A brief tour for Tom Waits

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

A brief tour for Tom Waits

Post by BlueChair »

Aug. 1: Atlanta (Tabernacle)
Aug. 2: Asheville, N.C. (Thomas Wolfe Auditorium)
Aug. 4: Memphis (Orpheum Theatre)
Aug. 5: Nashville (Ryman Auditorium)
Aug. 7: Louisville (Palace Theatre)
Aug. 9: Chicago (Auditorium Theatre)
Aug. 11: Detroit (Opera House)
Aug. 13: Akron, Ohio (Civic Theatre)

If you are near these cities and at all a fan of Tom's, you would be wise to go to one of these shows considering how rarely he tours.

http://www.anti.com/news.php?id=186
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

New York? Please!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Tickets aren't on sale yet for Nashville or Memphis, but I am going to do my everything to be at one of those shows. I can't believe this!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

He recently did a one off show in the UK which sold out almost immediately (despite the £85 ticket price). Tickets promptly went on ebay :roll:

Good luck y'all.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Tickets for Atlanta are $60-$65 (US) and tickets for Detroit are $72. Not bad when you consider what Elvis charges these days.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Thanks for the heads up, Blue. This tour is in my neck of the woods, being in St. Louis. Told the Mrs. today that this would make for my perfect birf-day present, a trip to either Memphis, Louisville, or Chicago (all being aprox. equi-distant from my fair city). I've been a huge Tom Waits fan for 20 some years. Would love to see him live, and never thought I would. Thanks again.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Nashville tickets go on sale next Friday at noon. Kinda steep (72 bucks and 44 for 'obscured view seats'). Still worth it- I'm gonna give it a try.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I got tickets! At the Ryman! I can't believe it! I can't stop using exclamation points!

(calming down): Seriously though, seeing Tom Waits live is something I had given up on a few years ago. Seemed like he only played in places like Amsterdam and Antwerp anymore. I cannot wait for this show. It'll also be my first at the Ryman. Seats are good, Row G in the balcony, right on the center aisle. I'll be happy just to be in the same zip code, truth be told.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I am green with envy, pophead! Be sure to give us the full report when the show comes around.
Emotional Toothpaste

I'm going to try for tickets tomorrow morning for the Chicago show. Wish me luck. Memphis sold out quick.

Good for you Pop. I was kinda thinking the same thing -- I had pretty much written off ever being able to make a Waits show.

Anyone have any tips for securing tickets thru Ticketmaster? Get on-line and call at the same time?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I always have much better luck online than over the phone. Just make sure you're online and ready to go on ticketmaster's site a good five minutes or so before onsale time. And just keep refreshing.. (but not too much.. they have an annoying script that disables the page if you try again too quickly)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Blue's advice is good- I got my online, refreshing at exactly 12 o'clock as tickets went on sale. I've tried this many times, mostly to no avail, but I lucked out this time.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Jealous, jealous, jealous! Well done! I guess TW is the person I most want to see. Bjork a close second. Oh, and Neil Young.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Just to make you jealous, Otis: I saw Tom at the Circus. I saw Björk in the street. Neil once gave me bouquet of tulips (after a gig where he was literally foaming at the mouth playing Sedan Delivery).
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Can I kill you?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

No, I'm invincible.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Emotional Toothpaste

What a frustrating way to buy tickets.

Finally got through to ticketwaster on the phone -- Chicago tickets kept coming up unavailable on the website. After repeated busy signals by phone for 25 minutes, I got thru, at 9:18 a.m., and managed to get 2 limited view seats, separated by 2 rows, in the 2nd balcony. $173.51

What a racket.

This better be good.

I guess I could always go on ebay and sell them for $500 like everyone else.
Emotional Toothpaste

Responding to my own post:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/action/art ... le_id=3116

Tom Waits Tickets Bought on eBay Won't Be Accepted
Many of the the Tom Waits tickets that have been purchased via resale sites such as eBay and StubHub.com will not be accepted at Waits’ upcoming shows.

Because all eight dates of his tour immediately sold out, tickets have been available for sale through resale sites and ticket brokers. Many tickets sold from these entities are assumed to be fraudulent, and some tickets may also be counterfeit.

All premium tickets for Waits’ shows, as well as all tickets for the Atlanta, Detroit and Louisville shows must be obtained at the venue on the evening of the show. Only the original buyer will be allowed to pick up the ticket and must show a valid photo ID as well as the credit card information used to buy the ticket.

There will be no exceptions, as the severe anti-scalping procedures were detailed before the official ticket sale dates. The venues, management, label, promoter and Waits are striving to catch scalpers and get the face value tickets to the fans. However, they will not be responsible for fixing problems with counterfeit tickets or fraudulent sale of tickets.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Brilliant - I hope this works.

It will be difficult because there will almost always be some way to beat the system but it's a good start.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Anybody see the Atlanta show? Reports?
Emotional Toothpaste

Blue - There are a few reports from this new site: http://blackrider23.com/tomwaitsfantemp/

While scanning through the ticket section of that forum - it was reported that a pair of Waits tickets sold on eBay for $2850.00
Thats Barbara Streisand territory!
:lol:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Apparently Tom's band on the current tour includes his 21-year-old son Casey on drums.
newlacesleeves

Tom Waits set list...

Post by newlacesleeves »

The set list from the georgia show...

Make It Rain (Real Gone)
Hoist that Rag (Real Gone)
Shore Leave (Swordfishtrombone)
God's Away on Business (Blood Money)
November (Black Rider)
'Til the Money Runs Out (Heartattack and Vine)
Blue Valentine (Blue Valentine)
Lucky Day* (Lucky Day)
Tango til they're Sore* (Rain Dogs)
House Where Nobody Lives* (Mule Variations)
Don't Go into that Barn (Real Gone)
Who’s Been Talkin’ (Howlin’ Wolf cover)
Whislin' Past the Graveyard (Blue Valentine)
9th & Hennepin (Rain Dogs)
Trampled Rose (Real Gone)
Get Behind the Mule (Mule Variations)
Murder in the Red Barn (Bone Machine)
Shake It (Real Gone)
--(encore 1)
Singapore (Rain Dogs)
Goin' Out West (Bone Machine)
--(encore 2)
Day After Tomorrow (Real Gone)
Heartattack & Vine (Spoonful tease) (Heartattack & Vine)

*Tom on piano, Larry Taylor on upright bass
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Thanks for sharing, NLS
newlacesleeves

Post by newlacesleeves »

no problemo. Hopefully he decides to swing by nyc.