Terror in London

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Horrible scenes.
My thoughts are with all Londoners.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
bobster

Post by bobster »

Glad everyone on the board at least seems to be okay though I'm sure everyone in London is somewhat traumatized -- though as a city London has faced up to greater horrors and similar ones before. That's part of what makes it a great city.

As to the whys of terrorism, there are far too many people in this world who turn people into abstractions, and place abstract ideas -- good, bad, and indifferent -- above all else, and they're all over.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Im glad to hear that everyone seems to be okay, so far. My deepest sympathies for all those who arent.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

that is good news.

they must be winning cause i am getting worn out.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
bobster wrote:I gather from Poppet's post, Lapinsjoli (who I didn't even know was anywhere near London! She's from Florida....)
I think that's Plaything or Pet, neé Utilitarian Bunny.
Well, I'm obviously delighted she's okay too! (and I assume Lapinsjoli is safe in Florida from...all that humidity)

Funny, I thought Plaything was in Scotland, where I imagined her bumping into Laughing Crow on a daily basis...I had this whole Scottish sitcom thing going on in my head...but back to the serious stuff...
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

my thoughts are with you all - be safe, peoples.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I am fine - I'm in Dublin at the minute. Came out of the dentist this morning to a bunch of "are you ok? I'm ok" text messages. Strange. All of this stuff happened on my doorstep, I had an interview in Russell Sq two days ago and one of the hospitals I work in is the main receiving hospital - people I work with keep popping up on the news. A strange, sad day (again) .
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Many thanks to Poppet for relaying the message. I'm still a little thrown by avoiding being possibly blown to pieces in Edgware Rd station by only about 50 minutes. Thankfully where I was working was far enough away that I didn't even know what was going on until the emergency services started racing past. All friends and family are safe (sister works in Waterloo, house mate in Clerkenwell - but he was waiting at home for a delivery), now I'm just rubbing my feet after an eerie 2-hour walk home.

I've been in a couple of IRA bomb threats and now this...I'm getting pretty fucking tired of these cowards.

I'm off to have a stiff drink and a hot bath.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Here's the statement from Ken Livingstone (Mayor of London for those with an eh? look on their face). Never thought I'd be saying that right now I'm rather proud of old Red Kenno.

"This was a cowardly attack, which has resulted in injury and loss of life. Our thoughts are with everyone who has been injured, or lost loved ones. I want to thank the emergency services for the way they have responded.

Following the al-Qaeda attacks on September 11th in America we conducted a series of exercises in London in order to be prepared for just such an attack. One of the exercises undertaken by the government, my office and the emergency and security services was based on the possibility of multiple explosions on the transport system during the Friday rush hour. The plan that came out of that exercise is being executed today, with remarkable efficiency and courage, and I praise those staff who are involved.

I’d like to thank Londoners for the calm way in which they have responded to this cowardly attack and echo the advice of the Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair - do everything possible to assist the police and take the advice of the police about getting home today.

I have no doubt whatsoever that this is a terrorist attack. We did hope in the first few minutes after hearing about the events on the Underground that it might simply be a maintenance tragedy. That was not the case. I have been able to stay in touch through the very excellent communications that were established for the eventuality that I might be out of the city at the time of a terrorist attack and they have worked with remarkable effectiveness. I will be in continual contact until I am back in London.

I want to say one thing specifically to the world today. This was not a terrorist attack against the mighty and the powerful. It was not aimed at Presidents or Prime Ministers. It was aimed at ordinary, working-class Londoners, black and white, Muslim and Christian, Hindu and Jew, young and old. It was an indiscriminate attempt to slaughter, irrespective of any considerations for age, for class, for religion, or whatever.

That isn’t an ideology, it isn’t even a perverted faith - it is just an indiscriminate attempt at mass murder and we know what the objective is. They seek to divide Londoners. They seek to turn Londoners against each other. I said yesterday to the International Olympic Committee, that the city of London is the greatest in the world, because everybody lives side by side in harmony. Londoners will not be divided by this cowardly attack. They will stand together in solidarity alongside those who have been injured and those who have been bereaved and that is why I’m proud to be the mayor of that city.

Finally, I wish to speak directly to those who came to London today to take life.

I know that you personally do not fear giving up your own life in order to take others - that is why you are so dangerous. But I know you fear that you may fail in your long-term objective to destroy our free society and I can show you why you will fail.

