Blues sounds very "classic rock" to me, like radio will love it. I've heard a handful of them, not all of them, not the one with Brian May on it (There Was A Time), and they're of course not the final versions so I can't help but withhold judgment, but I think the 'Better' leak I heard is awesome, indescribable!, really modern, light years beyond any of their previous stuff and anyone else I can think of in comparable genres. They're going to surprise a lot of people. It's going to be real interesting seeing how people take to them after all this time! It's GN'R (in my mind, always Axl's artistic vision), yet now a whole other band trying to make its mark. I'm just going to forget about them though until a solid release date... long been fed up of waiting. I'd like to see the delay reasons surface eventually.. should be interesting.
Otis Westinghouse

Goldfrapp's Seventh Tree might be one to get, it seems to have some lovely songs on it. They were on Later last week and did 'Happiness' and 'A & E', the latter is just gorgeous. Check it out on Hype Machine. 'Caravan Girl' also good. Nice music for bedtime. A bit dreamy, soft and gentle, quite a change from the glam disco thing she was doing before. Haven't heard the earlier LPs, but it seems this is more akin to her/their first (I think) LP Felt Mountain.

She's attractive too, not that this has any bearing on things.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

not the one with Brian May on it (There Was A Time),
Oops cosmos, Brian May actually played on one called Catcher In The Rye, not that one. I've not heard either, was just going from (faulty) memory.

While I'm here... next up, purely Dylanwise, The Basement Tapes. I paid top dollars for a vinyl copy about 10 years ago and never really got interested in TBT till relatively recently... been reading on it and listening to it somewhat, so I'd like to get it on cd and preserve the great gatefold cover and vinyl - it's like brand new, perfect condition! I'm sure I could get big bucks for it at some point but it would never lose its show-off value.

I also have these on vinyl but not as yet digitally -

-Real Live
-Before The Flood ... both of these would be nice to get, after TBT.

-the early 'Dylan' album, apparently hard to find on cd. It's got a few ok covers on it - Lily Of The West, Big Yellow Taxi, Mr Bojangles, The Ballad Of Ira Hayes and I forget what else.

-Down In The Groove... in no hurry to acquire on cd....
-Greatest Hits Vol 2. Only really want the few rarities included updated, like When I Paint My Masterpiece, but may have 'em from elsewhere... will check, I may be able to compile my own digital GH's II.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I wonder if Greatest Hits Vol. 2 was the first hits compilation to contain previously unreleased material. Definitely worth it for "Watching The River Flow," along with the tracks you mentioned but if you're happy enough with digital copies I bet you can just nab the tracks you want off of iTunes or wherever.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I think so, Blue. As it turns out the only ones I'm missing are When I Paint My Masterpiece and Down In The Flood (and Dylan archivists note, DITF is different than the Basement Ts version. which I don't have yet anyway). Of the other 4, 2 I had from an old Aus/Japan compilation 'Masterpieces' (that included a few other rarities -- http://www.edlis.org/twice/threads/masterpieces.html ) and the other two I must've downloaded from some blog or something.

I haven't yet signed up with anything like ITunes yet but at least I have the vinyl for now. Hearing the songs in that order on my mp3 player will just have to wait...

I'm not so bothered with other recent releases I've seen like 'Bob Dylan Live 1961-90' or the 'Blues' cd (on which, surprise surprise, they've stuck the hard to get Down In The Flood). Or 'Live at Carnegie Hall '63' or 'The Gaslight Tapes' which are so incomplete anyway, what kind of joke is that?! I've got boots of the whole shows now but I hadn't even been aware of those releases for a while, originally only available as bonuses only with another Dylan cd you bought at Starbucks... Lucky, because I might have tried to buy them before finding out that they were were only shortened versions! Sometimes it pays to be out of touch. And now they're trying to sell them everywhere, but I have the whole shows, so screw them.

Beyond studio albums and major releases I'm not that obsessed. I've got a few famous boots etc but it's good to know there's a lot of Bob Dylan to keep surprising me for a while yet.

Speaking of official releases, I also look forward to checking out the Newport DVD.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just discovered two new releases that are immediately going on my music 'to get' list:

Was (Not Was) - Boo! - I've heard this artist's name thrown around over the years, but never really got the opportunity to hear any of their stuff. I know Don Was mostly as a producer who has worked with Bob Dylan, among others. Anyway, this album sounds fantastic... funky, political, weird... you can hear some of the tracks at http://www.myspace.com/wasnotwasfreaks

Richard Swift - Richard Swift is Onasis - Swift's first two albums presented him as an old-fashioned singer-songwriter with a voice that fell somewhere between Tom Waits' early years and Harry Nilsson. This album, full of short and electric rock 'n' roll songs, seems starkly different. I look forward to hearing the whole thing, but have enjoyed previewing the two tracks found on Secretly Canadian's website: http://www.secretlycanadian.com/onesheet.php?cat=SC173