Elvis & Emmy @ Central Park - Roll Call

Pretty self-explanatory
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

John, that bold is for me? So maybe EC and the Imps did get the Led out with Larry Campbell!
//I can't forgive you for things you haven't done yet
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

on a version of the "Imperial Bedroom" nugget "Indoor Fireworks,"
WTF?

Considering this I would be too sure this guy knows what Whole Lotta Love sounds like either. :roll:
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

A recording of this show is now being torrented here.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

martinfoyle wrote:A recording of this show is now being torrented here.
A guy at the backstreets.com forum says he recorded it. More details here: http://www.backstreets.com/btx/viewtopi ... 13e6b67855
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0530, ... 19,22.html

The Village Voice

The Sound of the City

Deep Emotional Reservoirs Amid the Fetid Summer Stew
Elvis Costello With Emmylou Harris and the Imposters

by Richard Gehr
July 25th, 2005 5:28 PM

Elvis Costello With Emmylou Harris and the Imposters
Central Park SummerStage
July 19

It seems slightly ridiculous now, but Elvis Costello's 1981 Almost Blue came with a sticker warning: "This album contains country & Western music & may produce radical reaction in narrow minded people." An alt-country movement, Americana format, and O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack later, the most radical reaction Costello's epic country-punk jamboree with Emmylou Harris and the Imposters induced was a certain amount of awe at the ass-kicking audacity of a 50-year-old rock star performing 33 songs over two and a half breakless hours—particularly in last week's fetid summer stew, and while sporting a finely tailored dark two-piece suit.

A handful of tunes in, Costello introduced former and longtime Bob Dylan guitarist Larry Campbell, who joined the blazing Imposters for "Waiting for the End of the World" (a young-Elvis nod to Bob) and then stuck around for the rest of the show on mandolin, fiddle, and pedal steel guitar. Emmylou Harris's arrival, however, sparked a quantum leap in historical resonance. Both Costello's and Harris's voices are massive vibrato generators fueled by deep emotional reservoirs. The pair played out a vast domestic encyclopedia of hookups, put-downs, breakups, and mornings-after, originally written in tears by Johnny Cash ("I Still Miss Someone"), Harris's first duet partner Gram Parsons ("Sleepless Nights"), and George Jones ("One of These Days"); eventually, they landed on Costello's metaphorically baroque "Indoor Fireworks." Harris sang "Red Dirt Girl" and joined Costello in a bunch of Parsons tunes, and the hits just kept on coming.

Costello's reputation often seems suspended between his curatorial smarts and his stylistically promiscuous sentimental journeymanship; the added value nips disposability in the bud from either angle. He sprinkled most of the tracks from his recent album The Delivery Man into the set list, where they outperformed their recorded versions, especially "Heart Shaped Bruise" and spooky "Nothing Clings Like Ivy" ("She said, 'You know how young girls are/From my contempt for you' "). And they couldn't have squatted more comfortably than in the raw emotional brush first cleared by Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, the Stanley Brothers, and everyone else Costello crammed into his own personal grand ole opry.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.emmylou.net/costello.html

Photo Gallery - Emmylou and Elvis Costello - July 2005

including -

Larry Campbell, Emmylou and Elvis
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

A mp3 of 'Masterpiece' from this show can be downloaded from here.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycmg/nyctv/htm ... city.shtml

Summer in the City

A spin off of the popular NYC TV music series New York Noise, Summer in the City captures all the energy, excitment, and great live music from the 20th season of central park's SummerStage. Be sure to tune in for artists including Tegan and Sara, Citizen Cope, and The Blind Boys Of Alabama just to name a few. That's New York Noise Presents Summer In The City, Thursdays at 8 PM only on NYC TV 25.

Summer in the City is an NYC TV production in conjunction with WFUV.

Episode 10: Elvis Costello

Elvis Costello has had a busy few years. Aside from getting inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in 2003 he reunited with 2/3 of his former backing band The Attractions to form a new group The Imposters.
Premiere: December 1st, 2005
alexv

Post by alexv »

Last week, I was channel surfing, and much to my surprise there's ron in all his glory playing in the Park. It was from this series. No frills; just the songs (selected ones). The Elvis show should be good.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

johnfoyle wrote:Episode 10: Elvis Costello

Elvis Costello has had a busy few years. Aside from getting inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in 2003 he reunited with 2/3 of his former backing band The Attractions to form a new group The Imposters.
Premiere: December 1st, 2005
Cool. We usually watch the news from France on channel 25 at 7PM. Will make sure we stay tuned for this!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bump ,bump/ reminder!
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

I was at that concert, and I remember wondering why it was being filmed. They implied it was for the Today Show, but when the footage wasn't shown there, I began to wonder if it would ever surface!

This is appears to be a local NYC channel (?), and I won't be in the city when the show is broadcast, so if anyone would be willing to tape the show for me (I am willing to pay), please PM me.
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess.