Beyond Belief

Pretty self-explanatory
Mikeh

Beyond Belief

Post by Mikeh »

What ever happened to Mark Perry and Mike Bodayle who ran the Beyond Belief fanzine?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

They are both in great form , last I heard. Mark regularly contributes criminally funny comments to listserv . Mike sends me fab. compilation cds of alt. country and recordings of shows, including Jesse Winchester and Laura Cantrell. Both enjoyed producing the mag. but , ultimately, felt the 'net overtook it's function. I'll ask them if they'd like to tell more.
mbodayle

Still Alive and Well

Post by mbodayle »

Just don't have the obsession with EC that I once had. And for two reasons - one that I realized my obsession was a bit unhealthy as they say and two as I find EC's activities a bit boring these days. I do miss working with Mark Perry though. The magazine was sure fun but it really took its toll on us all.

Still rabid about music and just love living in the Nashville area. Lots of great pop music coming out of this town. Check out Swan Dive, Josh Rouse and The Bees if you haven't yet.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mark Perry tells me -

Make something up. I've no idea what happened to him!

Y'see , barrel of laughs etc.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Beyond Belief was a fantastic magazine. I'm not sure I'd agree that the webbernet took over its function though.

I miss it.

I know what Mike means about the obsession though - although with respect to some of Beyond Belief's contributors I was not in the same league (and had no desire to be!!!).

I find that some days I wonder why I'm so intent on having so many bootlegs and then on others am pleased that I do.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Re: Beyond Belief

Post by johnfoyle »

http://musiccitymike.net/beyond-belief- ... o-fanzine/

Beyond Belief—The Elvis Costello Fanzine

Beyond Belief was an important and authoritative EC fanzine that published 28 issues between 1995 and 2001. This is a set of all remaining issues directly from the publisher and includes all but the sold out issues #2, 3 and 4. I will however include color photocopies of these three missing issues.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

$25 plus shipping is an excellent price -- a fraction of what it cost to subscribe to the whole run back in the day.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

wardo68 wrote:$25 plus shipping is an excellent price -- a fraction of what it cost to subscribe to the whole run back in the day.
Completely agree, and especially recommend my article on Lou Dalgleish in the final issue.

Of course when Beyond Belief first started publishing, the internet had barely been invented, and the World Wide Web did not exist, so if you wanted to follow EC's various tours and read about new releases and obscure collaborations, BB was the only way to do it (although subscribers to ECIS might disagree).

After that came Costello-L, the Elvis Costello Home Page, and now the Wiki and this forum, but there is still a certain pleasure in being able to hold in your hands a real "fanzine" written by fans, for fans.

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

I agree - Beyond Belief was a fantastic magazine. I have all of the editions in the blue box with all of the cards. I need to dig them out!
cwr

Post by cwr »

Let's not forget the "Elvis Costello A to Z" feature, sadly cut short by the end of BB.

I had always hoped that it would be completed and released in book form.
krm

Post by krm »

Man out of Time wrote:
wardo68 wrote:
Of course when Beyond Belief first started publishing, the internet had barely been invented, and the World Wide Web did not exist, so if you wanted to follow EC's various tours and read about new releases and obscure collaborations, BB was the only way to do it (although subscribers to ECIS might disagree).
BB started in 1995 and by then ECIS had been active for 15 years. And dont forget the "talking in the Dark" and "clubland" fanzines :-). That was the essential evening reading during the student years in the eighties!!!
verbal gymnastics

I've never heard of the Talking in the Dark and Clubland magazines.

What were they like?

I could never get into ECIS although I got to meet Sulky Lad through it. Not sure if that was a good thing or not :lol: :wink:
krm

Post by krm »

read this vg! To call them magazines is pushing it a bit too far. We´re talking eighties, xerox, and letraset here!

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... it=fanzine

short summary
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I could never get into ECIS although I got to meet Sulky Lad through it. Not sure if that was a good thing or not
He loves me really, even if I forgot EC played "Money" at Liverpool in 1986 :lol: