The Recommendation Game

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

Okay so I'll try again...

Umm... Jackie Greene

(you guys are so funny :P )
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

miss buenos aires wrote:Let's see...it's not really a band that I'm looking for a way into so much as it is the early 80s British indie pop scene. I got a Rough Trade comp, but I don't know where to go from there. If I have to choose a band, I guess I will go with Josef K.
Not wanting to not play by the rules (which I do, great game!), but can't pass up a chance to bang on about ... Josef K only did one LP, The Only Fun In Town. It's not them at their best. They had to re-record it (and the unreleased original was really bad!), and still didn't get it right. Their best is in the singles, Chance Meeting, Sorry For Laughing, It's Kinda Funny (though the re-recorded version of the latter on the LP is probably to better version), Endless Soul. There's a superb compilation on CD, Young and Stupid, which I have yet to buy (quite unbelievably), and so still only have it all on vinyl, but I will soon. I think this has all the above titles on. One to buy without hearing, cos you will love it. Their influence on Franz F is inestimable.

Maybe a thread on the broader topic of your interest is required. It's almost my PhD subject, and I'm overshadowed in my knowledge by others here (such as Richard).

Back to the rules...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
miss buenos aires wrote:Let's see...it's not really a band that I'm looking for a way into so much as it is the early 80s British indie pop scene. I got a Rough Trade comp, but I don't know where to go from there. If I have to choose a band, I guess I will go with Josef K.
Not wanting to not play by the rules (which I do, great game!), but can't pass up a chance to bang on about ... Josef K only did one LP, The Only Fun In Town. It's not them at their best. They had to re-record it (and the unreleased original was really bad!), and still didn't get it right. Their best is in the singles, Chance Meeting, Sorry For Laughing, It's Kinda Funny (though the re-recorded version of the latter on the LP is probably to better version), Endless Soul. There's a superb compilation on CD, Young and Stupid, which I have yet to buy (quite unbelievably), and so still only have it all on vinyl, but I will soon. I think this has all the above titles on. One to buy without hearing, cos you will love it. Their influence on Franz F is inestimable.

Maybe a thread on the broader topic of your interest is required. It's almost my PhD subject, and I'm overshadowed in my knowledge by others here (such as Richard).

Back to the rules...
Oh dear lovely Otis, I was hoping you'd chime in! Thanks!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I don't know any Jackie Greene, so I shouldn't be typing. But...

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Dizzy Gillespie - Live at Newport

Now back to Jackie Greene
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I meant "Blue Train" by Coltrane. Thank you for the correction. I had just commented to my daughter that a new popular song on the radio was sampling the first "Soul to Soul" lp, and I had soul on the mind.

Now back to Jackie Greene
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

There was actually a record calles Soul Train (or perhaps Soul Trane), but it was not a major label release (I think it was one of those Laser Light Cds, wiht tracks culled from some sort of publishing rights limbo. Can't say for sure). I didn't realize I was correcting you; I thought you might actually be suggesting Soul Trane, which might be great (I never heard it). But since you meant Blue Train, I heartily concur. Gret, great record.

Say, can anyone recommend a good starting place for Jackie Greene?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

when flipping through my ozark mountain daredevils collection, i like to...oh wait, that's jackie blue.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Who the hell is Jackie Greene anyway?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Isn't he one of the fellas in Reservoir Dogs?
corruptio optimi pessima
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

http://www.jackie-greene.com
Never heard of him but one of these might take your fancy: http://www.jackie-greene.com/music/

Can anybody recommend a starting point for Jonatha Brooke?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

as a solo artist, "10 Cent Wings" is the first semi-clear picture you get, really her first album outside of "The Story". The "Live" cd may also give a listener a well-rounded snapshot. But for god's sake it is folk music--find a horn or an outlet.

Matthew Sweet
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Start with Girlfriend. It has some of his best songs, including the title track and "Waiting." If Girlfriend doesn't float your boat, Matthew Sweet isn't for you. From there, I highly recommend 100% Fun and Altered Beast, in that order. The former is more accessible, the latter more difficult (but ultimately more rewarding). "Sick of Myself" from 100% Fun is one of my favorite Matthew Sweet tracks.

Tom Waits
--William Shakespeare
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

noiseradio wrote:Start with Girlfriend. It has some of his best songs, including the title track and "Waiting." If Girlfriend doesn't float your boat, Matthew Sweet isn't for you. From there, I highly recommend 100% Fun and Altered Beast, in that order. The former is more accessible, the latter more difficult (but ultimately more rewarding). "Sick of Myself" from 100% Fun is one of my favorite Matthew Sweet tracks.

Tom Waits
Noise, Waits' career breaks down pretty neatly into three periods - his early blues troubadour years, the Island years, where he starts to experiment with strange instruments and vocal approaches, and his later period, which is his most adventurous.

I'd start with Rain Dogs, the best of mid-period Island-era Waits. Of his early albums, Small Change and The Heart of Saturday Night are excellent. I like his most recent album, Real Gone, but Alice, from 2002, is even better IMO.

You really can't go wrong with any of his discs. Swordfishtombones is another favorite.

Kinks suggestions welcome.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's hard to go wrong with Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society. For me, it's Exhibit A in proving that Ray Davies was just as talented a composer as Lennon/McCartney, and that The Kinks were capable of making some of the greatest but most underrated music of the 60s. It doesn't have a whole lot of hits, but there isn't a weak track on the record.

How about Rodney Crowell?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Start with The Houston Kid and then move on to Fate's Right Hand. Diamonds & Dirt is very good but it is also very, very 80's country pop which might be a little strong for some tastes.

Laura Nyro?
bobster

Post by bobster »

I'm not sure this qualifies as an official entry in the game, so I won't ask for any info, but I have I her "Stoned Soul Picnic" "Best of" Set of hers. It's a fairly definitive collection but I gotta say that while many of her songs are wonderful -- great pop hits like "Stoney End" -- a lot of it is a bit slack for my taste, but that's just me.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

ohhhhh, but "Stoney End" can make up for anything.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Bobster, Eli's coming. He wants to know what recommendations you'd like.
--William Shakespeare
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Very creative...
bobster

Post by bobster »

Yes, but what is Eli coming for and why should I care....Okay, since I appear to be the Laura Nyro expert by default here....

Serge Gainsbourg.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

cause "he's comin' to git ya" that's why :roll:

serge gainsbourg and brazil '66 or '77?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

oily slick wrote:cause "he's comin' to git ya" that's why :roll:

serge gainsbourg and brazil '66 or '77?
That's Sergio Mendes :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

bobster wrote:Yes, but what is Eli coming for and why should I care....Okay, since I appear to be the Laura Nyro expert by default here....

Serge Gainsbourg.
Basically, you can't go wrong with any compilation that has "Je t'aime...moi non plus" on it. My comp of choice is Comic Strip, but you might like the jazzier stuff...? I don't know. For some reason, the song that leapt immediately to my mind was "Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde," whose chorus goes like this:

(Women:) Hello, Doctor Jekyll!
(Serge, clearly annoyed:) Non, non, c'est Hyde, Mister Hyde!

Um...Wire.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Now you're talking.

For Wire, you need to start wt the very beginning, with their '77 debut album Pink Flag. 21 songs. 35 minutes. Not a single wasted moment. Every note, every beat--perfection. It also contains "Strange," which REM covered on Document. Stick with Wire's late 70's, early 80's records. They reunited in 1985, but their output was much less inspired.

Sleater-Kinney
--William Shakespeare
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:Basically, you can't go wrong with any compilation that has "Je t'aime...moi non plus" on it. My comp of choice is Comic Strip, but you might like the jazzier stuff...? I don't know.
I remember some creepy tune he did with his daughter Charlotte that had incestual overtones:

"Papa, j'ai peur..."

"Charlotte, je t'aime..."

:shock:

PS: Here it is, "Charlotte Forever". Kind of gives me the heebie-jeebies...

http://www.paroles.net/chansons/12765.htm
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick