Kate Bush's Aerial

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Chrille

Kate Bush's Aerial

Post by Chrille »

I managed to get a copy of this album and my first impressions are that there are some very good songs and some that are not so good or terrible. Regarding the terrible and not so good songs think the annoying intro of Waking the Witch off Hounds of Love and extend it for about 6 minutes or so.
The album should have a big sticker on it saying "Warning: Extremly Pretentious Content Inside!"

It's far too early to judge it, but I'll listen to it more and then I'll be able to say what I really think of it ;).
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, I can't wait to hear it, I've got lots of pretentious music among my faves!

Just heard there's gonna be a KB interview on Monday night on BBC2; someone from that part of the world can maybe give us more details?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

There's a positive review in the Guardian by Alexis Petridis.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/ ... 32,00.html
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Very positive indeed, and Kitty Empire was equally enthusiastic in last Sunday's Observer. Both take the tack that she's bonkers as well as brilliant and therefore a nationaal institution and therefore singing about 'luvverly Bertie' and clothes in the washing machine is further proof that she can do no wrong. They're reviews where love of the uniqueness of Kate means she can be forgiven for things that lesser mortals would be pilloried over. I find myself agreeing with Petridis in the Guardian on almost everything, so am keener to hear than I was based on a hearing of King of the Mountain, which sounded so very dull, a thought echoed on the Radio 4 arts review last Saturday where Robert Sandall said it was all very ordinary. Everyone comments on the datedness of some of the 80s beats and fretless bass, but it does seem there's much to treasure on the record. The second CD (called something like 'Sky of Honey') seems to take up where The Ninth Wave left off.

I enjoyed the bit in Petridis review about indications of her imaginative approach to 'having it off'. Took me right baack to my immense appreciation of Bush's many assets as a teenager. The clothes wrapped his around hers in the washing machine also sounds highly erotic. Utterly unique. Like Bjork, the bonkers/pretentious/wayward element is a necessary one for the pure genius to co-exist. Maybe.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Kitty Empire
For real?
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I do like Kate Bush and I don't mind the 80's sound at all (I think it works excellent with Kate's voice) nor do I mind pretentious music or film as long as long as it's good. The washing machine song just isn't though, sorry. I've given it a few more listens since last time and most songs are excellent, but the album isn't on a whole I'm sorry to say, but I'd say it's definetly worth the purchase!
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Kitty Empire
For real?
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/s ... 81,00.html

A nom de plume, perhaps. Observer's recentish lead music writer. Alright, not great.
Otis Westinghouse

selfmademug wrote:Just heard there's gonna be a KB interview on Monday night on BBC2; someone from that part of the world can maybe give us more details?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/radcliffe/

BBC Radio 2, as opposed to BBC2 telly. Radcliffe says she's the person he's most been waiting to interview. 22.30-24.00 Monday 7th. Will be on Listen Again for a week, so plenty of time to enjoy.
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

There is a small interview about this CD with Kate Bush in the new issue of Entertainment Weekly (with Harry Potter on the cover).
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Apologies if I'm repeating myself, but Kate Bush in a way resembles my mother. More athletic however.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Heard 4-5 tracks off this today and must say I'm quite impressed. I don't find "King Of The Mountain" dull at all.
Otis Westinghouse

Fair enough. Forgot about the interview. Anyone heard it?

Boo: you're mother/Kate Bush fixation is getting worrying.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

bambooneedle wrote:Apologies if I'm repeating myself, but Kate Bush in a way resembles my mother. More athletic however.
Did your mum name you Bertie too? :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I'd change it to Burt. Actually, I'd change it to something else. Ralph, maybe. Or Nigel.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My wife got the new album earlier today. I like it so far, but haven't delved into disc two. My favorite thing about the new album is the creative use of chainsaw on disc one.

Or it might have been my little guy playing with his new favorite toy in the backseat.
Otis Westinghouse

Maybe it's Bertie unleashed in the studio.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

An extremely beautiful and sexy record. Quiet for the most part and subdued for her , but lovely stuff just the same. The Rolf Harris talking while hes painting bit made me laugh and was a real flash back to those childhood days watching him on TV. Nice bit of digeridoo work by Rolf at the very end too.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Well we eventaully got the album - my partner is horrified and thinks its dreadful!! He is a Kate Bush maniac and was so thrilled when he heard that she was finally coming out of retirement but he is not impressed at all.

I havent given it a go yet so I cant comment personally, although I must say if that is a good picture of her son in the album booklet he is an ugly little bugger!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!