The Decemberists

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

The Decemberists

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

MBA is a fan, and maybe others here too. The Guardian are pretty keen as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayre ... 31,00.html

And there was a recent article about them too. The name is great, and they sound more interesting than the average band. Like The Arcade Fire, it's exciting to hear of bands who seem to offer something genuinely original and though-provoking. And their name is just fantastic.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I have their three most recent albums - Picaresque, Castaways And Cutouts and Her Majesty, and they're all terrific. It was Tom the Pompey fan who turned me on to them when we drove down to Philly a few years ago to see AC Milan-Chelsea.

And not to be pedantic, but the songwriter/lead singer/guitarist is Colin Meloy, not Chris Meloy, as the Guardian reviewer says.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Shame on them. His sister is Maile who wrote Liars and Saints. Anyone read that? Three most recent? Isn't that all they've done?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Shame on them. His sister is Maile who wrote Liars and Saints. Anyone read that? Three most recent? Isn't that all they've done?
Actually, there's an earlier disc called The Tain and another EP, 5 Songs, that I don't have. Castaways And Cutouts is billed as an EP, but that's deceiving - it comes at nearly 50 minutes of music, more than a lot of LPs.

Meloy was a creative writing student before he started The Decemberists I think (I want to say at Montana State or someplace like that), so it doesn't surprise me that his sister is a novelist. Have you read Liars And Saints?
Otis Westinghouse

No, but it was getting a lot of hype and book club billings here a few months back and the wife read it and was underwhelmed. About a family of French-Canadian Catholics, and involving incest, apparently, didn't somehow appeal to her Irish Catholic sensibilities.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:No, but it was getting a lot of hype and book club billings here a few months back and the wife read it and was underwhelmed. About a family of French-Canadian Catholics, and involving incest, apparently, didn't somehow appeal to her Irish Catholic sensibilities.
The Amazon description doesn't exactly make me want to run out and buy it.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I think their latest album is pretty good, but to be honest nothing has really driven me to listen to it since the week I bought it; and part of what makes a great album for me is something that I am eager to come back to again and again.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Ive only heard a few tracks but they left me cold. Im not surprised to find out the guy was a writer - one of the tracks I heard was a sea shanty type thing then seemed to go on forever. I didnt like the way the guy sang and it was all rather overly mannered to me and in fact rather annoyed me. I cant say I care much for Arcade Fire either - the tracks I heard sounded rather overblown and U2ish? :cry:

I much prefer "Delays" - their album Faded Seaside Glamour is chock full of pop goodness!
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Mike, I'd give The Arcade Fire another go if you can. Funeral is one of my very favorite records from the past 5 years or so. It's really a loose concept album in a way, in the sense that all the songs are told from the point of view of a child. The stories are told in some cleverly economic and beautiful ways, e.g. "When Daddy gets home you always start a fight / So the neighbors can dance in the police disco lights."

The sound is big and lush and indulgent, but they earn it. It's just a gorgeous gorgeous record if you give it time. There are about two songs that are weaker than the others, but the rest is powerhouse, imo.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mike Boom wrote:Ive only heard a few tracks but they left me cold. Im not surprised to find out the guy was a writer - one of the tracks I heard was a sea shanty type thing then seemed to go on forever. I didnt like the way the guy sang and it was all rather overly mannered to me and in fact rather annoyed me.
I've read that criticism of Decemberists elsewhere. Can't say I agree with it, but I'll admit that their style and Meloy's vocal approach take some getting used to. I don't think it's mannered - that's just how he sings. Different strokes I suppose. It is kind of literate and writerly.
Mike Boom wrote: I cant say I care much for Arcade Fire either - the tracks I heard sounded rather overblown and U2ish?
God forbid! I like U2. There's room in my universe for "overblown" music. They are one of the few bands around that can make big songs about big ideas and carry it off with conviction.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

yeah, but mostly its the smallest songs about the smallest things that have the biggest ideas.

And one U2 is enough for me.
echos myron like a siren
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Mike Boom wrote:yeah, but mostly its the smallest songs about the smallest things that have the biggest ideas.
Well, I don't think anybody here would argue with that, although I thought you wrote sometimes rather than mostly.

Myself, I'm quite pro-U2. It's easy to take shots at The Joshua Tree because it became so ubiquitous, and so, so popular. But frankly I think it's one of the great all-time records. Which doesn't mean everyone needs to like it; on the contrary. But I think it deserves its fame and familiarity.

I think I mentioned this once before, but the first time my husband and I drove around in the Four Corners area of the southwest-- Monument Valley, Paria River Wilderness, Bryce, Zion, Moab, etc.-- the only music that we could find in all we'd brought with us that would vaguely stand up to the scenery was The Joshua Tree. The world needs music like that, no?

There are a lot of great records that I never need to play again, because they crop up in contexts all the time, and such is their power, I'm still happy to hear them and sing along to every damn syllable. Records in that category for me are things like Peter Gabriel's So; Paul Simon's Graceland; Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (or almost anything from his back catalog); and most of the Beatles catalog. Anyway, Joshua Tree is one of those for me.

As to Arcade Fire, I recommend it to U2 Lovers and Haters alike. :wink: :P
King of Confidence

Post by King of Confidence »

I bought Arcade Fire when they didn't have the Decemberists in stock. Didn't care for it much for a couple months, but then got hooked on it. So I'll second that it's a grower. Still haven't gotten the Decemerists, but the cuts I've heard haven't grabbed me.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

SMM,
Yes, I did write "sometimes" intially , but I changed it, because I think it IS "mostly". I have nothing against U2, Im no u2 hater , I like a lot of their stuff, Beautiful Day is one of the best most uplifting peices of music Ive heard in a longtime and I once, many years ago, wandered about the Himalayas, at night, very stoned with "Where the Streets Have No Name" blasting on my walkman in a very quasi religous moment to say the least.The first concert I ever went to, was as a twelve year old, to see one Elton John perform most of Yellow Brick Road. I also love a lot of "mainstream" stuff like Fleetwood Mac and ELO. However , most music I love tends to hit me the first time I hear it - and the Arcade Fire just didnt do that, but Im willing to give it another go, on one condition, that you go along and see Brian Wilson play "Smile" and assorted other masterpieces in Boston on the 9th( i think), and experience some of the greatest pop music ever and some even BIGGER IDEAS!! :D
echos myron like a siren
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Dang, no can do about seeing Brian Wilson at this point, sorry! Will you settle for me getting to know SMILE? :) I've been meaning to anyway. I could add the Beach Boys catalog to the category I mentioned as well-- I don't think there's a tune of theirs I don't know.

I understand what you mean about 'ideas' if you mean musical ones.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

"I'll always be a man whose open to persuasion."

Yep, SMiLE is definitely worth getting into, and I shall indeed try the Arcade Fire again.
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

selfmademug wrote:The sound is big and lush and indulgent, but they earn it. It's just a gorgeous gorgeous record if you give it time. There are about two songs that are weaker than the others, but the rest is powerhouse, imo.
Agree entirely. Loads of great and memorable songs on this LP. One to play regularly and get fully into your head. I'm early on in that process.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i can see them here live for 13 bucks in october, but am still uncertain from this thread whether i want to.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
little martinet

Post by little martinet »

funny...I'm going to see U2 in November in Montreal and turns out, the Arcade Fire is opening! I'm glad 'cause I think I would like the Arcade Fire but I haven't had the time or money to listen to their stuff....and sometimes, a band doesn't really 'grab me' until I see 'em live, know what I mean?
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Go see them OS. You figure you spend $13.00 on a few drinks in a bar. I think it is a better use of money to go see a good band or a new arists than having a drink or two. The Decemberists are certainly worth $13
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

ice nine wrote:Go see them OS. You figure you spend $13.00 on a few drinks in a bar. I think it is a better use of money to go see a good band or a new arists than having a drink or two. The Decemberists are certainly worth $13
I agree. If you want a taste of what they sound like live, check out their recent live set on KCRW.
whar

Post by whar »

They put the Love For Tender/Town Called Malice riff to good use on The Sporting Life.
Oy with the poodles, already!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

whar wrote:They put the Love For Tender/Town Called Malice riff to good use on The Sporting Life.
Both of those, of course, Motown ripoffs.