Best of 2008: So Far

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Best of 2008: So Far

Post by BlueChair »

Okay, so we're only eight weeks into 2008, but Who Shot Sam's remark in the "listening to" thread (
Who Shot Sam? wrote:I'll probably be getting that. There has been very little of interest released so far this year.
) inspired me to start this thread.

Obviously it's still way early, but there's at least been a few new releases this year that have excited me:

- Cat Power's Jukebox, while not as flawless as The Greatest is a very decent collection of cover tunes.

- Gary Louris' Vagabonds is an extremely satisfying solo debut from the former co-leader of The Jayhawks. You can hear the whole thing herehttp://www.myspace.com/garylouris

I'm also intrigued by the latest releases by Tift Merritt, Ray Davies, Marah and Shelby Lynne, though admittedly havent' had a chance to hear them.

Any other 2008 releases we should know about and be excited about, board?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Best of 2008: So Far

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yeah, forgot about the Shelby Lynne album. I like that one. Otherwise - meh.

I heard Tift Merritt the other night on one of the late night shows, and it sounded very pale and uninteresting. I'm sure there will be some worthwhile music later in 2008, but I'm accustomed to a big slew of interesting releases after the new year, in preparation for the summer tour season - and that doesn't seem to be happening this year.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

New
Chris Woods - Trespassers
Brilliant traditional yet modern english folk

Pete & the Pirates - Little Death
Debut album full of promise. Lush pop with an edge and lots of lovely harmonies.

Joe Jackson - Rain
Back to near his best. Good mixture of upbeat songs and slower jazz tinged ballads.

Other
Eels - Meet the Eels
Best of the first ten years, good starter for anyone wanting to get to know them

Eels - Useless Trinkets...
Good selection (50 tracks) of unreleased, demos, live tracks etc.

Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
Rerelease of an album I never had, excellent early Van.

Now looking forward to upcoming releases by: Billy Bragg, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Portishead, Paul Weller, Futureheads & The Last Shadow Puppets (Alex Turner's collaboration with Miles Kane of the Rascals)
signed with love and vicious kisses
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Vampire Weekends debut actually lives up to all its hype, it's growing on me. Love Shelbys album, much more immediate than sister Allison Moorers album, which is a bit up and down. The Tift Merrit album is in the post, like the sound of it. Bob Moulds album is a good one, I hope he tours with a band here soon. The Gutter Twins album should be a good one, judging by the bootlegs of the recent show. It's early days yet, maybe other acts will take heed from Radiohead and record and quickly release their albums. The U2 album will probably be down to the wire again and barely make it out by Thanksgiving, Eno & lanois will hopefully come up with the goods again. Love the new REM track, Jacknife Lee might also deliver there as well, loved his album last year. So, lots of good things to come, maybe even an Elvis album!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just ordered the new Gutter Twins album (Mark Lanegan with Greg Dulli from Afghan Whigs). That should be interesting.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Stephen Malkmus is coming out with a new one in a couple of weeks. And doesn't British Sea Power have a new one out?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yes, and it's had lots of praise. I only know two songs off it, but they are both very good. Worth buying, I'd say. Going for a bit of an anthemic feel, but not in a dull or corny way. Canvey Island is a great song.

I like what I've heard of the new Hot Chip one, some really lovely songs. The only thing I've bought was The Mandé Sessions by the genius of the kora, Toumani Diabaté. I was drooling over one piece off it from a Word sampler. Only just got it and haven't played it all yet, but it sounds fantastic. It's solo kora, a fascinating instrument, the way he plays it anyway. Like the link above says, a harp with a flamenco guitar vibe.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more