In the days that follow look at our airports, look at our sea ports and look at our railway stations and, even after your cowardly attack, you will see that people from the rest of Britain, people from around the world will arrive in London to become Londoners and to fulfil their dreams and achieve their potential.

They choose to come to London, as so many have come before because they come to be free, they come to live the life they choose, they come to be able to be themselves. They flee you because you tell them how they should live. They don’t want that and nothing you do, however many of us you kill, will stop that flight to our city where freedom is strong and where people can live in harmony with one another. Whatever you do, however many you kill, you will fail."
Misha

Post by Misha »

Ken for President of America!!!!

How freakin brilliantly put.

His speechwriters need to contact Bush.
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
bobster

Post by bobster »

Oddly enough, or perhaps not oddly at all, my desire to someday visit London is stronger than ever today.
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

I'm a long way (300 miles) from London, but I'm travelling down there tomorrow morning, visiting Dulwich, Fulham and Ealing, coming back Saturday night ; I was just in the middle of trying to co-ordinate with Verbal G. about the London meet-up on Saturday..have we heard from him yet..?
bobster

Post by bobster »

So Lack said he was away from London for a few days, so I'm sure he's probably fine.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Is there a website with a list of those wounded?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I'm out of town, so it's taken a while to find an Internet connection. Just wanted to say how sorry I am and that I hope and pray that everyone we know is safe. Don't know waht else to say really. Just so sad. I was just in London in March, and I know so many of you are there. Just know we're with you in spirit.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Well i'm feeling pretty shaken right now and thanking god. I've just spoken to my daughter who lives in London. I heard from my son that she was ok this morning, but just having spoken to her im counting my lucky stars. She gets off at Kings Cross and this morning because the trains were well packed she let the train she was going to catch go and waited for the next one. the train she would have boarded was the one caught in the blast.

Shes feeling pretty shaky too. someone up there was watching out for her and I thank them from the bottom of my heart.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I saw Ken give that speech on the news and it all seemed to be spontaneous, no notes, no podium. And it was stirring.
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
jillbeast

Post by jillbeast »

Gilli and others, I'm glad to hear you and your loved ones are alright! I've had my London map out all afternoon trying to figure out if others I know there may have been near the blasts. I know the odds are excellent that they are okay, but it's so frightening not hearing from them.

Jill
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

DrJ wrote:I saw Ken give that speech on the news and it all seemed to be spontaneous, no notes, no podium. And it was stirring.
I think that Ken's initial response was fantastic too. The man has been lambasted over the years, but he done pretty damn well today.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

A black day for us all. It's been on the cards, people were stopping using the tube after Madrid '04, which is pretty pointless in itself, but it makes it no less sickening now that it's come. Sick timing after such a boost for London yesterday. Current web reports are saying 37 fatalities, though I gather the number 54 was mentioned on the TV. A relief, at least, that it doesn't look like it will be on the same sickening scale as Madrid. The website where the supposed note claiming responsibility is posted refers to Italy and Denmark also being targets. It's becoming a sad fact of modern life. It does sound like the emergency services reacted really quickly and efficiently.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

It certainly came as a bit of a shock (although I suppose it has been on the cards for a while now), and I am glad that it has not had the effect the perpertrators obviously hoped that it would (in terms of casualties).

Out of curiosity, what is located at Russell Square that could make that area a target (or was it purely by chance that the bus was blown up there)? The reason I ask is that I am sure that the same area was the site of an IRA bombing in the 70's. I used to catch the tube from Archway to Kings Cross and then change to go to Russell Square which was close to where I was working at the time, but I can't for the life of me recall what kind of businesses/offices were mainly established in the area.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

The fact that there are terriosts and people who have no regard for human life in this world takes the fun out of life.
Last edited by ice nine on Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I've been thinking about you all. I'm glad to learn that everyone is okay. What can you say, this is so evil. I pray that you are all well and I pray for peace.
I'm not angry anymore....
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I was in Athens yesterday and flew back into Heathrow last night. I was expecting tighter security than usual, but everything was suprisingly calm.

There's not much I can add that hasn't already been said - but I it is so good to see that London will not be beaten down by these bastards.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Tim(e) wrote: Out of curiosity, what is located at Russell Square that could make that area a target
You have the main museums there so you get a lot of tourists milling around the area. There is also the popular Russell Square gardens that a lot of people use too. :(
COME ON YOU SPURS!!