Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin RIP

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin RIP

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jesus, what a way to go! Can't say I'm shocked...

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed

Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous bard on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Crew members aboard the boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later, Stainton said.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter." First broadcast in Australia in 1992, the program was picked up by the Discovery network, catapulting Irwin to international celebrity.

He rode his image into a feature film, 2002's "The Crocodile Hunters: Collision Course" and developed the wildlife park that his parents opened, Australia Zoo, into a major tourist attraction.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," Stainton told reporters in Cairns. "He died doing what he loved best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. He would have said, 'Crocs Rule!'"

Prime Minister John Howard, who hand-picked Irwin to attend a gala barbecue to honor President Bush when he visited in 2003, said he was "shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death."

"It's a huge loss to Australia," Howard told reporters. "He was a wonderful character. He was a passionate environmentalist. He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

Irwin, who made a trademark of hovering dangerously close to untethered crocodiles and leaping on their backs, spoke in rapid-fire bursts with a thick Australian accent and was almost never seen without his uniform of khaki shorts and shirt and heavy boots.

His ebullience was infectious and Australian officials sought him out for photo opportunities and to promote Australia internationally.

Irwin's public image was dented, however, in 2004 when he caused an uproar by holding his infant son in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen. Irwin claimed at the time there was no danger to the child, and authorities declined to charge Irwin with violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

Stingrays have a serrated, toxin-loaded barb, or spine, on the top of their tail. The barb, which can be up to 10 inches long, flexes if a ray is frightened. Stings usually occur to people when they step on or swim too close to a ray and can be excruciatingly painful but are rarely fatal, said University of Queensland marine neuroscientist Shaun Collin.

Collin said he suspected Irwin died because the barb pierced under his ribcage and directly into his heart.

"It was extraordinarily bad luck. It's not easy to get spined by a stingray and to be killed by one is very rare," Collin said.

News of Irwin's death spread quickly, and tributes flowed from all quarters of society.

At Australia Zoo at Beerwah, south Queensland, floral tributes were dropped at the entrance, where a huge fake crocodile gapes. Drivers honked their horns as they passed.

"Steve, from all God's creatures, thank you. Rest in peace," was written on a card with a bouquet of native flowers.

"We're all very shocked. I don't know what the zoo will do without him. He's done so much for us, the environment and it's a big loss," said Paula Kelly, a local resident and volunteer at the zoo, after dropping off a wreath at the gate.

Stainton said Irwin's American-born wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., had been informed of his death, and had told their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

The couple met when she went on vacation in Australia in 1991 and visited Irwin's Australia Zoo; they were married six months later. Sometimes referred to as the "Crocodile Huntress," she costarred on her husband's television show and in his 2002 movie.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

crikey!

seriously bad luck.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I must say that I thought he might live forever - he just seemed to always avoid disaster.

My youngest, Justin, 12, wants to be a zoologist one day. He watches Animal Planet religiously. All four of my kids were just stunned this morning when they found out the news. Even Jessica said, "He can't be dead. He's the freakin' Crocodile Hunter."

I'm sure there are those who were annoyed by him and didn't agree with what he did, but I don't know that he was meant to be anything else. It was just sort of his destiny. Watching my nephew, now 6 but only 19 months old when my brother died, grow up without a father makes me feel horrible for his kids. He did love animals and he loved what he did, dangerous or not. He would probably have rather died like that than lying in a bed wasting away to cancer, you know?

RIP
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

He annoyed the piss out of me - however, anyone who fights for the enviroment like he did is a hero is my book.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

It's one of those shows I loved to hate watching when there was nothing else to do. You'd tend to root for the animals as he's getting too close, shaking them about and (as seen on South Park) shoving a finger up their assholes. He obviously had it coming (the title of the show he was filming was a bit of a hint if nothing else), but of course it's a great loss. RIP.

PS. Crocs rule!
What this world needs is more silly men.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

A history of wrecklessness and what was tantamount to a death wish, he tempted fate one time too many. Stupid. His behavior was shameful for a father of two. Purposely agitating venemous and deadly animals is the antithesis of demonstrating respect for nature and for God's creatures.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Please don't let Mr. Average deliver my eulogy... :D
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

It's Eu-googaly, Derek.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I remember an episode where he had a Kimodo Dragon on a fishing line, like he was taking it for a walk! It turned on him (surprise!) and as he scarpered up a tree it took a lump out of his boot.

That's entertainment!

RIP
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I was really sad to hear the news. I really enjoyed his programmes, his enthusiasm and dedication to nature was a breath of fresh air. I only hope his wife and children can cope with the loss :(
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

His entire livelihood was a risk. I had to stop paying attention a few years back when I heard about this, which almost got him criminal charges:
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiap ... e.baby.ap/

Still, it's a pity his young children have to grow up without a father.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Some are called to live ordinary lives, without risk or challenge or danger. He had a passion for what he did and though he was often viewed in a negative light, his accomplishments for the environment and conservation certainly outweighed anything that he did which ever pissed anyone off.

Mr. A, with all due respect, just because we are parents doesn't mean that we must put on our spectacles, sit in our rockers and never dare to go to the edge again. We could get killed running snacks to the soccer team or in a parking lot from a random robbery at the mall.

I don't think everything he did was smart, but I admired his passion for life and all living things.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

There is a HUGE difference between living life passionately and living life on the edge of disaster, tempting the ultimate fate...death as a way to drive revenue. As a parent, I have a responsibility to NOT sit in the rocker and avoid the thrill of living. And as a parent, I have a responsibility to maximize the liklihood that I will live to see my children grow to adulthood, and to have me there as a Father to help them when they fall, as they are there to help me when I fall. If today I decided that I enjoyed ADAA Dodgeball and decided to run across Interstate 405 during morning rush to practice, I have failed in a core responsibility I absorbed when I decided to bring another life into this world. I owe them more than 23 chromosomes and a "Y". I owe them my presence to the best of my ability to ensure it. As well, they deserve it.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

or if you decided to join the army.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

or if you eat Coco Wheats
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

or cross the road
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
wes

Post by wes »

I can't say as I'm shocked of his death, but from a stingray? I mean there are cruises in the Caribbean where you get to swim with them and they seem like very gentle creatures.

Hate to be a jackass, but you have to wonder if Steve provoked the stingray considering he has a tendency to do so.

Oh and the Subway commericals he was in got pulled rather quick.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i like to eat at the Y.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I enjoy crossing the road in order to eat Coco Wheats at the Y. It's in my chromosomes, I presume.

I've had the opportunity to swim with stingrays (very gentle creatures with a bite like a hicky) and feed them by hand and have been stung by one, but not in the same instance.

I have never wrestled with a crocodile, but have eaten alligator tails within a few hundred miles of the spot that I fed the stingrays.

I'm not sure if any of this really means anything.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

LessThanZero wrote:or if you eat Coco Wheats
I prefer Coco Krispies, which I feel is a safer alternative.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I just think it was really sad when the dingo took his baby that time.

Oh wait...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Mr. Average wrote:There is a HUGE difference between living life passionately and living life on the edge of disaster, tempting the ultimate fate...death as a way to drive revenue. As a parent, I have a responsibility to NOT sit in the rocker and avoid the thrill of living. And as a parent, I have a responsibility to maximize the liklihood that I will live to see my children grow to adulthood, and to have me there as a Father to help them when they fall, as they are there to help me when I fall. If today I decided that I enjoyed ADAA Dodgeball and decided to run across Interstate 405 during morning rush to practice, I have failed in a core responsibility I absorbed when I decided to bring another life into this world. I owe them more than 23 chromosomes and a "Y". I owe them my presence to the best of my ability to ensure it. As well, they deserve it.
The odd thing is that he died NOT tempting fate. He was swimming above what is normally considered a relatively sedate creature (the Stingray) and video inspected by the police has led them to confirm that he was in no way aggravating it...there are only two or three recorded deaths by Stingray in Australia over the past century.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/ ... 31818.html
Police ruled out the possibility that Irwin had aggravated the ray during filming for a TV documentary. "There is no evidence that Mr Irwin was intimidating or threatening the stingray," Queensland Police superintendent Michael Keating said. "My advice is that he was observing the stingray."
On the flip-side, he was one of the true environmentalists, using most of his earnings to purchase tracts of land for preservation to protect both the flora and fauna. So while you may have disliked his taunting of crocodiles etc, he has to be admired for his committment to protecting the future of this planet.
Last edited by Tim(e) on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

In honor of Steve, I have decided to change my avatar using footage just in of his last minutes before departing this mortal coil.
seaweasel

Post by seaweasel »

Even if he did do stuff with a lot of dangerous animals, it doesn't seem like the stingray is usually one of them, I think Steve was only the 3rd person to die in Australia from an attack. Whatever you think of his TV and film stuff, he did do a lot for wildlife, I was reading that he lobbied the Australian government to abandon a crocodile hunting bill although it was something he did without any fuss, and it was only publicised when someone accidentally found out through a freedom of information request related to it.