Terror in London

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Two weeks to the day...

London definitely does not deserve this bullshit.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Thank goodness it seems relatively mild right now from what I'm hearing on NPR. One injury reported. Hope it wasn't permanently debilitating for whoever was unlucky enough to be there.

In the meantime, Fox News has beeen gunning for London's mayor for the crime of excessive thougthfullness. (He actually implied that terrorism has like causes and roots and stuff and doesn't exist in a complete vaccuum of pure Western blamelessness. Best he stick to the Fox line that it's the work of Orcs motivated only by beastly beastliness.)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

It may not exist in a vacuum, but it's still pretty fucking beastly. And there will never be a reason good enough to try to blow up civilians. No motive strong enough to elicit any sympathy.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bobster

Post by bobster »

No one's disagreeing with that.

And that's the problem. The U.S. right simply insists that noting that, say, terrorism is a tool that people who don't have access to armies sometimes use to try and achieve an objective, gets you labelled a "terrorist apologist." It's a simple statement of fact and nothing more, but they have a problem with that because all they want to hear is "bad terrorists bad bad bad bad terrorist bab evil bad evil bad bad." Frankly, I think they're insecure about the matter.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I agree, and I wasn't trying to pick a fight with you. I had just seen the news and was feeling pissed is all.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It could be copycats, or it could be very much connected, though why this bunch mixed their chemicals wrong and didn't get explosions and the first lot didn't is a mystery, if they're connected. One of them was set next to a mother and young child. The thought that July 7 was no one-off and may be the pattern of things for a long time to come is truly sickening. Because the Madrid bombers were intercepted before they could do more, it seems so mch more shocking that now we're beyond that, that we escaped today without injury, but the very same people or their cohorts will be back soon for more.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

more shit today....what the fuck is wrong with the world
corruptio optimi pessima
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I could almost sense some anger in Elvis's his voice when he was singing PL&U on the Today show this morning.

Again, I hope you guys take care over there.
Helios

Post by Helios »

I regret missing this morning's segment. I slept through, assuming it would be akin to the Letterman performance last night.

From where I am I would say most of the problem lies w/people who commit terrorist acts thinking their message will be conveyed to government & other political figures by harming civilians. The people in power I have in mind seem impervious to this, instead taking it as an afront to the administration. They react w/platitudes of keeping military envoys in Iraq and staying until 'we' 'win'. Meanwhile, the everyday people - no matter what country they reside - unjustly pay the price.

I wonder what Joe Strummer would have to say about all this.
Otis Westinghouse

Things take a horrible turn with an innocent Brazilian electriician being gunned to death. How the hell did that happen? Hope that's a one-off, truly terrifying. It's bad enough taking the tube thinking some sick arsehole is going to blow you up without having the added possibility of being gunned. Next up, no bags on the tube or you die.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Things take a horrible turn with an innocent Brazilian electriician being gunned to death. How the hell did that happen? Hope that's a one-off, truly terrifying. It's bad enough taking the tube thinking some sick arsehole is going to blow you up without having the added possibility of being gunned.
There are a lot of unanswered questions about that though Otis.

I've got a meeting in Euston on Wednesday assuming the people I'm meeting still want to travel down from Scotland. I'm not looking forward to using the tube and am not sure if I'm pleased or not that Mrs VG is away until Thursday.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bobster

Post by bobster »

The whole thing is kind of weird and mysteroius to me. They had to have been convinced he was to blow up something or it doesn't make any kind of sense. I mean, even if they were sort of nightmare/fascist type cops and thought he was one of the bombers, they'd still want to take him alive to "interrogate" him later, unless they were complete idiots and thought they had all the information they needed. Sheer, stupid panic seems to be the only reasonable explanation.
Otis Westinghouse

Yes, lots of unanswered questions, and there'll be a long inquest on that one. Seems he was running away as if thinking they were out to deport him. Something about him thinking he was here illegally when apparently Jack Straw said he wasn't. 8 times. 7 to the head, one to the shoulder.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

One eye witness said the victim was wearing 'a bomb belt with wires sticking out' (that was probably his electricians gear), another described him as 'asian'. Just shows how things can be so easily misinterpreted.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

There you go. And those are just our initial questions. There'll be a long investigation but only one person could have protested his innocence and given answers. And he's dead.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

This death just proof that terrorism works. People are terrified, including the police. What more could terrorists ask but for the *police* to be doing the killing for them?