Elvis on BBC4 8.30pm Friday 24th June

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Elvis on BBC4 8.30pm Friday 24th June

Post by Neil. »

Last edited by Neil. on Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
millen

Post by millen »

Damn my cable provider!

Somebody!
Please tape this and make something digital out of it!
I'll give you all my gratitude.
:wink:
Zombies man, they freak me out.
John

Post by John »

Welcome Neil.

I think you mean June !

Two TV appearances in one evening - this then Johnny Vegas. I did actually see the DVD positioned relatively prominently in HMV Warrington last weekend.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Elvis, the comeback!

Can't wait to see this. Thanks for the time.

And I can thoroughly recommend the Barcelona FC documenttary later on. Caught it on BBC1 the other week and was totally engrossed. I was amazed at how such a big club let the film-makers get so close in on their inner workings. Great stuff.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Elvis, the comeback!

Can't wait to see this. Thanks for the time.

And I can thoroughly recommend the Barcelona FC documenttary later on. Caught it on BBC1 the other week and was totally engrossed. I was amazed at how such a big club let the film-makers get so close in on their inner workings. Great stuff.
Does it show Rijkaard slipping into Frisk's dressing room at half time? :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Sorry all - I did mean June - 24th June, which is tomorrow! Don't miss it!
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Does it show Rijkaard slipping into Frisk's dressing room at half time? :wink:
Wrong season. It's 2003-2004, so when Joan Laporta was new, and Rijkaard with him. Barca were massively behind Real, and Laporta was getting death threats, but clawed their way back to touching distance of the title. There are several hilarious seasons of the Barca rulers filling their faces with fantastic nosh at the buffet. It's very reminiscent of Goodfellas, with the rulers seeming more like an innocent teenage gang than the people behind one of the biggest teams in footie. Catch if you can. It was also great listening practice for Catalan, as it's 90% in Catalan. A great pleasure to hear so much of that in British TV in one shot. M'agrada molt el catala.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Does it show Rijkaard slipping into Frisk's dressing room at half time? :wink:
Wrong season. It's 2003-2004, so when Joan Laporta was new, and Rijkaard with him. Barca were massively behind Real, and Laporta was getting death threats, but clawed their way back to touching distance of the title. There are several hilarious seasons of the Barca rulers filling their faces with fantastic nosh at the buffet. It's very reminiscent of Goodfellas, with the rulers seeming more like an innocent teenage gang than the people behind one of the biggest teams in footie. Catch if you can. It was also great listening practice for Catalan, as it's 90% in Catalan. A great pleasure to hear so much of that in British TV in one shot. M'agrada molt el catala.
Will have to see if I can catch that somewhere. Sounds like to kind of thing they should be showing on Fox Soccer Channel but probably won't. The Jose Mourinho biography by Luis Lourenco was terrific in that respect - giving you a glimpse of the everyday workings of a soccer club, player disputes, boardroom power-plays, etc.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

P.S. Do you reckon Elvis will go down well at Glasto? I think he means almost nothing to anyone born after about 1978! I think he'll struggle to get much of a reaction, but I hope I'm wrong!
Otis Westinghouse

Well there were some wrinklies enjoying it, and a fair few young 'uns too, though the field wasn't exactly crowded. God the conditions are the worst ever this year, just unbelievable rain and mud. The 30 mins they showed was mostly a predictable Big Ones, exaclty as is the custom at Glasto, so Radio Radio, Chelsea, Roses, Can't Stand, High F, Ollie's, and, pleasingly, Country Darkness and Monkey To Man. Great for some close-up details of the band (there's a great shot of Pete's drumstick on Roses, which in freeze frame might even help me determine the gauge and make of his sticks), Elvis's face, Steve's mad hands, etc., but Steve was frequently absent from the sound. Doves were sounding good, and The Killers anthemic tunes are well-suited to the event. I like the idea of BBC 2 and 3 covering loads of it and BBC 4 doing these 4 x 30 min specials.

It's all whetted my appetite for Cornbury and my first ever Elvis in the open air experience. Should all be very gentle and low-key. Hope the weather's good then!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The BBC 2 prog. at 9 showed Olivers Army - everyone seemed to be having a good time.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

His set is on the BBCi Red button service now. Right now. With between song banter left in.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

http://www.bbccanada.com/schedule/defau ... ime=allday

:x Well, according to this, The Canadian BBC has "Mersey Beat Series 4" at 8:30 (Whatever that is!). Damn it what I would give to be in Britain in an hour! :x
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
John

Post by John »

Bad Ambassador, did they show more songs than the BBC4 programme?
Otis Westinghouse

Damn, we got the red button working for a change, but then it acted up. Wish I'd known! White Stripes were good, within their limits.

Johnny Vegas was ludicrous. Elvis took it all in good spirits, didn't look too awkward (though he does overdo the hand-rubbing when uncomfortable - happier with guitar in hands).
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Grrr..the BBC4 signal was rubbish because of the weather last night so I missed most of the programme. Bloc Party, The Zutons and White Stripes were all v.good on BBC3.

EC maintaining a look of "What the fuck am I doing here?" for a full hour on Johnny Vegas was admirable and highly amusing.
Mikeh

BBC Coverage

Post by Mikeh »

On BBC3 you could choose the band you watched and after 9 one of the options was Elvis - there were some songs not shown in the BBC4 half hour, including Clubland which they captioned "Clubland Blonde" for some reason!
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

...and what about the slide guitar on Needle Time? Has he done that before?
Otis Westinghouse

Not to my knowledge. Dang, if only I'd been more patient about the red button. Hello Mikeh, our first Bradfordian, to my knowledge.
lemo

Post by lemo »

im from bradford! have to move back there next month too
:(

and i was born after 1978, but elvis means a lot to me!
sometimes i almost feel just like a human being
Otis Westinghouse

I work in Cambridge in a place with several Bradfordians present. they're all splendid people. Never been, but respect to the people of Bradford.