California Dreaming

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

California Dreaming

Post by Jackson Monk »

The Monkster household have never been to the good old US of A :shock: . We fancy putting this right and have settled on having 2 or 3 weeks in California next year. Obviously we'll have to take our 2 tweenies to Universal Studios and Disneyland.

However, knowing nothing, can those in the know give us some tips on where to stay, what to do, where to avoid etc......

We want to see stuff, but I DO NOT want to spend lots of time driving!
corruptio optimi pessima
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

If you don't want to spend lots of time driving, skip California and visit the Northeast of the U.S. Anywhere in the west, you will drive and drive and drive. Not that there aren't loads and loads of great things to see in Cali, but things are very spread out. In the northeast, you have NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Washington DC and lots of very pretty countryside at much closer quarters. However, no Disneyland or Univresal Studios.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Aww, it's a real shame you can't come closer this way, Jackson. Moody and I can throw a real good picnic. :-)
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Yep, the North East is on our list of things to do in 2009, but we want a bit of guaranteed sun next year. We were thinking of basing ourselves in Dana Point and taking 4 or 5 days out.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well, like pophead says, you are going to be doing a lot of driving if you're out in California. Here are a few things I wouldn't want to miss out on:

-Pacific Coast Highway, especially the area around Big Sur. You could combine this with a visit to Hearst Castle, which is pretty insanely extravagant.

-The giant sequoias, El Capitan, etc. at Yosemite National Park. I haven't been there since I was a kid, but they are just an awesome sight.

-San Francisco - one of the best tourist cities in the world and you can at least abandon the car for a while. Italian food in North Beach, Chinatown. I've never been to Alcatraz, but that might be a hoot for the kids. If you can leave the kids on their own for a day (or arrange for someone to watch over them), you and the wife could get up to Napa or Sonoma for the day and go wine tasting. If you want a spectacular Bay Area restaurant, Chez Panisse, in Berkeley, across the bay from San Francisco, is excellent.

-The Getty Museum in Los Angeles - for the view alone. Unbelievable setting high above LA.

-The Griffith Park Observatory in LA. The final scene of Rebel Without a Cause was filmed here. Again, a great view and they have all sorts of presentations and laser light shows as well. There were some bad fires in this area a few months ago, but hopefully it has recovered by the time you visit.

-A Dodgers game at Chavez Ravine, if you're adventurous. There is no nicer place to watch baseball IMO. If it's hot, catch a night game. The league's best hot dogs.

-Joshua Tree National Park - The polar opposite of Yosemite - a desert park, but it's very interesting and would give you a flavor of the variety of the state. There are a ton of fairly easy nature trails.

-A double chili cheeseburger at Tommy's in LA. There are a bunch of Tommy's fast food joints dotting the landscape. Hamburgers have been perfected to an art form in LA. Some people claim In-n-Out Burger is the best. I'm a Tommy's guy.

-Go record shopping at Amoeba Records in Hollywood. There's a big-ass movie theater multiplex right next to it, so if you need some time to peruse the aisles, let the kids catch a movie.

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have a blast.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

You'll spend a lot of time in the car in LA - no avoiding it - a lot of the time you won't be driving though - just kind of sitting there - but the rental place will give you an automatic. Incorporate a week in San Francisco - you can get around easy there without a car - a million things to see and do - one of the best cities in the US.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'd skip Yosemite and go to Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP. One of my favorite places on the planet.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/

and I gotta second Hearst Castle.

and as long as you're driving all over hell and back, run down the Baja.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'd be disappointed if I didn't spend lots of time driving on the open roads on a 2-3 week break in the US. I like driving hols, but over there it would be like, for example, finally being on the NY subway - like acting in a film. you grow up watching it so many times, to finally get there would be great.

Paris Texas, and all that.

Love that photo.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

It would be a shame if you were to miss the Grand Canyon. I don't know how far it is from you where you will be going, but once you get to the Canyon it will be worth the travelled hours. You can even take donkey rides down to the base (if you sign up months in advance), or you can take a helicopter tour of the Canyon.

If you don't want to drive yourself, there are many tour buses that travel to the Grand Canyon from many locations throughout the West.
Last edited by ice nine on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Some of my favorite childhood memories are from various car trips - we lived in CA for a while and did the cross country thing a couple of times. Old El Paso, Stuckey's, the oil wells, the desert, the freakin' Mississippi River. I think America is driving and automobiles. But don't quote me. I walk everywhere I can.

So, what I'm saying is, National Lampoon's Vacation - there's your triptik!!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Wallyworld!

Seriously, Pacific Coast Highway is amazing. But it's been a long damn time since I was there.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

put the doofsters in the family truckster!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Now that is a serious station wagon!

We actually drove across country from California to Maine and back again in a station wagon one summer, visiting Yellowstone, the Black Hills, Bryce and Zion, etc. Everything was fine until the car overheated in Sudbury, Ontario on the way home.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Oh, Moody - isn't that the worst car ever? I adore that movie so much. It sets the standard for all family vacation movies.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Now that is a serious station wagon!

We actually drove across country from California to Maine and back again in a station wagon one summer, visiting Yellowstone, the Black Hills, Bryce and Zion, etc. Everything was fine until the car overheated in Sudbury, Ontario on the way home.
Are you the most travelled man in nthe world WSS???

