Pat Robertson, King of the Morons

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Pat Robertson, King of the Morons

Post by mood swung »

is it April 1?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/23/robert ... index.html

Guess he forgot about that whole Thou Shalt Not Kill thing.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Yeah and that's just the tip of the hypocracy iceberg where the religious right is concerned. IMO.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Sorry, but Bill O'Reilly remains King of the Morons. Pat is merely their chaplain.

http://www.sweetjesusihatebilloreilly.c ... 82305.html
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Joel Osteen is pretty icky too.....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I can't believe that the radically conservative idiot embarassed America by saying that. I thought he was a loon before, now I'm certain.

Maybe it is April, Moody. :roll:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

At least the White House were smart enough to say his comments were ridiculous, but it amazes me that this guy is given such a loud voice in today's culture.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Also, was this spout of hatred on the 700 Club? If so, shouldn't the FCC be getting involved, or is that more for when people use the f word or show a boobie
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Pat Robertson. . .isn't he dead, YET!!??!!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I don't know which is stupider - the fact that he said what he did yesterday, or the fact that today he says he was "misinterpreted." :?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Blue Chair said boobie.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Blue -- it was on the 700 Club. It's an interesting case for the FCC. As you know, though what I'm about to say is subject to (too much, IMO) occasoinal revisiion, anything resembling political speech is highly protected in the U.S., with the only real exception being "yelling fire in a crowded theater" -- i.e., speech that presents a clear and present danger, whatever that means.

If Pat had been calling for an angry mob to murder Michael Moore, the FCC might actually have gotten involved, since that's something that could actually happen only on the say-so of said-mob. But since he was making a suggestion to the government, I'd say that, inane as it was, what he said was protected speech IMO and I'd be upset if anything happened to him other than the mass ridicule he so richly deserves.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:Blue Chair said boobie.
LOL. My 3-year old says that.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

mood swung wrote:Blue Chair said boobie.
I know.....that was pretty funny. :lol:
I'm not angry anymore....
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

Nice op-ed piece by Juan Gonzalez in response to the stupidity:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/col/sto ... 0516c.html
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

BlueChair wrote:At least the White House were smart enough to say his comments were ridiculous,
Yes, they call it ridiculous, but they don't repudiate it strongly enough, which I think is telling. When a Muslim cleric calls for the death of the leader of a sovreign nation, they call it dangerous religious fanaticism, but when the founder of the Christian Coalition does it, they call it the exercise of a "private citizen's" freedom of speech, and that it doesn't necessarily represent the views of the administration.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

BlueChair wrote:At least the White House were smart enough to say his comments were ridiculous,
G2S is exactly right (as usual). And they only did it after about 36 hours of the political equivalent of whistling and staring at the ceiling.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

True. The whole thing is pretty ridiculous.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

My favorite Robertson moment was at the 1992 RNC where he was strong-arming to keep some pretty unflattering footage of a protest that went badly awry for his group off the air. In his hissy fit, he told an aide that if the Bush Sr. administration didn't do their part to squash the story, he'd instruct his own reporters to start asking edgy questions about Quayle and Desert Storm. "We can play hardball too. And that's the hardest ball of all." Good man.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

selfmademug wrote:

G2S is exactly right (as usual).
Ha! You need to come talk to some of these people that I live with. Natch, I feel as you do, but they could give you some very convincing arguments to the contrary!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

BlueChair wrote:Also, was this spout of hatred on the 700 Club? If so, shouldn't the FCC be getting involved, or is that more for when people use the f word or show a boobie
Robertson wasn't given a platform to say this crap--he owns the platform. CBN is his property. And the FCC doesn't have the same standards for what is said on cable as it does broadcast, which is why you can say 'fuck' on HBO, but not ABC.

Basically, unless Robertson breaks the law (which he didn't), he can say whatever stupid things he wants on his own network. But if there was ever any doubt that he's a complete ass, that should be pretty much obliterated now.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bobster

Post by bobster »

Actually, the 700 Club, if I'm not mistaken, does still air on some broadcast outlets. So, for those, the FCC could get involved (except that they can't, for the reasons I stated above). Cable is considered by some rightwingers a gray area. If Ted Stevens from Alaska has his way, cable and broadcast will become one and the same as per the FCC. I don't think this is going to happen, fortunately. If it did and held up to the Supreme Court scrutiny, it could really open the floodgates of censorship and we could be back in a sort of nouveau Hayes code in no time.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I just think there is some definite hypocracy going on.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

No doubt.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bobster

Post by bobster »

Yes, but hypocracy in politics is a precious natural resource. Without hypocracy, politics as we know would end and by replaced by good government, and then what would I obsess about?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bobster wrote:Yes, but hypocracy in politics is a precious natural resource. Without hypocracy, politics as we know would end and by replaced by good government, and then what would I obsess about?
Can I assume "hypocracy" is a deliberate misspelling of hypocrisy? I like it - perfectly describes the regime we're saddled with.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick