Santiago de Chile, October 21st

Pretty self-explanatory
idle hands

Santiago de Chile, October 21st

Post by idle hands »

Hello everyone,

Well, this was just published today, managed to made a quick translation while at work :roll:

http://www.latercera.cl/medio/articulo/ ... 14,00.html

Legendary english songwriter arrives with his band The Imposters to present Delivery Man, his latest record from 2004.

Elvis Costello has planned a concert in Santiago for October 21st.
After six months of his wife concert in the capital, the canadian pianist Diana Krall, the british rocker has just scheduled his debut in SouthAmerica.

The other elvis. Declan Patrick McManus - his real name- gained notoriety for the English version of She, a Charles Aznavour original, which featured on the 1999 film, Notting Hill.

First the wife and then the husband and mentor. After six months of Diana Krall's latest concert, now is the turn for the other half of the family. The turn of his well know husband Declan Patrick McManus, best known as Elvis Costello, who has just scheduled his debut in Chile in the same stage that fascinated to the blond canadian pianist: parque Bicentenario.

It's not an exaggeration. The sweet femenin voice of the new jazz was delighted in her last trip to the country, last january, and according to what the SP2 producers (responsible also for the last Norah Jones show in the same place), it was her "whom made it possible the visit of Elvis Costello. She spoke wonders of the country and his agents had already told us that his happy with this concert in Santiago", scheduled for friday october 21st, 21:00 hrs.

With 28 years of career and 21 albums published solo, the songwriter born in Liverpool as part of a Southamerican tour (with dates also in Brazil and Argentina) and with a new album: The Delivery Man, edited on september last year with the band The Imposters, where he recovers the electric and rocking vein interrupted a decade ago when he was associated in succesful projects with american composer Burt Bacharach and even Krall herself, whom she married in december 2003.

Costello, however, will be accompanied only by his six musicians that are part of The Imposters. In total, is a group of 13 people arriving to Santiago one day before the concert and staying in the Hotel Ritz. The producers SB2, in the meantime, say that the tickets sale will start on augost 15th as pre-sale and that, on september 15th, the final sale with definitive prices will start. The assistance of 5000 people is expected for the debut of Costello in Chile.
que no panda el cunico
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

arriving to Santiago one day before the concert and staying in the Hotel Ritz.
http://www.ritzcarlton.com/hotels/santiago/default.html

Hmmm.....very nice.
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

johnfoyle wrote:
arriving to Santiago one day before the concert and staying in the Hotel Ritz.
http://www.ritzcarlton.com/hotels/santiago/default.html

Hmmm.....very nice.
very nice indeed... been there (only for a conference), and it's only two streets away from work....
que no panda el cunico
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

http://www.latercera.cl/medio/articulo/ ... 12,00.html

not much of interest to be translated actually, I'm sorry, it's independence day here, its a holiday tomorrow, and I'm feeling completely lazy today.

Summary:
This seems to be the first confirmation from Elvis himself on his show on october 21st.
He says he visited Punta Arenas a while ago, for 4 or 5 days, talks about the recommendations from Diana about the warm audience in Chile on her concert early this year
And says something about New Orleans : "It's a shame how the help comes from private people and not the government. But it's more sad to see poverty and racial conflicts. There's also poor people in USA..."

Pretty poor article.

Curious thing about the ticket sales, first news said it would start on August 15th, nothing happened. Then sep 1st, then sep 15th, and now it's next week. Tickets go from 10.000 (USD 17) pesos to 40.000 (USD 71), not expensive at all (Diana's ticket were more expensive I recall..). Considering that the same week I'll try to assist to the Wayne Shorter concert, it will be quite reasonable.
que no panda el cunico
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Uh,oh...........

http://blog.super45.cl/2005/10/17/suspe ... -santiago/

( extract)

Suspendido el show de Elvis Costello en Santiago
La productora de Raul Belloni (sí, el otrora manager de las estrellas de tv) acaba de anunciar la suspensión del show que Elvis Costello iba a dar en Santiago el 21 de octubre. La razón esbozada, según el diario La Segunda, es la baja venta de entradas.

Google trans .

Suspended to the show of Elvis Costello in Santiago the producer of Raul Belloni (yes, once to manager of TV stars) it finishes announcing the suspension of the show that Elvis Costello was going to give in Santiago the 21 of October. The reason outlined, according to the newspaper Second, is the low sale of entrances.
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

Well, yes.
And I'm not surprised. I've been checking the tickets sales regularly and noticed that they were too slow some weeks ago. Out of 5000 tickets, only 200 were sold. A smaller venue was considered, but some guy from Elvis production team said something like "If they don't want us, we don't go".
So, I'm currently checking the flights to Buenos Aires... going for only two days it's kind of crazy, but I kind of feel like it...
que no panda el cunico
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

What a shame, IH! The word ain't spread there. Can understand your temptation to head over to BA.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more