Thar She Blows!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Goody2Shoes

Thar She Blows!

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Looks like Isabel is headed right for us. Some people are so rude.

Wish me luck and send me "D" cells!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
A rope leash

She

Post by A rope leash »

Isabel has the potential to do a lot of damage to the company I work for.

O well, I'm still taking vacation next week. Goody, are you evacuating?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Batten down the hatches and take care, Goody. I've heard it's a'heddin for Washington.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Hang on tight, Goody! I'm hoping for the best for you and yours. Keep us posted! Hopefully you can just open up a nice bottle of wine and celebrate when it moves past. :wink:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

What to put in the evac bags??? all the reissues. your amazon confirmation for North. an emergency 6-pack. wipies. clean underwear. This public service announcement has been brought to you by the Moms of America Clean Underwear Club.

Take care of yourself!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

goody, you're in NC then? i've been worrying about the Tidewater VA area all week. that's my real home, you know. i just live in boston for the food, and employment, and culture..... but VA is home.

take care! batteries are your friends. as is a supply of water and interior rooms.

my alma mater (College of William and Mary) has closed, and ordered all students out of the dorms. if they can't leave campus, they have to stay at the auditorium/concert hall. can you imagine setting that up????? glad it's not me.

best wishes!
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

great, when goody finally posts a photo of herself she is gonna be all wet and seaweedy and horizonal like gilligan hangin' on a palm tree.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

I'm not Goody Two Shoes, but I am on the East Coast. Suburban Washington DC, to be specific. And right now, its pouring outside, with an occasional rumble. I've seen footage from North Carolina and VA Beach, and the storm is amazing to look at, but the destruction is intense.

Around here, it's not bad. Earlier we had the front door open, and the cool air was blowing in through the screen. It felt so pleasant, and I swear I caught an occasional whiff of ocean air.

As usual, panic ensued around here when news of the hurricane first hit. I swear, these people love being in a crisis. We're too far inland for any serious damage to occurr, aside from flooding, but I doubt that after everything is over flooding is going to be as much of a problem as some fear. Maybe I'm just bitter because everyone gets tomorrow off and I won't. (I swear everyone in No.VA celebrated Isabel's arrival today with a trip to Starbucks.)

I do hope Goody is all right, I'm not quite sure exactly where she is. And if anything noteworthy happens, I shall post again.
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Poppet! Your school has been the only one mine's been able to beat so far this year!

It's so weird watching the weather channel, seeing this awesome weather, and then looking out the window and it's a beautiful calm sunny day in michigan. What a country.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Goody:

If you're out there and have electricity, please let us know you're okay!!
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Yeah, we're here, and inexplicably, we have electricity. We were out for about 4 hours yesterday, but it came on and stayed on all night. No water, though.

We live in the Richmond suburbs, so we weren't required to evacuate due to flooding or anything like that. We would not have been able to evacuate if we needed to, anyway, because one of our cars was smashed by a tree, and the other one is blocked by that same tree that fell across the driveway. Almost all of our neighbors have trees on their houses, holes in roofs, etc. But we are all okay, and we have power! Yippee!!

We had wind gusts up to about 70, I think, and 8 inches of rain, so all my big trees have uprooted and are down. Almost everyone has some roof damage, and there are many smashed cars.

It was a hell of a night. I'm still wearing the clothes I slept in; did not want rescue workers finding my dead, naked body in the rubble of my smashed house.

We have a chainsaw-wielding neighbor who's gonna come move enough tree so we can at least get out if we need to.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's concern. I just need a drink and some sleep. I do not ever want to do this again. Big cyber hugs to all of you. :)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Goody: Thank God you're allright. I kept thinking of you all last night and this morning while watching the news reports. Cars can be replaced. :)

Take care and keep us posted.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

LessThanZero wrote:Poppet! Your school has been the only one mine's been able to beat so far this year!
well, of course. i expect it's the same now as when i was a student - athletics are NOT important, it's grade-grubbing that rules.

the only place worse is where i now work, MIT. did you know there's a football team here? i think they play high schools or something equally lame. :)

however, their arts program rocks. geek artists are cool.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

glad to hear you are okay Goody! sleep well, you deserve it.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Goody2Shoes wrote:It was a hell of a night. I'm still wearing the clothes I slept in; did not want rescue workers finding my dead, naked body in the rubble of my smashed house.
So does that mean you went to sleep all dressed up? That would be awesome, I can hear the rescue workers now: "well, she may be dead, but wasn't that the cutest outfit you ever did see?" Gingerly moving your corpse out of the way so they can check out the tag on your shirt.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

yikes MBA, that's dark! I like it!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

It's funny, but just as I read this, my flat was shaken by an earthquake, and I'm sitting here wearing nothing but my underpants.
Worry ye not, earthquakes are common in Japan, and this one just rocked the flat for 40 seconds or so. Still, I'd hate to have been found like this.
Where's North from 'ere?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Well, you do remember my accident story - broken arm and all. You always get told to wear clean underwear in case of an accident and then. . . . .

Seriously, glad your flat stopped shaking. Now for God's sake, go get some pants on man!!!! :wink:
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

miss buenos aires wrote: So does that mean you went to sleep all dressed up?
Dressed up in the sense of "not naked or wearing ratty pj's", not dressed up in anything like formalwear. No, just regular clothes. I was seriously afraid that we might have to evacuate, and I didn't want to waste time changing clothes before we had to get out.

I will consider dressing like the characters in "The Thin Man" next time--evening gowns, high heels, what have you. I would love for people to think that I wear shorts and button-down shirts for most of my public existence, but dress in evening wear at home!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I have always wanted to have a tacky dress up party--so next time, Goody, let me know and I'll stuff Mr. Swung in baby blue tuxedo, stuff myself into something flamboyant and sequiny, and we'll be there!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Sometimes when I'm feeling down, I dress up, put on makeup, my wig, and lounge around the house, feeling morosely glamorous. Then I go to the supermarket so that people will see me and wonder, "where's she off to?" If I'm really down, out come the elbow-length black satin gloves.