Elvis on BBCTV Newsnight , Mon. May 29th

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis on BBCTV Newsnight , Mon. May 29th

Post by johnfoyle »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/n ... efault.stm

I just stumbled on this via. Feedster . I don't know how soon the link to the 'watch again' section will change over tonight ( Tuesday's) show...so watch as soon as possible!

After an intro. comment from Jeremy Paxman at the start about Costello's latest ' musical modulations' , fast forward about 38 minutes to the recorded segment , presented by Stephen Smith. Starting with Elvis 'n Allen performing RIR , we get a voice over about Elvis 'dipping his nib in vitriol'. After other comments about Elvis raising a glass of acid to the New Orelans authorities , we get extracts from the Pump It Up and Olivers Army videos , after Elvis laughs at the interviewer asking if he has re-discovered 'his inner punk'. Extracts from past BBC performances , including Pills and Soap and Georgia with his Dad ( 'no, it's not the young Fidel Castro' comments Smith) lead to queries about whether RIR is a 'cross-over too far', whether he needs a Roman slave whispering in his ear that we are but dust ( or some such allusion). A Dan Cairns from The Sunday Times is shown saying that though Elvis can write great songs 'what the poor dear can't do is sing them.' After saying that he has written a song called' Dust ' saying just that , Elvis responds that he doesn't need a Roman slave or a Chorus telling him what to do , especially not from the country of his birth , which, he points out , is no longer the place where he lives. With a further comment from Elvis about England not being the whole world, and something about people there being narrow minded with a 'culture that is too pleased with itself' the report finishs with a comment about Elvis having added a 'southern soul' album to his extensive discography.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

It's being torrented here. You may need a widescreen tv to fit in the chip on Elvis' shoulder.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sounds awful. I can't blame him for having a chip on his shoulder.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

The video that was posted to DIME is fantastic. The footage of El and his pops is priceless. And yes, there is sort of a resemblance to Fidel in that shot, but why mention that? It's kind of amusing how the British press demonstrates the very snobbishness that Elvis loathes. Good for Elvis firing back the way he did! That's some ugly "journalism." Overall, very intriguing and quite informative - but kinda for the wrong reasons.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Yes, it's a good example of how awful most of mainstream music coverage on UK tv has become. Loads of smartarse remarks and putdowns, they even got the graphics wrong in one clip. That Times idiot was priceless. 'Inner punk'-dear god, Toussants reaction is even more telling than Elvis. There and then Allen probably realised why Elvis chooses to live in America.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

You can watch the news report here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/default.stm

...but I don't know how long for.
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

"Bacharachian genre"..."what the poor dear can't do is sing them..."

What a tosser!!! Makes ME want to move out of England...

(But then so does the weather...Hailstones in May!?!?)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I spoke to Elvis with a friend of mine after a show a few years ago and he definitely has the impression that he is not appreciated in England.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?