Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Scolari gives the FA the finger and tells England to stuff it. Good for him.

England job not for me - Scolari

Luiz Felipe Scolari appears to have ruled himself out of taking over as England coach after the World Cup.

But following his remarks in Portuguese at a news conference in Germany there is still some confusion as to whether he has definitively rejected the job.

"The English FA is going to choose a name. My name isn't one of them because I'm closing this matter here," he said.

"I was very pleased they considered me, but definitely at this time I want to draw a line under this matter."

"In the last few days when I was not even the manager of England my freedom was taken away from me and that is not the coaching I am used to."

"I don't want anything more to do with this England matter because in the space of two days... my life was invaded, my privacy was disrupted," said Scolari, who will remain Portugal coach until after the World Cup.

"There are 20 reporters outside my house now. If that is part of another culture, it is not part of my culture."

The 57-year-old's contract with Portugal expires on 31 July and he has a gentleman's agreement not to commit himself to another job until his current deal runs out.

The Football Association has reacted by saying it would "reflect" on Scolari's statement before making any further comment.

But it revealed that the Brazilian contacted the FA ahead of his announcement to tell them he was pulling out and it will now consider its options.

"Luiz Felipe Scolari this afternoon made The FA aware of his intention to release a statement regarding the England head coach position," said a statement on the FA's official website.

"It is no secret that Mr Scolari is one of the candidates that the FA has spoken to as part of the recruitment process.

"We will now reflect on his announcement before making any further comment as we move forward with the process."

After making his statement, Scolari was seen posing with a Portugal scarf at a function outside what will be the team's hotel for this summer's tournament.

"I am committed to the Portuguese FA until the end of the World Cup and maybe longer," Scolari said.

"In the last few days when I was not even the manager of England my freedom was taken away from me and that is not the coaching I am used to.

"I don't want to be a part of it."
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Yeah. I don't blame him at all. Some things in life are more important than money or a job.

The majority of the British press are complete fuckheads :x . Better that Big Phil learned this now rather than 10 mins into the job!
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

A few red faces at the FA no doubt and Dein and Barwick in particular have a lot of explaining to do for this farce.

Whoever gets the job now has already been undermined.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

CHAMPIONS!!!

Terrific performance by the Blues. Totally outclassed the Mancs. Brilliant goal from Cole and what was that from Carvalho? What a strike.

I really hope Rooney is not seriously injured - Terry as well.

A very satisfying conclusion to win it at home against ManU after the CL and FA Cup disappointments.

Now come on Pompey. Really want to see them stay up.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Well done Chelsea! I too hope Rooney and Terry are ok - this is the last thing we need as the world cup looms....! :(
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Have to admit, it's great seeing the Mancs getting themselves humiliated after all those years of listening to their arrogant boasting :lol: Not just beaten, but totally ripped apart. There was nothing that made you think that things will be any different next year.

What I like about Chelsea is the Englishness of their side. No matter how may foreign players they sign, the spine is English. Good stuff even if they boring as fuck :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

A further tedious kick in the teeth, but of more concern to me re FF than Prem 9the fight for 4th place at work is a bitter one, and I have O'Shea and Ronaldo), and of far more concern for World Cup than either. It just won't be the same if Rooney isn't at full strength, and I do think England have about 50% less of a chance of progressing if he's injured. This should be the moment when he shows he really is going to go down as one of the true legends, and given how he raises his game for the big occasions, especially with Engerland, entirely possible that he is close to Ronaldinho as THE player of 2006. So all fingers crossed.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Well im a happy bunny - we have just signed up for a years worth of foreign satellite sports card. They show every premier game live with english commentary! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 957970.stm

It's looking very close. May not be ready for first game. Let's pray this heals fully and quickly.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Have to admit, it's great seeing the Mancs getting themselves humiliated after all those years of listening to their arrogant boasting :lol: Not just beaten, but totally ripped apart. There was nothing that made you think that things will be any different next year.

What I like about Chelsea is the Englishness of their side. No matter how may foreign players they sign, the spine is English. Good stuff even if they boring as fuck :lol:
Well today was anything but boring - three quality goals. Cole's was a thing of beauty and what a cracker from Carvalho! It was a dominant performance - and I just wonder why we don't play like that more often.

I do hope that Rooney recovers. Would be a shame to see him miss out on the World Cup.

And Pompey stay up at Steve Bruce's expense. Not a good day for ManU.
Otis Westinghouse

Brucey had it coming. But I love the way Hazzer saved Pompey, and as a Wigan fan pointed out today, their fans are incredible. They made so much noise away, and I love that fanatacism and seeing it repaid by the team. So smiles from me on that one. And maybe Brum will come back refocused. One 5 Live 606 punter reckoned that Curbishley, who once played there, will be keen to go and manage and bring them back up. Interesting how they handled the big news that his long, long reign at Charlton - good on them for letting the fans know first.

And Pompey's Taylor must have scored - 11 points for me! Yowzer. Temporarily 4th...
charliestumpy

Footie

Post by charliestumpy »

From head to toe.

All the best to those maybe temporarily down.

IMO Chelsk in next 2 pointless games against fine Blackburn-Newcastle should play their 6th team and lose both matches 17-0 in interests of those 2 fine northern teams' Euro quest.

13 days to maybe last Cardiff (what a great stadium - very sad that Chelsk failed to win FA Cup there, but pleased that they did win twice there) FA Final in between both Euro Finals where hopefully Arse and Midden will play well.

Have noticed how many good English players are in form/fit/scoring, and always felt that as so good as Mr Rooney can be that someone else not currently in spotlight (like in 1966 ...) might well emerge to be main scorer/match-winner ...
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Definately no Rooney - 90% sure no Owen - Terry touch and go. We have no chance of going all the way now. I'm so bloody gutted ! - why did it have to happen now? its as if God doesnt ever want us to win!!! :cry:

Im off to have a few glasses of wine to steady my nerves before I watch the Spurs match in a few hours............
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:Definately no Rooney - 90% sure no Owen - Terry touch and go. We have no chance of going all the way now. I'm so bloody gutted ! - why did it have to happen now? its as if God doesnt ever want us to win!!! :cry:
Terry will be OK. Ten stitches in his foot/ankle. What a legend.
Otis Westinghouse

Rooney may have a good recovery and be OK, at least a week or two into it.

Come on Bolton, I have three of your players!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Spurs very fortunate to get all three points, thanks to a moment of brilliance from Lennon. Thought Dawson's tackle on Stelios was a clear penalty, but it wasn't given. Jackson, if you want to see what "boring as fuck" looks like watch the first half of that match again. You were woeful.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Spurs very fortunate to get all three points, thanks to a moment of brilliance from Lennon. Thought Dawson's tackle on Stelios was a clear penalty, but it wasn't given. Jackson, if you want to see what "boring as fuck" looks like watch the first half of that match again. You were woeful.
Well, I can't disagree that we were really awful in the first half and were fortunate to pick up three points. But then again, we deserved to take 3 pts off Arsenal and at least a point off Man Utd.....and we were robbed at Stamford Brdge a few weeks back as well....thanks to a moment of brilliance from Gallas....that's football I guess. Overall, we deserve to be where we are. As do Chelsea.

I agree that Chelsea were great yesterday. No doubt about it...fantastic. However, a couple of weeks ago, Bolton Vrs Chelsea was the only match in the prem that wasn't sold out. I wonder why? Can you imagine that happening if the great Arse or Man Utd sides of the past 10 yrs were visiting the Reebok? No chance! History will not look kindly on this Chelsea side. They are undoubtedly effective, but I for one wouldn't go out of my way to watch them. They remind me of that Blackburn side of the mid 90s. Against our lot, Petr Cech was timewasting half-way through the first half, for Christ's sake! With all that talent at their disposal.

You admitted it yourself. If they can play like they did yesterday, why are they so frequently dull to watch? Only Mourinho knows why.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Am I alone in feeling depressed about the World Cup? I'm not sure I can bear to watch an England 11 missing an injured Rooney.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:I agree that Chelsea were great yesterday. No doubt about it...fantastic. However, a couple of weeks ago, Bolton Vrs Chelsea was the only match in the prem that wasn't sold out. I wonder why? Can you imagine that happening if the great Arse or Man Utd sides of the past 10 yrs were visiting the Reebok? No chance! History will not look kindly on this Chelsea side. They are undoubtedly effective, but I for one wouldn't go out of my way to watch them.
Well, I know what you are saying and as I said I think we are capable of being more entertaining, but there are a lot of teams who do everything they can to stop us from playing. It can be very difficult on those occasions. I don't really understand how Chelsea can be blamed for Bolton failing to sell out. They were playing very poorly at the time - could that have had something to do with it?

As for the judgment of history - it can go fuck itself. We're not exactly media darlings at the moment, so what difference will it make? I reckon you'd take back-to-back titles at the moment if they were presented to you, whatever the perceived "entertainment value".
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

OTIS: No your not alone - read my post above yours - im gutted!!! I dont think Rooney will be ok now its been confirmed his toe is broken. if he does manage a few games towards the end (thats assuming we get that far) he wont be fully fit.

Spurs were the worst ive seen them in a long time yesterday. Even Dawson was bad and thats saying something! Terrible performances from everyone except Lennon. If Sven doesnt take him along to the world cup hes a twat!!

As you know im not a big fan of Davids, but Mr potato head Murphy was even worse yesterday!! If Mido is not going to stay we seriously need a new striker to play alongside Robbie - you wouldnt even have known Defoe was on the pitch if his name hadnt come up on TV before the game!!

We need to up our anti for West Ham - especially as Robbie looks doubtful with an ankle injury. But hey! good news - Murphy looks as if he will be ok!! Doh! :roll: ........ :(
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Southampton have signed striker Grzegorz Rasiak for £2m from Tottenham.

£2 Million!!!!

HOW COOL IS THAT !!!????
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson, I see you've locked up King. Good news, if he can stay away from injuries. I've also heard strong rumors of Eidur Gudjohnsen leaving to Tottenham. I assume he'd be brought in to take on the creative midfield role he's played at Chelsea. If it happens there will be some CFC supporters who will never forgive him for it. I personally couldn't blame him in the least, as long as he doesn't kiss that fucking cockerel badge, like Poyet did (still can't forgive him for that).
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol: Let's be honest kissing the club badge means nothing to most prem players, who'd happily kiss Malcolm Glazer's wrinkly old knob for an extra £5k per week.

Gudjohnsen would be a good buy, but I'd see him as a direct replacement for Mido up front. Our midfield doesn't need a creative player, it needs an enforcer like Makele. Good ones are few and far between though.

King's signing was never in doubt for me. He's Spurs through and through and the best central defender we've had in the modern era. His game has no weakness. More importantly, it sends out a very positive message to other potential players.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote::lol: Let's be honest kissing the club badge means nothing to most prem players, who'd happily kiss Malcolm Glazer's wrinkly old knob for an extra £5k per week.
:shock:

Ewww. Not gonna be able to get rid of that mental image for some time.

Eidur was never the fastest striker in the world and has since lost a step, so I'm not sure he would work as an out-and-out forward.
Otis Westinghouse

Jackson Monk wrote:happily kiss Malcolm Glazer's wrinkly old knob for an extra £5k per week.
I'd happily do it for £3k, myself.