...and new from the "What The Fuck? Department"

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

...and new from the "What The Fuck? Department"

Post by Mike Boom »

From Billboard magazine - Modern rock outfit Modest Mouse will return Dec. 19 with its highly anticipated new Epic album, "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank."

It's the follow-up to the band's 2004 mainstream breakthrough, "Good News for People Who Love Bad News," which has sold 1.5 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The new album was recorded at Sweet Tea Studios in Oxford, Miss., and, as previously tipped here, features the contributions of former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr. Marr has since become an official member of Modest Mouse and will tour with the band in the future.

....Sweet Tea Studios sounds familiar .... but Johhny what are you doing?
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Adding a grain of continued relevance to his career perhaps? I heard about this a few months ago and think Marr's move is pretty brilliant, actually. Haven't heard much Modest Mouse but I think they are pretty cutting edge.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I haven't seen the film "Hollywoodland" but my reaction was exactly "What the fuck ?!" to the news that Ben Affleck was named Best Actor at the Venice Film Festival.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Adding a grain of continued relevance to his career perhaps? I heard about this a few months ago and think Marr's move is pretty brilliant, actually. Haven't heard much Modest Mouse but I think they are pretty cutting edge.
I wouldnt call Modest Mouse cutting edge, more like decidedly "meh" indie rock. I thought he was doing quite well with his own band "the Healers".

What he SHOULD do is quit fannying about with 2nd division college bands and start writing songs with his old mucker Morrissey again.
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hard to disagree, but I just don't think Moz would ever do it, nor ever forgive him for ending the Smiths. But maybe with time the healer...

Who exactly are Modest Mouse? It's a true shame that while the Moz continues to inspire and entertain, Marr has largely wasted his solo career. A few low-key collaborations, but where's anything remotely reflecting the genius that made The Smiths the combo they were? Nowhere. Can't think of one memorable thing to tank alongside any moment of Smiths genius. Healers just sounded average to me, though haven't heard much. It's almost as if he's recognised that he can't do it without Moz.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

His contribution to Kirsty's Walking Down Madison is fabulous. However, I don't think he's bothered about being a 'guitar hero', he's just a happy cult.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Who exactly are Modest Mouse?
They had a hit with the song "Float On", which was rather catchy, but I doubt it will last long - I mean how long was Marr in The Pretenders, or The The?

That song "On the Corner" the Healers do is great ... but in the end he's never gonna find a better collaborator that Mozzer, so why not?
echos myron like a siren
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Love the last two Modest Mouse records, and this strikes me as great news for people who loved Good News for People Who Love Bad News. Best news since Johnny Marr joined The The for Dusk.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... 0s_classic

Now I actually quite like "the Walkmen" but the news that having completed their new album they have recorded a note for note recreation of the Harry Nilsson, Lennon produced classic "Pussy Cats" for release Oct 24 begs the questions, WHAT THE FUCK? and WHY???
echos myron like a siren
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Id never noticed this - the blocks with a D and an S on them seperated by a RUG. Hmmmmm...
echos myron like a siren
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Mike Boom wrote:[

Now I actually quite like "the Walkmen"
(File under: Name Dropping.) I don't really know the Walkmen yet, but I reckon I will, cause the lead singer's marrying my cousin next month in NYC!
Otis Westinghouse

Lost In Boston by them on current Word sampler.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

cause the lead singer's marrying my cousin next month in NYC!
Well, at the wedding, the first thing you should say to him is, "Pussy Cats is a great fucking album as it is and doesnt need to be remade by ANYONE, ... its SACRILEGE I TELL YA!!", then flounce off and be forever known to him as Her Mad Cousin Grace.
echos myron like a siren
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I dunno.. for fun?

It's a covers album, only rather than covering various artists or songs they're covering an entire album note-for-note. I don't see anything wrong with that. Mary Lee's Corvette did the exact same thing (though it was live) with Blood on the Tracks a few years ago. I'm sure they're not out to prove the earlier Pussy Cats album irrelevant. Plus as you said The Walkmen are a good group. It'd be different if Christina Aguilera decided to redo Pet Sounds and it ended up being a smash hit.

Chances are the only people who are going to notice this Walkmen release are Walkmen fans and the fringe audience, so may as well let them have some fun.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

But the thing is, that Mary Lee's Corvette wasnt a re-creation as such - her versions were in some cases radically different to Dylans originals.

If you listen to the Walkmen's version of "Many Rivers To Cross" it reproduces the sound/arrangement/instrumentation/vocal exactly.
Thats what I see as being pointless, unless they are trying to learn how it was done, in which case go ahead , but why release it?

Christina doing Pet Sounds Id like to hear!
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

Yeah, there's mileage in that one.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Here's something that actually belongs here:

New Beck Album Denied U.K. Chart Eligibility

October 04, 2006, 5:45 PM ET

Chris M. Walsh, N.Y.

Beck's new Interscope album, "The Information," could sell a million copies next week and still not be considered for placement on the U.K. album chart. The U.K.'s Official Chart Company (OCC) has ruled that the album contains cover art and packaging that give it an "unfair advantage" and therefore will not be eligible to chart in the region.

The unique packaging includes four random sticker sets designed by artists handpicked by Beck, allowing fans to customize their own album covers.

"It's an unconventional package, but it shouldn't be penalized for that," says Beck. "Any art on a CD is an incentive to buy and listen. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. The response from the fans has been so strong, and that is the most important thing."

The problematic packaging will not provoke an omission from any Billboard chart, according to director of charts/senior analyst Geoff Mayfield.
Mechanical Grace

The latest Ron Sexsmith record came out in the UK in, what, August? July? It comes out here in JANUARY.

No wonder the poor guy doesn't sell a lot of records!

WTF????
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

It's strange - you get these guys from over on this side of the Atlantic that seem to get more marketing push abroad than they do here. Micah P. Hinson's another one. The most recent TV on the Radio album also came out in the UK a month or two before it did over here.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Mechanical Grace wrote:The latest Ron Sexsmith record came out in the UK in, what, August? July? It comes out here in JANUARY.

No wonder the poor guy doesn't sell a lot of records!

WTF????
Time Being? Really? It's been out in Canada since May. Not that I have it yet, being the idiot I am! But I bet you could order it from here for not too much.
Mechanical Grace

Yeah, I could plunk down $20 for the import, or get a free copy from one of you fine people, but what bugs me is that I want to support Ron in the US by actually GIVING THEM MONEY FOR THE RECORD and they're providing a massive disincentive.

Note to record execs: wake up and smell the globalization.
Otis Westinghouse

Best to order off a UK site, Amazon, or HK-based CD-WOW, if they have it, or from north of the border. I'd send you a copy, but you know I have a moral obligation to Ron and his royalties. I only give a Tower of Ron to encourage future sales, e.g. to chums who I'm getting to come to the forthcoming gig here.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yeah, I've found CD Wow to be the best for imports. Got Stephen Fretwell and Shack from them and just ordered the Charlotte Gainsbourg album as well.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

£7.99, free delivery.

A very beautiful record. Not quite as consistent as Retriever, it drifts a bit in the second half, but still classic Ron.
Mechanical Grace

Otis Westinghouse wrote:£7.99, free delivery.
So kind of you to offer! Seriously, for the extra 2 bucks, I'll think I'll buy the import from my beloved Newbury Comics, which saves me so much money on music it's not even funny.