Elvis, Diana and Bill Clinton, Vancouver, April 23, 2006

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis, Diana and Bill Clinton, Vancouver, April 23, 2006

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c4996.html

Diana Krall leads charity event for VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation to benefit drive for 'made-in-B.C. cures' for blood-related cancers

Diana to be joined by friends Tony Bennett, Elton John, husband Elvis
Costello and former U.S. President William J. Clinton

( extract)

VANCOUVER, March 7 /CNW/ - Diana Krall and some of the world's most noted
performers and humanitarians will focus the spotlight on fundraising for
VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation to help pioneer "made-in-B.C. cures" for
blood-related cancers and diseases at Vancouver General Hospital. Diana will
be joined by her friends Tony Bennett, Elton John, husband Elvis Costello and
former U.S. President William J. Clinton at a private sold-out black tie
charity benefit concert and auction at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver on
Sunday, April 23, 2006.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Wow, the circles Elv moves in these days... So will Bill be on sax?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:... So will Bill be on sax?
No - he has to inhale :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bobster

Post by bobster »

Good one, Verbal.

One thing about Clinton, I think it's safe to say that he plays saxophone the way the his successor governs. :oops: :cry:
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Get bidding !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-tickets-to-An-E ... dZViewItem

An Evening with

DIANA KRALL & FRIENDS

Tony Bennett, Elton John and Elvis Costello

With special guest,

former United States President William J. Clinton

Diana Krall and some of the world's most noted performers and humanitarians are focusing the spotlight on fundraising for VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation to help pioneer "made-in-B.C. cures" for blood-related cancers and diseases at Vancouver General Hospital.

Bid on a pair of tickets worth $2,000 (Canadian) to attend the private black tie charity benefit An Evening with Diana Krall & Friends with Tony Bennett, Elton John, Elvis Costello and former U.S. President William J. Clinton at The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver on Sunday, April 23, 2006. The event includes a cocktail reception and exquisite dinner, silent and live auctions, and live performances in a small, intimate setting.

Starting bid: C $2,000.00
(Approximately US $1,720.13)

End time: Mar-27-06 09:00:00 PST

Ships to: Worldwide
Item location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
History: 0 bids
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Clinton offered to be there because he saw Diana's Christmas cd cover picture of her in that green dress. :lol:
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Clinton offered to be there because he saw Diana's Christmas cd cover picture of her in that green dress. :lol:

:lol:

Actually, it seems Clinton has been a DK fan for several years:

Diana's last album When I Look In Your Eyes sold over two million copies and picked up two Grammy Awards. She even received a letter on White House notepaper, offering Bill Clinton's congratulations. 'I'm delighted for you,' the President wrote. 'I always love seeing performers I admire get recognition for their talents. Keep up the wonderful work. You're terrific!' (4 February 2002, Birmingham Post)

Plus, unlike EC, he actually had a chance to meet Diana's mother, when DK took mom and dad to a White House Christmas dinner several years ago:

Dr. Shepherd [of VGH] remembers a story Mrs. Krall told after her visit to the White House. "She was using a cane at the time. It was right after Bill Clinton messed up his knee. There was a tap on her shoulder. It was Clinton. 'We're the two cripples in the room,' he said to her. She told me how nice it was to chat with him. She was just a happy, joyful person." (6 June 2002, The Globe and Mail, Adella Krall’s obituary)

(No, I seriously don't have anything better to do at work...)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://spaces.msn.com/booyahgrannie/Blog/cns/

April 24
What an amazing evening!

