Baby

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
LessThanZero

Baby

Post by LessThanZero »

Wonderful board members.

You were here for the engagement. Well...one thing lead to another...and we are having a baby. I know, I know, people have babies all of the time, but I have to say, I'm elated.

Jody and I have had a hell of a year. My father-in-law was killed in an accident this summer, and it was an incredible loss. Every extra minute I could've spent with him would've made me a better person. I am just so glad that he accepted me pretty quickly, and I got to spend almost 4 amazing years in his presence. He said he was a humanist. He would lend a helping hand to anybody, and I mean anybody. He owned a blueberry farm, and hired any kind of "troubled teen" type that would ask for employment. It seems he never tired of giving people second, third, fourth, etc. chances. He taught me to be wary of people who 1)said that their way was the only way, and 2)wanted your money. Heck, he taught me how to drive a tractor. He was larger than life. And Jody had an amazing relationship with him.

This time of year is hard enough (especially for Jody) without him around, but this pregnancy is certainly helping. Hope.

Anyway, about 7 weeks into this pregnancy, Jody had a little cramping and trouble, so we went in for an ultrasound. The radiology doctor said that the baby's heart was beating WAY too slowly, and that it wasn't growing like it should. She said it would be a miscarriage. We went up to the OB doctor. She said it would be a miscarriage. So Jody and I just sat around the house for 3 days holding each other; watching TV. She cried and cried. Over the next few weeks, she was pretty depressed. Just sitting around waiting for a miscarriage. I decided after the 3rd day not to wait around for a miscarriage. "If they're right, they're right. But I'll stay positive. I was a tough pregnancy myself. They say God Himself was dead for three days. Anything can happen." The Noise's, MA's and Spooky's of our lives were faithfully praying. The RopeLeashes were staying positive and wishing us their best wishes. After weeks of nothing happening, we went back to the OB. She said that sometimes the woman's body just absorbes the fetus at an early stage, and there isn't really a miscarriage. So, before we schedule the D&C, let's take another ultrasound and see what's going on.

Oh my God. You have a healthy baby. Look! It was jumping and waving around, and we were so so happy.

The due date is around July 3, which was my father-in-law's birthday.

Since this child is taking such a sad song and making it better, if it's a boy, I'm naming him Jude. Jody picked the girl name: Grace.

The point of all this, is that so many of you are like very strange, Internet family member's to me. Blue and I were born to be brothers (or at least play them in the movies.) I always think of Muggy when I hear Stardust.
I'm eliciting your positive thoughts and prayers. Jody and I wish you all happy holidays and Stardust memories.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Congratulations, distant cousin!

(I'm spending christmas alone for the first time and reading stuff like this makes it more than bearable. Thanks for sharing.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Aw...I'm ecstatic for you, LTZ. My sister is pregnant (we're calling it Swimmy for the time being), and I'm keenly attuned to the roller coaster a pregnancy can put you through. Congratulations and enjoy your holidays!

P.S. My sister's due date is June 6th...
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Congrats. That's moving and lovely. It's more or less 6 years to the day since we conceived our last - happy memories! And now he's 5 and edible, spending his evening on my lap watching the Chronicles of Narnia and trying not to get scared. It's all too incredible to get your head round, really.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

That's just fantastic news!! I can't think of anyone who'd make a better daddy. You and Jody are in my thoughts for a trouble-free ride the rest of the way. I'm very sorry about your Dad-in-law; he sounds like he was a really good man. Family and friends... there's nothing more precious.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'm glad you finally decided to share the story, LTZ. I knew the board would be behind you. It's nice since most of us remember biting our nails during your engagement and now we can all wait for your news on the baby.

Take care of yourselves.

xoxoxoxoxo
bobster

Post by bobster »

Wow. My sympathies, and my congratulatons!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
A rope leash

Baby Chaos

Post by A rope leash »

It goes to show that you never know. Get all the sleep you can now.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Congrats LTZ. Man, you and Jody are in for a change. Enjoy your freedom while you can. There's nothing better than having children - and nothing more exhausting.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Congratulations, man. Very happy for you. I love the two I have (and that's ALL I'll have).
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Mazel tov and L'chayim
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Congrats for the baby LTZ. That's a moving story, thanks for sharing.
signed with love and vicious kisses
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Congratulations, LTZ! I'm also very sorry for the loss that your family has endured with the passing of your father-in-law. Sounds like he was a hell of a man. Please keep us updated! And don't forget to buy a copy of What To Expect When You're Expecting!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

congrats, LTZ!! that's a moving and beautiful story. wishing you and Jody and Jude/Grace the best.

p.s. What to Expect was my bible for 4 babies! El Vez just read the mushy parts.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

That's a great book, really indespensible. But I recommend throwing in another more lighthearted one to balance things out-- The Girlfriends Guide To Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine is a good one. Cause crucial though it is for the medical stuff, WTEWYE has a seriously facist attitude towards diet, saying things like "Don't feel guilty if you want to indulge in a little junk food, perhaps a bagel every once in a while." Um, excuse me, if a bagel is their idea of junk food, 90% of pregnant women are in deep doo-doo. :D What about coconut ice cream? The Iovine book is very good for reducing the regular gal freak-out factor(s).
Last edited by selfmademug on Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Fantastic news, LTZ. CONGRATULATIONS !!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

LTZ- Congratulations and best of luck to you and Jody.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Good news! Jody has BOTH of those publications. Unfortunately, she only gets in about one page of either before she's snoozing...I might have to read them and type up some bullet points or something!

You all are so very wonderful. Merry Christmas! (Happy holidays!)
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I'm a bit late with this - Blue and I are in Indiana for the holidays - but (from both of us):

CONGRATULATIONS! We're both so so happy for you, LTZ. I can't wait to hear all of your exhausted-new-parent stories :D
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Fantastic news LTZ... my two certainly have given me a renewed lease on life (at my age it is a matter of sink or swim and so far I haven't swallowed too much water ;))... I wholly recommend children as a great substitute for the fountain of youth.
bobster

Post by bobster »

selfmademug wrote:...Cause crucial though it is for the medical stuff, WTEWYE has a seriously facist attitude towards diet, saying things like "Don't feel guilty if you want to indulge in a little junk food, perhaps a bagel every once in a while."
Sounds like creeping antisemitism to me. :) (Smiling face resorted to because I don't actualy think that food fascists are neccessarily antisemites.)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Na na na na na...Hey Jude! Congratulations!! Jude is a wonderful name, and so is Grace. I hope all goes well.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

~When a door closes, a window always opens~

Congratulations! Many blessings and good wishes to both of you.
I'm not angry anymore....
migdd

Post by migdd »

Running late with this but. . . happy to hear the great news, LTZ!!! There is no love like the love you will have for your new baby. You are in for some fine and wonderful days!!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Congratulations, all the best to you and the missus my friend!