You make me very jealous reading your travel history 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I have to second the above suggestion to visit the Getty Museum in L.A.- absolutely gorgeous and the building is just as impressive as the lovely art.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Are you the most travelled man in nthe world WSS???
I doubt it. I was a teenager at the time and haven't been back to any of those places since.

I remember staying in some incredibly cheesy motels in Wyoming and South Dakota. That was my sister's favorite part of the trip. Even at age 10 or whatever she was she had an appreciation for kitsch.
Jackson Monk

Re: California Dreaming

Post by Jackson Monk »

Hi all

Well, the California trip is booked and we are all very excited. Flying out to San Francisco where we stay for 4 nights. Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway over the following 12 days with stops in Monterey, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara and Huntingdon Beach. We've really splashed the cash on a spot of luxury and will be having separate rooms to the children for the first time since they were born :wink: . Fuck it, the Mastercard can handle it :twisted:

We considered this carefully and this seemed the most relaxed distance given the ages of the children. We're going to do Napa, Yosemite, Death Valley, Vegas and the Grand Canyon next year.

Have taken on board all your recommendations and hope to do as many things as possible. I'm loving the idea of double chilli cheeseburgers already!
corruptio optimi pessima
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Wow WSS hit it outta the park. Especially the part about Ameoba records in LA. If you are serious to coming to Dana point, Thats where I hang my hat, and I can secure a beautiful roon at the Laguna Cliffs Resort and Spa at a decent rate with enough advance notice. I have some connections.

If you want to stay somewhere just outside of Laguna Beach and near everything like Disneyland, etc let me know and I can make that happen. It won't be opulent splendor but near salt creek, laguna beach, dana point, san juan capistrano, dana point, san clemente (some swear the ghost of Nixon still walks the beaches in sockless penny-loafers and a metal detector humming "big Girls Don't Cry").

We have a small but humble abode but it can accomodate a family of four or five without a penny of cost. We have a pool and a hot tub and great music. Hot showers, and laundry. Food. Beer. etc. If you want someone to host you to Hollywood and experience the HOB, or the Graumann Chinese theater with the foot/hand prints etc and the stars of fame I can help.

Anyway, the offer is out. No politics I promise. Just kindness and affordability. That is all I have to offer.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Jackson Monk wrote:We've really splashed the cash on a spot of luxury and will be having separate rooms to the children for the first time since they were born :wink: . Fuck it, the Mastercard can handle it :twisted:
Good move, Jackson. It's a liberating point as a parent when that happens. But beware, the kids like it too and will expect it from now on. :lol:

Have a lovely holiday!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Hi all

Well, the California trip is booked and we are all very excited. Flying out to San Francisco where we stay for 4 nights. Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway over the following 12 days with stops in Monterey, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara and Huntingdon Beach. We've really splashed the cash on a spot of luxury and will be having separate rooms to the children for the first time since they were born :wink: . Fuck it, the Mastercard can handle it :twisted:

We considered this carefully and this seemed the most relaxed distance given the ages of the children. We're going to do Napa, Yosemite, Death Valley, Vegas and the Grand Canyon next year.

Have taken on board all your recommendations and hope to do as many things as possible. I'm loving the idea of double chilli cheeseburgers already!
Fantastic. If you can't find a Tommy's, Carney's on Sunset is great for messy burgers and fries as well. You can't miss it - an old railroad car smack dab in the middle of Sunset.

Pink's hot dogs on La Brea is a bit of an LA institution as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink's_Hot_Dogs

My favorite Mexican joint is Mijare's in Pasadena.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

When are you going? I'm taking a short trip out there in late June/early July.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Carney's is awesome! Yum. Now I want chili. And on everything.

http://www.carneytrain.com
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Mr. Average wrote:Wow WSS hit it outta the park. Especially the part about Ameoba records in LA. If you are serious to coming to Dana point, Thats where I hang my hat, and I can secure a beautiful roon at the Laguna Cliffs Resort and Spa at a decent rate with enough advance notice. I have some connections.

If you want to stay somewhere just outside of Laguna Beach and near everything like Disneyland, etc let me know and I can make that happen. It won't be opulent splendor but near salt creek, laguna beach, dana point, san juan capistrano, dana point, san clemente (some swear the ghost of Nixon still walks the beaches in sockless penny-loafers and a metal detector humming "big Girls Don't Cry").

We have a small but humble abode but it can accomodate a family of four or five without a penny of cost. We have a pool and a hot tub and great music. Hot showers, and laundry. Food. Beer. etc. If you want someone to host you to Hollywood and experience the HOB, or the Graumann Chinese theater with the foot/hand prints etc and the stars of fame I can help.

Anyway, the offer is out. No politics I promise. Just kindness and affordability. That is all I have to offer.
I'm thinking of taking a trip, do you take in atheists?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Mr. Average wrote:Wow WSS hit it outta the park. Especially the part about Ameoba records in LA. If you are serious to coming to Dana point, Thats where I hang my hat, and I can secure a beautiful roon at the Laguna Cliffs Resort and Spa at a decent rate with enough advance notice. I have some connections.

Thanks Mr A a very kind offer. However, the hotels are all booked and paid for through the travel firm. I have an old school friend who lives in Huntington Beach and we have already accepted her offer to show us the sights etc.

Nevertheless, if the itinery allows I'll send you a PM and we can arrange to meet for a beer or 2. 8)
corruptio optimi pessima