Last night was an amazing night! The Diana Krall and Friends event was more successful than anyone who was involved could have imagined. We raised approximately 2.5 million dollars for the Haematology Clinical Trials at VGH. They were hoping for $1 mil in proceeds, but that number was quickly shattered during the live and silent auction. The past 6 Diana Krall events pulled together about 1.3 million dollars, so this year's event was unprecedented.
Yesterday, my day started at 9am at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. During the morning, we set up the Auction and cocktail room, as the ballroom was set up the previous night. Both rooms looked stunning.
After lunch, finishing touches were applied all around as anticipation of the evening grew amongst the hard working events team.
My volunteer role for the night was being a Silent Auction Host. We had 84 items up for auction. At first, I was getting quite worried, as many of the items were not pulling in any bids. I think that proved to be a strategy for many. As the attendees mingled with their cocktails in hand and scoped out the various auction items and displays, they seemed to quickly be apart of a bidding frenzy on several items as the auction close time drew near. Within the last hour or so of the silent auction, the bids started to come in, many surpassing the item(s) actual retail value. Normally at an auction, an item will get about 40-60% of its retail value, but the rarity and exclusivity of certain items quickly saw the bid amount greatly exceed the retail value.
There was one family at the auction that were amazing. Their initial bids were far beyond the value of the item. For example, an item valued at about $1500 drew in a bid from them for $4000! And....there were no previous bids before them. The starting bid was $200. I was blown away. Another item they bid on was called "Breakfast at Tiffany's". This package was unique and rare, and garnered $75,000!!!! WOW is all I can say.
The Live auction was even more amazing. The Auctioneer was outstanding to say the least, and Elton John was so generous. For one of the auction items, Elton donated a Versace suit of his. Right before they started to auction this item off, Elton took the mic and made an annoucement. Him and his partner, David Furnish, were making an addendum to the auction package. They were going to add 7 days stay at his home in London, complete with use of his Chauffer, his chef, his complete staff, tickets to Billy Elliott, use of his whole home, including apparently the most beautiful pool you have ever seen. The bidding quickly started and ended in a war between these two people at $185,000. Elton then took the mic again and said, I have an offer for you. If you each bid $200,000, you can each have 7 days at my home etc etc etc, and they will throw in another suit. One of the people in the bidding frenzy jumped at the opportunity and the Auctioneer declared "SOLD!". The other fellow dropped out, and Elton said, well we need two people to bid $200,000 or no deal. Another attendee quickly jumped at this once in a lifetime opportunity, and $400,000 was made for the Foundation within those 10 minutes. Absolutely amazing.

After all the live auctions, the performances started. Elvis went first, then Diana, then some duets with Elton. Tony Bennett performed, followed by another duet. Then Elton sang several songs, then the whole group jived a little. It was once again, amazing. Also, Sarah McLaughlin sang "In the Arms of the Angel", which was my favourite performance of the night. I love that song, and hearing in the passion in her voice and seeing the emotion in her face brought a tear or two to my eyes.

Oh, Former President Bill Clinton spoke about philanthropy and the importance of it. It was an excellent speech, and his presence was the icing on the cake for a lot of people. But those Secret Service people are quite "hot" I must say. *Whistle*. Oh, Clinton also bid on a few auction items. He browsed the auction room with his entourage when it quieted down a bit.

Anyway, that is the jist of the night. It was amazing and the talk of the office today.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Elvis seems to have entered another world...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
migdd

Post by migdd »

Yeah, Otis, but it looks like a pretty good world!!! :wink:

Is it just me, or is Elvis smiling a LOT more these days???
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Yes, isn't it sad ? :wink:

And doesn't David Furnish look kinda different in the picture ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

invisible Pole wrote:And doesn't David Furnish look kinda different in the picture ?
He's looking quite hot. More of a David Furnace :lol:
John

Post by John »

The only hand we cannot see is Elvis' left - where could it be?
verbal gymnastics

Whose left hand is on Tony Bennett's shoulder because from the expression on Tony's face, someone has their hand up his bottom :lol:
John

Post by John »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Whose left hand is on Tony Bennett's shoulder because from the expression on Tony's face, someone has their hand up his bottom :lol:
Unfortunately I think that is Diana's hand on Tony Bennett's shoulder. :shock:

Also, why has Elvis resorted to his National Heath glasses again ?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Anyone know what Elvis sang?
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Re: Elvis, Diana and Bill Clinton, Vancouver, April 23, 2006

Post by scielle »

Krall Centre opens at Vancouver General Hospital -

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 16&k=52324